Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference between a ZJ Dana 44 and a WJ Dana 44? I know a ZJ has a D44Aluminum, but is the WJ one too? I know a guy who is selling a Trac-Loc out of a WJ D44 and what to know if it could work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've never heard a kind word said about an OEM Trac-Loc. From what I've read the bias is too low. I think "slips too easily" is low bias. Maybe it's too high. Okay, I'll reword that - I've read that they are made to slip easily. Probably because most buyers would rather brag about having limited slip than deal with the NVH (something 'wheelers usually don't care much about) that comes with genuine lock-up.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've never heard a kind word said about an OEM Trac-Loc. From what I've read the bias is too low. I think "slips too easily" is low bias. Maybe it's too high. Okay, I'll reword that - I've read that they are made to slip easily. Probably because most buyers would rather brag about having limited slip than deal with the NVH (something 'wheelers usually don't care much about) that comes with genuine lock-up.

-Mikey-
I had a Dana 35 with the OEM trac-loc and it lasted thru 3 different XJs until they all upgraded to larger rear axles. It still works fine. I'm not sure if the 44 trac-loc is any different. I have heard bad things about the Aluminum 44s though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, they arent the strongest axles on the block. I have read build ups on
D44As that made them pretty darn nice. But I am poor, and am only running only 31's right now... so I dont really have to worry about breaking an axle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi im new to this kinda stuff and saw the thing about the zj vs wj dana 44. are you guys saying that is what comes in them or is that just different models that can be installed

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi im new to this kinda stuff and saw the thing about the zj vs wj dana 44. are you guys saying that is what comes in them or is that just what different models that can be installed

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I know the WJ housing is wider and has different brackets, but as for the actual "hog", I'm not sure if that's the same.

Mallcrawlin.com is a great ZJ/WJ forum, probably could find out on there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts