Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have been wheeling this truck for atleast the last 4 years...:drive:

well it is a 89 F-250 with a 460 and a 5 speed.....3/4 ton obviously...it is an ext. cab body on a std. cab frame....it has a 3" body lift with a homebrew 4" suspension....the thing rides like a brick shithouse....anyways to the point.....The 4" suspension lift consists of mmismatched stock spring's arched 4". The drop brackets are stck brackets that were cut and extended 4". Now most everyone here would say that is dangerous and stupid.....i have not had a problem until now......

the factory bracket is breaking, not where it was extended. I had a friend extend the brackets to get my by until i got some new ones....I took this truck out and jumped the piss out of it for a local off-road shops commercial....i didn't hurt anything except sag the springs....for as much abuse i have done to this truck this is really the worse it eve has gotten.....i had it fixed and the truck is sitting only being driven whenever...I flog the piss out of the ttb and have had good luck with it...now it is time to go to 6" springs, shackle reversal and a sas....

ok now that i got that out of the way......here are some ideas that i had that i thought i would run by you guys......i'm more the kind of secretive type and i like to surprise people with what we manage to build here at the homestead....like the truck for example...not another like it in town...
my thoughts were i wanted to clear 44's.....6" springs, 5" sky shackle reversal, D60 front.....that would be a skyscraper.....atleast i would clear 44's....don't know if i want to be that tall anymore...wouldn't mind 10" total instead of my current 7".....the top picture is my truck on 40" ground hawgs....i plan on putting sliders, a custom front and rear drop bumper, a roof rack system, that i can tie into my sliders and slowly work it into a exo cage. The bed is a longbox bed cut down to be 6" shorter than a shortbox bed. The only problem is the tail of it sticks out a little far and looks a little off to me. My thought is to "bob" the bed and make it match......what is everyones ideas on the way i'm approaching this build? I need some more input.....I have someone that helped me build this truck and value his opinions very much.....however....i want some more ideas just to see if i have beaten these ideas to death or not....

·
Registered
308 Posts
TTB can be a pain, and yes, jumping them can do a number o the bracketry. You just have to be nice, which is kind of tough in the off road world. I try not to get air time with mine, and so far it has treated me fairly well. One thing I do have is an extra support from the extended bracket to my tranny skid, I don’t loose much ground clearance because it's up and out of the way, but it helps a little. Those brackets have a lot of leverage on them and see a lot of force.
As far as the build, IMHO I would not go up any higher. If you can level the truck out and trim to fit, you should be able to clear 44" real easy. If you do go higher, I would recommend removing the BL and going all suspension. One or the other, but not both. Try to keep you COG down, especially if you build and exo or anything like that. Just more weight in top. Also, if you didn't want to mess with a bed bob, you can always go truggy style and run a flat bed or something similar. Set your rear springs where you want them and everything from the rear hanger can go. No bed means you can designate how big a tire you fit yourself. Another consideration when sas is push the front forward as few inches. IMO a lifted ford brings the axle too close to the firewall. I know that under compression the axle moves forward, but under normal driving conditions it's still close and it can even look off.
But regardless, I'm interested in seeing what route you take and how things go. Currently I'm running a smaller version of what you have.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Body lift is not removable without cab bottom or frame work. Its the ext. cab on standard cab frame thing.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
What's the extra T for?
"Troublesome"
"Terrible"
"Thorn (in my ass)"
"Traumatic"
"Tender (wheeling required because I have a..>)
"Thinskinned (when it comes to articulation and brute strength)"

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

"Troublesome"
"Terrible"
"Thorn (in my ass)"
"Traumatic"
"Tender (wheeling required because I have a..>)
"Thinskinned (when it comes to articulation and brute strength)"

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geez must have had a few of these....:beer:

I can't remove the body lift because i needed it to clear the frame....unless i mess with the structure of the body floorpan to drop it back down...the reason for the ext. cab on the the std. cab frame is because i got the ext. cab from a friend that had t-boned a gal on Meridian road. The frame was dang near a pretzel and not worth my time to try to repair....so i got a 1 off truck so to say.....133" wheelbase.....turns on a dime....it won't once i get the 60 in it tho.....i'll keep updating this as i build the truck up....

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
geez must have had a few of these....:beer:

I can't remove the body lift because i needed it to clear the frame....so i got a 1 off truck so to say.....133" wheelbase.....turns on a dime....it won't once i get the 60 in it tho.....i'll keep updating this as i build the truck up....
Not 1 off for long, Bwahahaha

The 94 Donor is in my driveway................ and I might just go 460

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Sorry, 1992 Donor, not 1994 Donor.

155" wheelbase, wow!

(hijack over)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts