Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, time to make some more progress on the XJ. Been kicking around the idea of making some body armor for it, but I would like to have some input, see if anyone has some ideas or suggestions. I have all the equipment needed to fabricate the stuff myself, and like to do it, it's relaxing for me, if that makes any sense, maybe I sniffed too much Brake Kleen today!!

Anyways, thinking of doing a Chassis stiffener (kinda like the T&J one), fully belly pan, and Rock Rails all in one unit. I want to tie them all together and make the center section of the belly pan easily removable for drivetrain service. The tcase and trans sit above the "frame rails" of the XJ, and the factory crossmember sticks down 2 inches, so I want to ditch it and plate the bottom with 3/16 and 1/4 steel for the belly pan, then use 2 inch round tubing for the rock rails, and 1 1/2 by 3/16 square tubing for the stiffener section of it. Anybody got some better ideas, or should I go with what I am thinking and see how it turns out??? :thumb:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
781 Posts
sounds like you have the right idea, IMO a place called DETOURS has the best design for a rock slider/frame stiffner,that i've seen yet, the NAXJA forum should have a link somewhere, and they have lots 'o info in general :thumb:
If you can, stiffen the frame all the way to the front spring tower, not just the LCA mount, I'm doing it with tubing, but it could be done with plate steel as well, and remember a properly designed roll cage will stiffen it up better than anything, that much fabbin' ought to relax you good, it used to relax me until it became a deadline thing, but I still enjoy it more than any "JOB" I've ever had.
I'm getting back on my XJ project in a couple of weeks, and can show pics of how I do it if you'd like :thumb:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
781 Posts
I did an interior cage from the firewall back tied into the sliders so far, the customer had to take it to moab for thanksgiving, so I will be starting on it again after the first of the year, should have it done by the middle of jan.
Here's some pics of so far, I'll post more when I get it done. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
781 Posts
yes that cage is there to stay, but you can completly disassemble the dash no problem except for the vent covers, the way the dash is put together you have to start in the middle and work your way out to get it apart, the heater core and fan are completly serviceable, along with all other major components :thumb:

I've seen a few bolt together cages that were done well, I suppose if they're done right, there shouldn't be a problem with strength, just ALOT MORE WORK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts