Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the worst misdiagnosis you have made on your rig?

Today, I spent ~6 hours troubleshooting my fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and automatic shutdown relay trying to figure out why they wouldn't operate my fuel pump. The jeep had died and I was sure it was the fuel pump. I hard wired to the fuel pump and it appeared to be running but only small spurts of gas were coming out. I thought it was bad wiring because my tester light wasn't lighting up when I started the jeep to check if power was going to the pump.

I finally determined the pump was bad because I decided to jump the jeep with my wifes explorer and found that there was power to the pump. I went to Walmart and got a hand pump to pump out the fuel from the tank. When no fuel pumped out it hit me, I had no gas in the tank. :darn::darn::darn: My gas guage read half full but the tank was actually completely empty. I put 3 gallons in and it started right up. It was then that I remembered to check the simple stuff first. Oh well, at least it was a cheap lesson....

·
Registered
550 Posts
I used to work with a lady that let her dad borrow her car to drive across the state, while he was there the car died so the family took a truck and trailor to get him and car then they found that it was only out of gas, I remember her telling us at work that the fuel gauge read empty but he just did'nt believe that it was.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
That sucks. But in the end it was still cheaper than fixing a pump.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
I once thought I had a pretty cool rig........
took my dumb ass years to realize i was mistaken......lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I once thought I had a pretty cool rig........
took my dumb ass years to realize i was mistaken......lol
So, you have a jeep now??:jeep:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Just had customer that diagnosed his trans was bad, so he pulled it and brought it to me. I found nothing wrong with it, he said it was locked up. So I upgraded and freshened up the trans. He put it in, and thought maybe it was his tcase that was bad, so he dissassembled it, and still nothing. So I go over to his house, and it turns out his shifter is broken in the steering column and therefore not moving the linkage.

Best part is, I asked him about it in the very beginning, and he gave me this long story about how he had already checked everything, and even disconnected the linkage at the trans and tried shifting it there!! :darn::rotfl:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
940 Posts
I took 4 trips after work to boise from MH after the cruiser died in front of circuit city at the mall. I had about 10 hours troubleshooting the lack of spark before giving up & towing it to Peterson's toyota. About 2 days & $300 later they told me it was my fuel injector relay ($12 part). Guess I shoulda searched the net first as this is a common problem on the 3FE engine. Carry a spare everywhere now.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I took 4 trips after work to boise from MH after the cruiser died in front of circuit city at the mall. I had about 10 hours troubleshooting the lack of spark before giving up & towing it to Peterson's toyota. About 2 days & $300 later they told me it was my fuel injector relay ($12 part). Guess I shoulda searched the net first as this is a common problem on the 3FE engine. Carry a spare everywhere now.
The relay isn't actually the problem, it is the wire running to the relay. It causes the relay to get hot as it is too light of a gauge. Swapping the relay will get you down the road though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hehe...a few weeks ago I came home to find my roommate's toyota in pieces...the gas tank was in the bed, fuel pump was on the sidewalk...he replaced the pump, replaced the relay, checked the pickup, everything.....guess what it was? Blown fuse. HAHA....oh well...we all have done it....start with the hardest thing only to find out it was the easiest.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The relay isn't actually the problem, it is the wire running to the relay. It causes the relay to get hot as it is too light of a gauge. Swapping the relay will get you down the road though.
The heavier wire was part of the $300 Petersons got from me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey we all misdiagnose things everyday.
I keep telling myself I like work but thats not it at all I just like the end of the day so I can go home!!!!!:rotfl:

·
Registered
545 Posts
My worst diagnosis ever. I was up in Cascade with my cj. I was showing off for my bro-in-laws. We were doing little hill-climbs in some loose dirt, and having a lot of fun. I was just messing around and tried a spin a cookie, and heard a clunk from the drivetrain and lost forward motion.

I thought I lost my clutch. We towed the jeep back to my wife's grand-dads, and I dropped the tranny. As soon as I had the tranny out I looked at the clutch, and it was fine:(

Started looking at the tranny and t-case. Turns out the t-case had just popped out of gear:lame: To add insult to injury I re-installed the transmission without the clutch fork, and had to drop it again. Still only took about 4hrs with nothing but hand tools. Definetely a learning experience:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts