Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any plans for the winter?

I'm going to try to go with a doubler and I'm toying with the idea of going with a 700r4. Also want to redo the exhaust.

Anybody else?

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
314 Posts
My plans include: Doubler,5:29 gears,Locker front(Aussie),weld rear,finish tube-work and possibly rear seat(Still un-decided if i'm going rear seat)Hope to be finished in time for Easter Jeep Safari in Moab :)

Also plan on starting my new project(72 VW Bug...might restore ... Might Baja....Not sure yet)

·
Registered
401 Posts
4.0 Head swap onto a 4.2 and a Ford 8.8 for rear axle.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Two single seat buggies....very cool parts and ideas with these :D

Rebuild on ambers motor in her zuk

and various shop projects going on like an early bronco D60/d44 Coilover, 302, c4 build up :D

Lots of cool stuff happening out at the shop this winter :D

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I will get my 225 V-6 back from South Side Machine in a couple of weeks, then I will put it back together. In the meantime I will be sandblasting and painting the frame, installing new brake lines, and power steering conversion, maybe even 3 to 5 inches of lift while I am at it. I hope to have the Chasis done and the tub ready to go back on by February or March so I can :drive: .

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
well lets see....
starting with having the timing chain replaced by Todd next week,
then get cage installed, gussetted and modified to my liking,
install dual cases and t-case e-brake,
relocate front spring hanger,
get longs and install,
have front 3rd member rebuilt,
swap out rear end for IFS rear,
rear discs to install,
install pivot blocks,
widening kit fron skys man to install with larger calipers,
finish/re do tire carrier.
Unfortunately a lot hinges on how much help I can round up with a few projects....

all hopefully before spring so that I can wheel the crap out of it and not have any mechanical malfunctions!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
hopefully no builds going on for me this winter. i have to get all the idaho wheeling in i can before i leave. i just need to get the carb going more like a gas engine and not blow black smoke like a diesel.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dana 60 front axle.
I have the axle, need to decide some things...full width ? narrow long side? leave it 8 lug? change to 5 lug? Match rear dana 60 or replace it with full width 14 bolt? Sell 5 lug trail readys and get 8 lug? Suggestions? Need Detroit and 5.38 gears for it too

·
Registered
496 Posts
well lets see....
starting with having the timing chain replaced by Todd next week,
then get cage installed, gussetted and modified to my liking,
install dual cases and t-case e-brake,
relocate front spring hanger,
get longs and install,
have front 3rd member rebuilt,
swap out rear end for IFS rear,
rear discs to install,
install pivot blocks,
widening kit fron skys man to install with larger calipers,
finish/re do tire carrier.

all hopefully before spring so that I can wheel the crap out of it and not have any mechanical malfunctions!

Are you really swapping a solid axle out? What are you going to use?

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Sorry Tony, that wasn't very clear...

going with an IFS sold rear end, 3" wider overall but still a solid axle 8" rear end. With the rear end I currently have/had on my '82 (same width) I would stuff the tire into the frame hampering my articulation and as we all know I can use all I can squeze out as I am running all my sheetmetal.

off the subject but it was a blast to see you again and see the new machine in action!

later,
star

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
  1. Finish the second prototype camp trailer so I can get my new business going.
  2. Pull the engine out of Bad Dawg and let Pat Bratton go through it again. Not sure what we will do this time, maybe just a freshen-up.
  3. Pull the tranny out of the Dawg and have the stripped out bolt hole to the tansfercase adapter repaired.
  4. Thinking of a four link in the rear of the Dawg but not sure if it would be worth the expense and work for the results (any weight lose? Better traction?)
  5. Try, once again, to finish restoring the '72 GMC (drop in the new crate 383, install the Painless wireing kit, put the heater back in to replace the AC I took out to save HP and finish the interior).
  6. Maybe get started on our '61 Austin Heally Bug Eye Sprite restoration (again).

·
Registered
341 Posts
Simple winter projects...........First is my tear down and reconstruction of a aquired Fj40 and making it a FJ40/45 hybrid.
Then I have to fix a couple of items on my other 40 that i don't like.
After that or in between I have to fix some items on a Chevy pickem up so I can sell it and have some $ to finish the above two.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
If I can make enough money my winter project will be build my buick motor and swap it in the blazer. I doubt I will make that much so other than that lower the front end 3"s build bumpers build a roll cage. Custom dash. Turn the knuckles on my front 60, put an exhaust on, paint it orange build new wheel wells put the heater in and about a billion other little things. Nothing though that will take me down for too long. I plan on wheeling alot this winter

Other projects include Corys project build a flat bed for Erics Toyota, probably help Jarrod with a certain axle swap.

So yeah not doing much :rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
In progress here. Just finished getting the top half painted. Just waiting until Dec/Jan to get it into Line-X to spray the inside and body line down on the outside.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts