Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got a T Max 9500. I'm lookign at getting synthtic and was wondering how much I could squeze on there. I'm prob going to stick with 5/16 and was lookigna t getting 125', but if I can stick 150' I'll do that. Also, what kind of numbers can you get on with a 3/8 synthetic? I've got a buddy running 150' of 3/8" on his 8274, but he's got a lot more room than I do...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Anymore that 5/16's is over kill....

Also, I wouldnt stick more than 100' on there. What happens is if your not paying attention sucking the winch rope in there, it will bunch up and bust the connecting rods side to side....

100' of 5/16's is perfect for those winches!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best I've got thus far is 100' of Amsteel and self locking hook for 120.00 anybody got anything else?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I just run steel cable. It's cheap and it works.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, new, it's not the blue, it's the yellow and orange, is there a difference?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Amsteel has a rating for each color....Id check the rating..

Amsteel blue is good for 13,700#'s
Masterpull superline (Yellow) is good for 16,500#'s

Also make sure you are getting a skuff guard...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
How is steel cable dangerous to you and others? Use it properly and it's no more dangerous than synthetic line. If it was so bad, every winch would be coming with synthetic from the factory.

I had looked into getting some when I replace my steel rope, but I've found that it breaks and melts on the drum too easy. Don't know if that's the earlier stuff? A few guys in AK have been running the Amsteel Blue and I haven't really hear spectacular results.

Cost is another thing. $0.40-0.50 a foot for steel rope, 1.something a foot for synthetic.

Not trying to start a debate. Just I'll run steel rope until the synthetic rope gets better.

Rudezuk said:
I dont understand why they still have steel cable out there!!

It is dangerous to use to yourself, and to others around you.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
nate said:
How is steel cable dangerous to you and others? Use it properly and it's no more dangerous than synthetic line. If it was so bad, every winch would be coming with synthetic from the factory.
Ever see synthetic rope put a hole in a windshield -- nope
Winch makers try to keep the cost down of there product by putting the cheapest thing on the spool.....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
steel cable will fray, cutting your hands if you use it with out gloves.

If steel cable will "snap back" if it breaks underload.....Possibly killing someone.

Rope, you can use with your bare hands all the time.
Rope when and if it breaks will just fall to the ground, it will not snap back.

As a rule, Rope is at least 25% stronger than the same size cable, sometimes double the strength.

Downside to rope is, that it can be cut, that is why you get the scuff guard.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah. I'll stick to my wire rope until it's too messed up, and then I'll decide. I've seen synthetic melt to the drum as well. Seems to break a lot easier than cable for one reason or another.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, there are preventative measures for each. I want synthetic for the simplicity and ease of use. No more kinks, gloves, and all that other hassle, as far as melting on the drum, they are rated to somewhere around 900deg. I know some manufacturers say a winch can get anywhere between 200-250 and some even up to 300, but as far as melting a rope onto a drum I personally have never heard or seen it. Maybe in earlier products. And if that is a concern, there is a fire line brand that is a made specific to resist higher temps. As far as price, yeah, it's more, that’s why I'm shopping around, but IMO, it's worth it. Also if you break steel on the trail, you can't really fix it. Synthetic can be easily fixed, and I've witnessed that first had.

Back on topic, anybody know the ratings on Amsteel Yellow or Orange? I couldn’t find anything on my searches...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Amsteel Blue. Warn M8000

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Oh I'm not making it up just to make a point or anything like that.

I thought about getting some synthetic rope, but I thought otherwise after seeing that. The line, normally it's round. Well this was all flat and the line was all stuck to itself on the drum. Was a PITA to unspool! It didn't melt into a blob if that's what your thinking. But melted enough that the line was bascially junk. I think the guy is still using it though.

Rudezuk said:
Sorry Nate....I would have to see it with my own eyes to believe it...

I have used too much winch rope to see this possible

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The line will flatten out with use....but it doesnt melt...

Yes sometimes it flattens out and its tough to unspool, but it doesnt melt to itself..

Now that you explained it like that, I understand what you are talking about. It is a normal thing with rope.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
muddinmike said:
some good info here on capacity's and strength's
muddinmike said:

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm[/quote]

Yeah, I've seen that site, but I couldn’t find any info on the specific lines they have, or at least, not what I think I'm looking for. But thanks, I may just have to call them up and see what they say.

As far as heat, this quote was taken directly from te site:
"X-Line™ can handle the heat, unlike the competition! It has a decomposition temperature of 932°F, and can be used at 400°F for long periods of time. Even at 490°F, it maintains more than half of its tensile strength that was measured at room temperature"
Other lines out there do not carry this high of a rating, but if your winch is operating at 400+ deg something else is wrong.
I don't want to start an argument; everybody is entitled to their opinions. I have seen rope that was fairly flat and spooled on like junk and seemed pretty useless on a guy's 8000 as well. I'm not sure if that is cause from the winch or from improper care, but he kept using it as well. I believe after several years of use the rope itself stretches out and flattens out, but I can't say that from experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts