Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm not trying to stir up any more bullshit, I just want to give you guys something to mull over and maybe discuss.

The story:

Mikey blows up his gears in the 14 bolt under the Bronco. He's pissed because he's got to drop a bunch of money to fix it, and feels that they didn't last as long as they should have.

Now my point:

Mikey has me install his gears, because he either doesn't know how or didn't feel comfortable doing it. Maybe he just didn't have the tools. Anyway you slice it he comes to me the expert to do the install. He must of had the confidence That I could do the job or why did he pay me to do it.
Fast foward to present day and the blown up gears. Now Mikey is a gear expert and determines that his gears blew up because of bad set-up.

Here's the real point, why is it always the shops fault if something breaks? All of you come to us to do your work, ask what you need, help you buy the right parts. Then something breaks and now your an expert all of the sudden, I can't even set-up 14 bolt gears. (just using the currant example)I always did the best job I could, and never refused to fix anything I didn't get right or parts that were bad. Yet I've had to defend myself on the largest 4x4 site in the world (sorry Matt ) before any actual edivence showed me to be at fault.

This is another example of personal responsiblity. So before you start pointing fingers and running your mouth or fingers off, look closely at yourself and maybe ask an expert his opinion. We (shops in general) were good enough when the job was done, so why turn your back on us so fast.

I understand there have been and will be plenty of times that a shop is at fault, but maybe you might give em the benfit of a doubt, until facts prove it was their fault. In this example I'm not really affected by Mikeys little temper tantrum, since I'm no longer in business. However business is how most shops put food on the table for their families. Going public to thrash a shops reputation is a big deal !! This kind of shit has driven many of good shops to go away, for me all I lost was a friend.

Just something to think about........ Pepper

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Pepper I understand the reason for your frustration. I do buisness with alot of shops and typically I don't have problems. I go to a shop to set up my gears because even though I could do it the cost of breakage is to much for me do myself.(losing locker and such) Also someting that wasn't brought up is what gear set was it? Genuine yukon ??? Nothing is ever perfect and it could be a bad gear set. It could be a bad set up. It could be a bad break in. The only way to really know is to take it to an expert and have them tell you.

As far as the HBRK aspect I NEVER had a problem with anything you helped me with Pep. But when I got my high steer arm from shane I got given the wrong side. ( Not an expert and didn't know it was wrong till I went to put it on) No problem another trip to boise and I had the right arm and then I put it on and it isn't tapped for a large chevy TRE that was on the drag link you built. I ended up fileing it to fit. I was upset I didn't get the right arm the first time, BUT I was given another one without a hassle and it made me happy. When the shop is still in buisness and you can work issues out with them it helps. In ending I think a friendship is worth more than a set of gears.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lehi, you're exactly right... a friendship is worth way more than some gears. I only used Mikey because this was the first time I've been really pissed about a customer bitching. I can see why the people in Bosie would doubt HBRK, no history and didn't stay around very long.
My point wasn't really about this case, it was more in general that: Customers are very fast to turn their back on a shop.

AS for reasons why HBRK closed, it was more personal than business.

Mikeys gear problem, even though I agree with others ,that lack of oil caused the melt down. I'd of done everything possible to get him new gears and would of installed them for free. His posting on Pirate and calling me a f**cker without even calling me, is why I no longer consider him my friend. Mikey has been pissed at Shane for awhile and that's their battle. It's also probably why he ranted like he did. Still it just brought to my mind about so many times I've seen shops get hammered over stuff thats not their fault.

I'm over the whole thing, I just wanted to kind of put the idea out there ... Think before you start, talking or typing.

·
Registered
781 Posts
As a shop owner it has always been my philosophy that the customer is always right, (even if they are not in my eyes), that's not to say that I will let customers walk all over me, but I will do all I can with in reason to keep them happy, even if it means losing some money on the deal:darn: , after all unhappy customers don't come back and spend any money, and niether do the new potential customers that the unhappy ones talk to.
I have had a problem or two in the past, and have always made sure that I remidied the problem or made sure that the customer knows all they have to do is bring it in at thier convenience and we will take care of the problem whether I believe it was my fault or not.
I am a firm believer that bussiness can be gained from a bad sale by handling it properly, the customer will come back if they have confidence that they will be taken care of if a problem ever arises, and they tell thier friends how something went bad and the shop went way out of thier way to make it right.

What I don't understand is, how can HBRK be out of bussiness when there is an add in every crawl mag, they are still vendors here and on pirate???? even being in bussiness part time,........ is being in bussiness!!
I hope Mike and Pepper can work this out as it is truly sad to see a friendship end over a set of gears, I actually quit a recycling bussiness that a friend and I started, to keep from losing him as a friend:(
While this attitude may not work for everyone it has kept me in bussiness for almost 7 years now, just my .02

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
pepdaddy said:
My point wasn't really about this case, it was more in general that: Customers are very fast to turn their back on a shop.
I think the reason most people are so fast to turn there back on a shop if they have a problem is the fact that they took it to the shop to get it done right the first time. If they wanted to fool with whatever it is over and over they would have just done it them selves and took a chance. But instead of saving their money and taking a chance they pay the money to have it done "right" and when it doesnt work now they're pissed because if they wanted whatever it was to not work they would have done it them selves.

pepdaddy said:
Mikeys gear problem, even though I agree with others ,that lack of oil caused the melt down.
I got about half a pan of oil out of it and the pinion still rotates. Say it was low on oil, everyone I have talked to said that if it was, the bearings would have been squealing like a gut shot cat, thats a quote lol. I didnt measure the oil that came out of it, but from all the people I talked to, they all agree the bearings would have made a ton of noise if it was low on oil. So between that and hearing from 2 other sources that 3 other sets of gears that were set up down there have had to be replaced allready it led me to belive that mine were set up incorrecty also.

pepdaddy said:
I'd of done everything possible to get him new gears and would of installed them for free. His posting on Pirate and calling me a f**cker without even calling me, is why I no longer consider him my friend.
I called you a month or two ago when they broke and brought up that my rear end locked up and it was fried. You said I was hard on stuff so I just left it alone, I could see it wasn't going anywhere. I could of been wrong maybe I should have bitched more to ya on the phone but you just changed jobs down there and your rig was takin a shit and from the conversation we had it sounded like things were goin shitty for you so I just left it alone. Didnt need to rub salt in a open wound you know.

pepdaddy said:
Mikey has been pissed at Shane for awhile and that's their battle. It's also probably why he ranted like he did.
Is it that noticable:p So anyhow, I contacted shane about my issue sense he is still operating the name "hbrk4x4" and his fix would cost me another 500 dollars. Which I could pay that to any shop to have my rear end fixed. So yeah I was pissed about it and started to rant. I know he thinks he's "hooking me up" by giving me "his" cost on a set of gears and having his buddy set em up but the truth is I could get it done anywhere else for that price so why would I want to take it back there :confused:

pepdaddy said:
I'm over the whole thing
Im still iritated that I have to regear the rearend, but not realy at you pep. You have hooked me up over the last few years and we had some good times
pepdaddy said:
hey mikey they're calling the cops, get out of here! Hey jen go down a few blocks and get mikey
:rotfl: Id still sit down and drink a :beer: with you. Its up to you if you would do the same.

·
Registered
530 Posts
hahahahaha..heeeeeeeeeeeey wait,in that qoute "hey mikey they called the cops,take off,and jen go get mikey"
We didnt even know that godless hussys name! hahahahaha
That was the 1st time we had met her at the strip club..remember I went over and told her it was Mikeys birthday and to go over and talk to him.And right as the cops were pulling up,she pulled up with that mile long cigarette hanging out her grill,and asked "wheres Mikey" and we told her "down town,go grab him" and she went peeling out the parking lot with the cop parked right behind her.
hahahahahahahahaha GOD DAAAAAAAAAAANG Man I had some awesome times going out on HBRK shop\boys nite with ya'll
:beer: Miss you crazy cats :beer:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad to see the attempt at closure and the salvaging of a friendship. There are alot of factors when setting up a rear end, should the failure have came from oil starvation you probabl should have caught it at your first change. I like to fill mine, spin the axle a few times then pump her full again even going as far as plugging the lower half of fill hole. Off the point...I believe it is a measure of one's self to recognize friendships even if bad business was present.(not saying there was).Anyway its all about friends and wheelin. Peace. out.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
:beer: Miss you crazy cats :beer:
I think im going to try and find my long lost love the night before thanksgiving at shortys this year:beer: Too bad I dont have a wingman to barf on the floor while macking on the cashier :rotfl:

·
Registered
530 Posts
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Daaaang I forgot about that..hahaha,I still swear that waitress that wantted me to bite her ass at our table,and was trying to take me home had slipped something in my drink!!! Not to mention my mom wasnt to pleased at me or Pepper for showing up for Thanksgiving dinner 2 minutes before the family started eating,hung over as shit hahahahahah,ahhhh good memories,thanks for the flash back
:beer:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright here's my last word on this whole deal.

Mikey I don't remember talking about your gears, so I'm sorry I didn't pay attention. There was a ton going on then. As for the failure, nobody will ever know exactly what happened back there. It's common to give one year on parts and labor. Since your install was almost 2 yrs old, there's no coverage for parts. As for labor, conventional wisdom and expierence is that a bad set-up will fail sooner than later. Something as bad as your meltdown would have had problems. I know you feel like you didn't drive the Bronc that much, how many trips to Blacks, out to Carnage, some mud races, and to the sand dunes? Bottom line you now think I can't set-up gears, and feel yours should be replaced for free. Every business has to draw the line somewhere, you passed 1 year so I can't help you. I tried to get gears from Randy's and they said no way. You mentioned others who've needed new gears, this is the first I've heard about it.

To everybody who reads this. Shane was the orignal owner of the name HBRK 4x4. We chose to use that name as the business in Boise. When we closed down the shop, it was agreed that there would be no more HBRK 4x4. Shane wanted to sell parts on the web site hbrk4x4.com. Shane has opened his shop under the same basic name of hbrk4x4.com. ( this is what the adds in Crawl say ) Now there's HBRK 4x4 again and even the club, it was always my position that this was all to closely related and would get confusing. I however have no control over Shane's choices. He wanted to have a shop and club so now he's got them. It's his to deal with, I'll try to help any of our customers with any problems or questions they may have. All I can hope is Shane does the same.

My cell number 208-761-7266 Pepper

Mikey I'm still a little pissed, but it's nothing a few Chili Bombs won't fix:beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts