Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a need for 2 different services.

1 - who do people like to use for windshield replacement? I have a new windshield gasket and need new glass installed. Who does good work at a good price around here?

2 - which shops do people like to use for the 'emissions testing' work. ie - I don't have much faith in my rig passing emissions the first time around (mainly due to my poor tuning abilities). So I was hoping on taking it too a shop that would hook it up to the emissions machine, tune it down to where it easy passes, and then set the carb where it needs to be with all that. So I guess I need a shop that is good with tuning carbs and can also do emissions.

What do you all suggest? I can't believe they are actually making me get my 1967 rig emissions passed, but I guess that is what we get to deal with.

thanks,
dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't had to deal with any of the glass shops but I have dealt with rigs that won't pass emmisions. I would take it to Tune Tech on State Street and ask for Sean. He is a very good mechanic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Since when does a 1967 vehicle need to be tested for emissions? Several years ago I had a 72 Jimmy that never required an emissions test. I thought that after a certain year vehicles were not required to be inspected. I guess it changed, but when?:drive:

·
Registered
298 Posts
We normally always use Fast Glass for our windshields. They come to where ever you are and are VERY affordable -

If you are looking for a emissions place in Meridian I would suggest Meridian Automotive - they are very good but a little pricey - but you do get what you pay for!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta love Ada county... I was surprised when they said I needed emissions for the 67, it didn't even come stock with smog equipment. Oh well, there are ways to make it pass.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Since when does a 1967 vehicle need to be tested for emissions? Several years ago I had a 72 Jimmy that never required an emissions test. I thought that after a certain year vehicles were not required to be inspected. I guess it changed, but when?:drive:

ADA county requires anything newer than '64 to pass smog.........

way to get around it, get collector plates and no smog is needed. (have to show that this is not your dd and you can't get custom plates but it doesn't require smog.)

·
Registered
374 Posts
You have got to be kidding me!!!!

So I need to figure out how to get my 1968 Dodge Charger with a 440 to pass emissions? When did all this start?

what about seatbelts? I had a 1965 galaxie that had no seatbelts from the factory.

Rant off...........

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
to make matters owrse, California exempts pre '78? vehicles now.... rat fink b*st*rds

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first bronco, a 1974, failed for high HC at 2500RPM. I ended up taking it in to Tune Tech if I remember correctly, 2 years ago, and they got it too pass. Granted it cost me 100$.

I believe I am going to try it on my own first, after going through all the different tuning steps using a vacumn gauge and such. Then if I don't pass I will take Rick up on his offer to help with the tune to get it too pass.. Either way I think I will hold on spending the big money to get it too pass.. I just did the math and with the new 24 gallon fuel tank I am going to need all the extra change I have just to fill it up.:darn:

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I would take it to ken at foothill motors...he is a vendor on this website...he does good work. I have zero complaints

fast glass is who i have used in the past...they do good work

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would take it to ken at foothill motors...he is a vendor on this website...he does good work. I have zero complaints

X2 on Foothill Motors, I've taken a couple of rigs there and just let Ken handle it. Got them back with all the right paper work and good to go for another year. Price was well within reason and I didn't have to waste my time messing with the county's bullsh*t

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Live in Elmore county.

·
Registered
341 Posts
to make matters owrse, California exempts pre '78? vehicles now.... rat fink b*st*rds
No, the rolling exemption in California was stopped awhile ago........Vehicles 1975 and older are smog exempt........But that also varies from county to county, there are some places in California that don't require and emission test.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I didn't know Ken at Foothills did Emission testing too - I would have recommended him had I known that!

When we lived in Ada County my 75 Burb passed with flying colors but we had a lot of trouble with Rocky's truck so our solution was to register it at my parents in Canyon County. Illegal yes but we now we live in Canyon County too so our grief is over until they pass a law to get emissions testing there.

I'm glad Fast glass worked out for you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts