Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
ITTC Wench!
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like your opinion(s) on a good tire for my Jeep Wrangler. Currently running Cooper STT 33's and upgrading to 35's. We are wanting to get another tire that is aimed more towards rocks. We dont need a "rock crawling" tire, but something that will grip more then the current tires that we have. Any ideas?? Looking to buy this week so any suggestions will help. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You're still daily driving it correct? I love my Toyo MTs. If you are dissatisfied with the STTs then my other recommendation is mute. I would say the Pro Comp Extreme MTs and right now they have the buy 3 get 1 free sale.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Iroks or tsl radials. The radial versions would be great for you.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
MT/R that is all that needs to be said!!!!!
Exactly!!

MT/Rs are what you want. Roxanne had them on her TJ and they had great road manners, good grips in the rocks and worked great in the mud, snow and sand.

in the rocks

In the sand/mud

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
We have a set of the new Trepador Radials from Maxxis on ambers Zuk. We are hopefully going to try them out soon.

They were installed just after the fun crawl last year, and the rig has been sitting since. But they look like an awesome tire! Super thick sidewall too!

I think it will be the best of both worlds for people wanting an aggressive offroad tire that will work in many conditions as well as have mild street manners.

Here is a pic of them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Exactly!!

MT/Rs are what you want. Roxanne had them on her TJ and they had great road manners, good grips in the rocks and worked great in the mud, snow and sand.

in the rocks

In the sand/mud

You really have to watch these tires.... They have a super thin sidewall and can puncture easily! I have even seen competitors rip open sidewalls on man made courses......

·
Registered
452 Posts
How do the sidewalls on Trxus Mt's compare with MTR's? From what I've seen they perform similarly offroad.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I would never run MTRs unless they were given to me. I had a set on my truck and they didn't last long at all. The BFG M/Ts are much better.

On the trails, the MTRs suck horribly in mud. They do "ok" on rocks, but not great. Shoot, I drove my ZJ up the same exact line some guy in a rock buggy was trying to do with a set of 40" MTRs. It took him like 7 or 8 tries and WOT.
I do have to say that they will last a long time playing on rocks vs a TSL. Moab sandstone burns down TSLs fast!

I'm a fan of TSLs, SXs, and IROKs.

The BFG M/T, Toyos or Trxus M/T are great as well for something that is street driven alot.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have run TSLs, BFG muds, Toyos, MT/Rs, BFG A/Ts and off brands in a multitude of sizes and geography on a multitude of vehicles ranging from 1953 willys cj-3bs, commandos, TJs, CJ5s and rock buggies.

The best ALL AROUND tire I ran was the MT/Rs. From my own experiences. They will be the tire I put on the next ALL AROUND vehicle I build.

Shane is right. the sidewalls are a weakpoint if you are in sharp rocks, tree roots/branches or are aired down enough for tire pinch.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I have never run them but it seems like mtrs would be your best bet. I have alot of freinds who have them and they all like them. Also the truxus mts those are my two recomdiations.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Another issue with the MTRs is the cost. I'm not sure if it's as bad here in the lower 48?

I paid $235 a tire for the BFG M/Ts on my truck. That was with shipping from Washington.

The Goodyear dealer right there in Anchorage wanted $300 a tire for the MTRs and that was the cheapest in town.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have run TSLs, BFG muds, Toyos, MT/Rs, BFG A/Ts and off brands in a multitude of sizes and geography on a multitude of vehicles ranging from 1953 willys cj-3bs, commandos, TJs, CJ5s and rock buggies.

The best ALL AROUND tire I ran was the MT/Rs. From my own experiences. They will be the tire I put on the next ALL AROUND vehicle I build.

Shane is right. the sidewalls are a weakpoint if you are in sharp rocks, tree roots/branches or are aired down enough for tire pinch.

I was given a set of MTR's to run in 03. 37" on a 17" wheel. I thought they were a horrible tire. My 37" boggers I took off worked better, even in comps. I tried them at moon rocks, on the con, at an OHV park with dirt and mud too.

They were made for the people that want a big tire to haul ass down the free way :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yup. They didn't last too long on my truck either, about 25000 miles. The BFGs I have have close to 25,000 and are still around 60% tread.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was given a set of MTR's to run in 03. 37" on a 17" wheel. I thought they were a horrible tire. My 37" boggers I took off worked better, even in comps. I tried them at moon rocks, on the con, at an OHV park with dirt and mud too.
Bah - what do you know about comps anyway??:flipoff:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts