Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 39.5 13.50 15 Iroks...

Votes: 13 59.1%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running grooved 38.5 sx's and can't be happier with their performance offroad, and can stand the shake and wobbles that are typical with sx's. For the ammount of street driving I do they're just a little too heavy and it would be nice for me to take a girl on a date and not have her
ask if my truck was going to fall apart because of my wonderfully egg shaped sx's.

I drive my truck around 9000 miles a year, with an even mix of offroad, driving to the trail and a bit of DD. Half the year I wheel in vegas and moab, typical rockcrawling and the other half I'm in mud, dirt, and snow up in Idaho.

It's time for new tires and am still deciding between 37" pitbull rockers and 37 14.50 , 38 13.00 , 37 12.50 maxis creepy crawlers (because I can any of them through work at a decent price). I've pretty much ruled out Iroks because of chunking and tire wear. I'm looking to get two years of use out of this next set.

I've seen the pitbulls on the trail and are very impressed with their performance but have heard conflicting results on tire wear. I have almost no experience with the Creepy Crawlers on or off road. It looks like the Maxis tires have a much higher weight rating in the 37"+ sizes, and don't know how that will affect performance.

For those of you with personal experience with either of these tires, please post up your impressions both on and offroad including tire wear and sidewall durability.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
neither, TSL radials. did bout 7000 miles on my last yoda and were 40-50%. they balanced out really well and were great on/off-road. though they were 32x10.5x15s. i dont think you can beat the swampers....just my 2 sense.:thumb:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had many a set of swampers and they do well. The pitbulls definetely grab better then a swamper, and have tougher sidewalls being bias then a swamper radial. I'm sticking with a bias tire mainly for the strength aspect. Not to mention, in order to get a radial swamper I'd have to get the 38's, and I'm not in the mood to spend $330 a tire, especially for a radial that I might waste. Yes, radials last longer and are usually better on the street, but if I blow out a sidewall at 10,000 miles what does it matter? :thumb:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Irok bias ply's lasted a friend of mine for about 16k and he sold them with about 50% tread left. They balanced easily, were round and did not have the shaking issues. I know a guy who could not get rid of his creepy's fast enough because they made his truck a human milkshake maker. Another option are the 38 Trxs MT's that are out, I had some 34's pre SAS and they were sticky like gum on rocks and smooth like glass on road, and have some BEEFY sidewalls. The guy who got rid of the creepy's just got some and digs them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe if you just had a light weight samurai, your tires would last you a million miles. But then again, i think it would be fun rolling on 39's!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I labored over getting the Pitbulls for the last two sets of tires I purchased, and eventually chose something else each time. I'd like to hear some first hand reports on 'em...so I'm voting for the Rockers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zukulent, I'm guessing you're Chandler by your pic. How are things going? Anyone else have an opinion on tires? :thumb:

·
Registered
525 Posts
why don't you run a set of toyo mt's in 38" size great for offroad and will last a good fair amount of time on the road also. and balance on these tires are the best you can in a mud terain tire!!! not trying to sell toyo but I have see most of all the other tires these by far are awesome.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, Toyo's are great tires for tire wear and seem to do great on the street, only problem, THEY ARE HEAVY PIGS! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: The 38 doesn't come in a 15" rim and in the larger sizes weighs a TON and has a super high load rating. I don't think it's a good fit for my gutless, light little toyota. For a fullsize or something with more power I'd definetely recommend the Toyo's.

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/prod...ame=Open%20Country%20M/T%99&category=off-road

38" Toyo's are 99lbs! 37 14.50's are 94lbs!

For reference, my 38.5" sx's weigh 89lbs a piece. 37" Pitbulls weigh 72 lbs, 38" Creepy Crawlers weigh 85 lbs, 37 14.50 Creepies 79 lbs, 36" Iroks 66lbs, 39.5" Iroks 78lbs, oh, and 35" BFG's weigh 64lbs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I agree, Toyo's are great tires for tire wear and seem to do great on the street, only problem, THEY ARE HEAVY PIGS! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: The 38 doesn't come in a 15" rim and in the larger sizes weighs a TON and has a super high load rating. I don't think it's a good fit for my gutless, light little toyota. For a fullsize or something with more power I'd definetely recommend the Toyo's.

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/prod...ame=Open%20Country%20M/T%99&category=off-road

38" Toyo's are 99lbs! 37 14.50's are 94lbs!

For reference, my 38.5" sx's weigh 89lbs a piece. 37" Pitbulls weigh 72 lbs, 38" Creepy Crawlers weigh 85 lbs, 37 14.50 Creepies 79 lbs, 36" Iroks 66lbs, 39.5" Iroks 78lbs, oh, and 35" BFG's weigh 64lbs.

WOW I thought the Iroks weighed a little more then that. Thats cool I think if I can sell my boggers I will get a set of them.... Thats where my vote would go but then again I haven't realy seen much of the other tires that are being talked about.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
eric I vote Iroks

but because they are the best on the list.

They are not the best on the street....but mebbe your lighter rig will help curb the street wear.

as far as the girlies go.......if she doesn't like yer truck........

Fork
neck
curb

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
If you like blowing beads, get Rockers. Both sets I have seen run had multiple issues even with beadlocks. The spit out the back bead. Iroks don't wear well on the road. I know Creepy's really grip, but don't know about the street. My tsl radials (both sets) have been very tough and have no sidewall issues. Great on the road and unbalanced are great. But my smaller set balance perfectly. Best bang for your buck there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I used to run a set of 36 SX's and they balanced great as for wear they did fair considering they where on a suburban. I would go with the 39.5 Iroks or another set of the 38.5 SX's. I would have ran another set of SX but they don't have them in a 49". I think on your toy you will be happy with the Iroks.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can hear the snap of my axles, r&p, hubs, birfields, output shaft, driveshafts... and I'm sure other stuff... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. I'm supprised at how well everything has held up so far to the 38.5's!

On another note. Anyone know how heavy 36 14.50 15 TSL Radials are?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I can hear the snap of my axles, r&p, hubs, birfields, output shaft, driveshafts... and I'm sure other stuff... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. I'm supprised at how well everything has held up so far to the 38.5's!

On another note. Anyone know how heavy 36 14.50 15 TSL Radials are?

That's why I don't vote for 39.5 Iroks. That is a lot of tire for that truck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
:what:Why don't you get you two sets of tires? Run smaller tires when not wheelin', and swap them out when you do. It might look a little funny going down the road with some say.......35's, but hey you get a better drive and tire wear, not to include some fuel mileage too:rotfl::rotfl:.

Come on how hard is it to do a midnight special tire swap before a run?
:thumb:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I attend BYU, no room to store extra tires. We'll see. I might be picking up a set of 35" MTR's for now as DD tires and see about keeping my sx's for harder wheeling. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts