Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide on which set of tires to get next. I have been thinking of TSL's or SSR's But I really cant decide. I like to play in pretty much everything, but snow is my fav. Or is there something else I should be looking at? Any advice or help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Iroc's seem to work very well in all conditions from what I have seen. Unless you want to spend big $$$ then go with the BFG Krawlers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It just depends are what you want to do with them. Will you be driving on the street much? If you're on the street a lot then an Irok is about the last tire I'd run. They wear out extremely fast. But if you're mostly offroad they are one of the best tires out there, especially for snow. Another good tire depending on what size you're looking at is the Trxus Mt's. They work amazingly well in the snow and as good or better then your average Goodyear or BFG everywhere else. Give us a little more info to go on. :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wont be on the street much just to and from the trail. The size will probably be 37's on a 16. I want something that will do well in the mud and on the trail but it needs to be good in the deep snow. Oh and they are going on a fullsize truck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ya know, swampers are cool and have massive lugs and all, but what you want in snow is SIPING. You can pay to have just about any tire siped. I personally have just ordered some Interco Trxus MT's because they are supposed to be real gool in snow and come from the factory with some pretty good siping. About half my winter driving is pulling a snowmobile trailer and winter traction is very important to me. In the past I've run all-terrains with lots of siping but no three stage lugs (TSL) to get me out of gooey ruts. With this new set of tires I wanted some sidewall lugs to pull me out of those ruts while still having good snow performance. I think the Trxus MT should be a good combination of both. I'll post an opinion after I've had them on a while.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
For the street, siping works great. Or if your on ice on the trail... it helps to.

But if your playing in a foot or two of snow, siping isn't going to help you out much there. You need the lugs like a Bogger or Swamper has.

He says ~37" tire. I think the biggest the Truxus come in is a 35". The Truxus is a great tire for on/off road... but for an off road only rig, it's not a great choice.

I'm a fan of the old school Swamper like what I run and the SXs. The Iroks are good choice as well. Boggers aren't bad either.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Dont go for the Bogger unless you are doing mud. Been there, done that. They dig great holes in the sand and the snow.

I run the regular old TSL's but I have grooved them. I think they are great. I might go with the Irok in the future but my rig sits on a trailer.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My opinion on the SSRs is that of the Swamper line they are one of the weakest tires. They have lighter sidewalls and if you are going to play in Idaho rocks you might suffer a cut. I would take a TSL over the SSR anyday. For the Idaho lava rocks on a full off road rig probably one of the best Swampers would be the SX. They have super strong sidewalls. One thing I've heard over and over from TRXus owners (mostly the 315/75/16s) is that they do not balance well. I have a friend who had 9 tires shipped to him in this size just to get 4 round ones. I had a set of 36" Irok Bias Plies. I liked them on the trail and to be honest they were very round and not too bad on the highway either. The one reason I wouldn't buy them again for a daily drive is wear. I drove 220 miles on the highway with them one day and I swear you could watch the tread melting off of them as quick as the gas gauge sank.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
We got a set (5) of 31.50x15 TRXus tires for our little S-10 Blazer Z thinking that a smaller size like that would balance out fine. Didn't happen. We did send one back it was so out of round and have never been able to get the others to balance. I hate these tires on the road, they make the rig pull and shake when I hit 50mph and never goes away above that. They look cool and have the sipping and side lugs but I would NEVER get another set of the TRXus, and I am a big fan of Interco.:(

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The SSRs, we call the Super Slick Radials in Alaska because they are terrible in the mud compared to the regular TSL or SX. They are almost as bad at Thornbirds IMO.

My buddy Dave ran a set of 32" Truxus on his Dakota and they balanced out great for whatever reason. They handled awesome on the icy roads for a being a mud tire. Tires didn't last long though. He maybe put 10,000 miles on them before they were bald. Heavy foot and a built up engine didn't help that though.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I am on my second set of Toyos Open Country Mud. First was 35's and now 33 x 13.50 15. Really impressed with the lack of noise, good wear, and balance easily. They seem to work equally well in snow, sand, mud, road use, and rocks. I have not found a better compromise tire. Not sure if they make it in the size you want. Les Schwab carries them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help. It has me thinking maybe some TSL's or the SX that is what I was leaning towards the first place. I have one more question would you go with bias or radial?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Radial tires perform better in the snow and ice, The best performing bias ply tire I've seen in the snow is the iroc,.......... I would bet the radials do even better:drive:

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
Iroks get my vote......

Even with me only getting a few miles out of them.:darn:

They are amazing on the rocks, great in the sand.

and in the snow they astonded me. I was able to float on top of the snow, and cover ground great with these tires.

but they suck on the road wear.:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

the ride was great, but mileage was poor at best.

·
Registered
65 Posts
BFG Mud Terrain has always been my favorite all around tire. My brother-in-law has competed in Team Trophy Challenge up here in the Tillamook Forest and started with a set of 33" BFG's and since has been through Super Swampers, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, and has now gone right back to BFG's.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
BFG Mud Terrain has always been my favorite all around tire. My brother-in-law has competed in Team Trophy Challenge up here in the Tillamook Forest and started with a set of 33" BFG's and since has been through Super Swampers, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, and has now gone right back to BFG's.
If you sipe the middle section you will have a good combination. Ran on several full-size rigs and loved them, rain or shine.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah one of these days I need to sipe the tires on my truck. They are almost scary on wet roads with the Detroit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
go for the pitbulls they so far have done great in all the terains I have had them in mud, sand, & rocks. check them out at pitbulltires.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts