Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which local shop should I call too have the attached piece made up? It is for a lower radiator crossover pipe. It would need to be made out of .120" wall, 1.75" tubing. Obviously I would prefer it bent on a machine that would not kink the bends and limit flow (Mandrel bender? I have no clue) I would also need it coated or bent out of tubing that would not corrode since it will be part of the cooling system. The drawings show a 90 degree bend, though a revised design is to have it at a 45-50 degree bend to bring the angle back up too the water pump. Here is a link to the pipe conversion tech article http://www.azbronco.org/tech03.htm

I am going to be in AZ later this week and can pick one up for 60$, but obviously I would prefer to spend less and spend my money locally (and I don't want to have to explain to airport security why I have it in my carry on luggage) So who would be the people to call? This is the last piece to get the bronco back on the road.. I have the hydroboost mounted, serpentine conversion finished and the wiring at least pieced together to get it started so I have some sense of accomplishment.

thanks,
dan

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea on what a radiator shop would charge to swap the inlet/outlet locations on my radiator to the other sides? Currently it is top driver/bottom passenger and with the serpentine it needs to be top passenger/bottom driver.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
That tubing could be done locally by a number of us. Shoot me a pm when you get back in town.

.120 wall hrew would work.

Something to think about... the fluid in the radiator and your motor should certainly have antifreeze, which will keep corrosion fairly limited. You could just paint the outside to keep it from getting surface rust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep going over several different concerns when I try to decide how to finalize this issue.

#1 - I don't want anything too 'custom'. Simply because I want to have easy availability to replacement parts if I am in backwoods Idaho. That leans me twoards looking at swapping out the inlet/outlet sides - so I am not crossing from one side to the other with a coolant hose.
#1.1 - if I swap the inlet/outlet I don't want to jeapordize the cooling effeciency of the barely used 4core radiator I have. If it were an old radiator, I would just buy a new one with the proper i/o locations, but there is no need to replace this radiator since it has been barely used.

#2 - Crossover tube is easy and all, but having it fabbed and then making sure that it won't rust out with the coolant is a concern of mine (granted it is probably unwarranted) I also am uneasy about having that tube hanging down where it can get caught on anything (even though I am not a big rock crawling type of driver)

I should just sell my current radiator and get a new aluminum one setup the correct way. But who the hell knows - oh well Present time.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I should have said 'Universal' Aluminum radiator. I believe Summit and several others sell ones that fit for $180. Then I would use the stock late 80's Mustang radiator hoses.

I am probably making it much more difficult than it needs to be and should just get some tubing bent.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The problem with the stainless flex pipes is they impede the flow of coolant. I rant those on my 60 series LC with the V8 and had cooling issues. Switched to the correct regular rubber hose and I dropped 15 degrees instantly.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Wow. I didn't know that. I can see why they would cause turbulence though.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Now that I think about it, I guess any flex, convoluted hose would do that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
bannind, your pm box is full...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Have you tried Boise Radiator? I have had luck with them buying new radiators for great prices (like about 10% more than the junkyard wanted for a used one). If you explain your needs they might be able to find what you need. If that fails, they may be able to bend up your piece as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts