Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ummm, so bought 84 toyota van today, runs drives automatic trans.
also bought 81 toy p/u, 3.9 gears and complete trans t-case, and axles.

goal is to combine two into one.

want to keep the auto, major PITA to manual trans an auto van, and want the overdrive, gonna run the 3.9's for awhile with 30's.so gearing and x-over steering isn't the desired direction of this inquiry.

the more acurate direction of the inquiry is,
do I buy a Zuk t-case, or other divorced t-case and run that?
do I try to mate the L52 t-case to the van auto,

do I buy and adapt the np-208 that he has for sale for cheap, probably could own for a 6 pack of Amberbock to the whole deal?

should I do custom mating stuff, what machine shop is good, and works on my PBR and Ramen type budget?

Shackle building and hanging, pointers would be great, but I think I have an idea.

3y toy motor is gonna stay 3y, no performance mods necessary yet, gonna re-gear and stuff later, just looking for ideas on how to get rolling as a 4by.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would keep as much as possible Toy. There is a company that does a divorced case adapter for the Toy cases. Now is the van a uni-body or does it have a frame? That could cause some real issues....
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
both if you will.

Unibody in the sense that I can't ever do a body lift, as they are molded together,

"frame-on" in the sense that the frame rail part of the unibody is full length and as big/stout. as the frame rails on a p/u or runner.

So yes, uni-body, but not like my Volve where is has a front and rear subfram, and nothing through the body of the pan, ya know?

And want to keep it all toy, as toy 8" will be all the axle it will ever need, and I like the stoutness of the toy drivetrain, as well as reliabilty.

The auto throws the wrench into the deal, have had long talks about swaps with Marlin of Marlin krawler, and the 5 speed stuff, g series to g series, van to pick up, is a straight across swap, the auto confuddles me.

Once I research which trannyt it is, then I will be armed with the knowledge to tackle this more betterly.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
OTT industries makes an adapter to make a toy case divorced.

Remember, if you use a zuk case, it has two issues fo you:
1. Offset rear output to the passenger side
2. has high gear reduction in the tcase

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OTT industries makes an adapter to make a toy case divorced.

Remember, if you use a zuk case, it has two issues fo you:
1. Offset rear output to the passenger side
2. has high gear reduction in the tcase
that off set could pose an issue as I will have the world's shortest rear driveline, thanks.

high gear reduction?

like 3:1, or 4:1? wouldn't that be desired, or do you mean like 1.5:1 which is why everybody regears?

And will check out OTT industries.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$325 for the adapter, mgiht kick around a few other ideas first, as I accept the sticker shock, then order.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drove it home tonight, Man I can't believe how much I have missed driving one of these, like wanna go do the I can't believe what you do for me jump/dance all night.

Maybe go make love to it, I dunno.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wrong bolt pattern....... p/u doesn't seat six.....pickup doesn't hae a title......

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:gay: i dont know, it seems odd to me, kinda like wheeling a pinto :gay:
I remember a small group of fellas that lifted and then tried to wheel them on the 'Con. There was one laying on it's side out on the slabs. Couldn't wheel for shit due to the high C.O.G. and weird weight bias.

there was posts on Pirate a few years ago about them,,,,it was unbelievably funny...
Actually they do have a rather LOW center of gravity.
Been tested.

Pinto, nah.
it will have an unconfused identity though, unlike some rigs that are chefordota, or amchevrodge, or..............:rotfl:

Seriously though, got the donor truck to storage tonight, and now I need to start looking at getting it done.

step by step, I guess.:drive:

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
hey leave my toyforjeelet out of this....toyota, ford, jeep, chevy, creation outta this...

nah my hybrid with mostly stock parts will easily ramp 1000+ when complete

its not the make that matters, its how well all the parts involved work together

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup. hopefully everything will talk nicely to each other and plaqy well together when I am done with this little project.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts