Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kaulana, Frank and I are going wheeling saturday morning. For rexburg guys we're meeting at broulims at 9:00. Still not sure where we'll be headed, possibly the shelly rock trail, rexburg rock trail, the blacks or green canyon. Just depends on who's coming. Post up if you're interested and if you have a preference on where we're going.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a half day, be back mid afternoon. I'd like to try a trail I haven't been on yet but we'll see who decides to come.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got your PM Cory. I'm up for going as early as 7:00 but I'll have to check with Frank and K about it.

On this run there won't be any sitting around b.s.ing for an hour before we leave. :flipoff: And there's to be no complaining on the trail or we'll pull your valve cores and leave you for dead! :thumb:

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to a nice run.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, then lets meet at broulims at 7:00am. Where does everyone want to go? Green canyon might be fun. If they got even more snow then last time we were there it could definetely be challenging. Plus the view from the top is killer when it's clear. How far away is the shelly rock trail? I know Mickey said he might want to go.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Green Canyon should have a bunch of snow at the top of the relay towers still. It had a bunch earlier in the week. Cory, do you know of any place near by that would have some decent snow?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frank, Kaulana and I had a blast! The snow was deep and as usual with this wierd Idaho snow it stops you in your tracks! :thumb: I led most of the ride and had a good time pushing through some deep snow in some spots. There were a couple good inclines that really put my 4 angry squirles to the test. Thank goodness for rev-limiters.

At the top of the last climb I backed down and to the side to let Frank get by me and give someone else a chance to lead. Frank did an awesome job of clearing the way until he lost a bead. We changed the tire and then I figured out that I was stuck. I had floated back down the hill just fine with 3.5 psi but as soon as I went to climb up it I dig instantly and was burried. After getting unstuck kaulana and I pushed forward on the trail for a bit but decided to head home becuase it was too slow going and we've got studying and homework to do thanks to finals.

When we got to the bottom we found that Franks rear tire had burped all of the air out and was completely flat but somehow stayed on the rim. We aired it up and found that his front tire only had 2 lbs in it too! On the way down frank ripped off his rear hard-brake line and so he had to drive the whole way home with just the e-brake, thank goodness for 5 speeds. Slow going but we all made it home!

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Man wish I could have been there! Great pics guys. Frank, what did you rip the line off on?

·
Registered
308 Posts
How high were you guys to hit snow like that?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That looks like a lot of fun!! I'm affraid that the little Tracker would have just turned into another obstacle for you guys in snow that deep. I not sure that I would stand a chance even if i was running 33" tires with no air in them on bead locked wheels. It would be fun trying though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Weight is definetely bad in snow like that. I noticed a huge difference in how I pushed through the snow just with Brady out of the truck taking pics. Eric - I would have brought you except I'm a midget and have to have the seat so far forward... buckets are in my plans for the next six months though! :thumb:Mike, I think you'd be supprised at what the zuki could do out there with 33's, the only problem is that you'd want to be locked front and rear and have lower t-case gears. With that combo you would have kicked all our butts. There were only snow mobile tracks up there, I didn't even see any 4wheeler tracks. I don't know how high we were exactly but according to google earth we were around 7500 feet at our highest point. Snow started to get fun around 6000.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts