Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I am the opposite - go for an 86+ with the fuel injection, good steering and then torch off the IFS and swap a solid axle in there. Either a 44 (chevy, dodge, some waggoneers) or find a toy axle to put in there.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
In my opinion '85 is the best year. It has the best of both worlds. You can get one with the solid front axle, and fuel injection. I would be sure to get one with the injection it makes a big difference.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I had an 85' with fuel injection, but yeah it was a 4-runner. I would definetly go with the fuel injection and torch the IFS. It is an easy enough mod. and any reputable fab. shop should be able to handle it, and it is not that expensive.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Toyotas are great!!! Just stay away from anything with a 3.0 liter V-6, the only thing good about them is the stouter rear end............they get bad gas mileage, don't have that much power, and are know to burn valves at 150,000 miles, and the transfer case is chain driven (no modifications).
I know you didn't ask what NOT to buy......but if your looking at Toyotas this is good info :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Dude call me for sure. I could use a donor truck! How is the sheet metal on it? Yeah definetly interested.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
krazytoy said:
Dude call me for sure. I could use a donor truck! How is the sheet metal on it? Yeah definetly interested.
gonna use this for your donor transfer case?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Maybe :thumb: depends on what is in it??

·
Registered
265 Posts
whitetrashmafia4x4, do you plan on doing mostly mudding, rockcrawling or just general 4x4ing. i've had a 90 4runner with the 3.0v6, an 84 pickup and now currently have an 86 solid axle swap on 37, but i'm more towards rockcrawling

·
Registered
183 Posts
he's a mud man, do you read he's sig. :thumb:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my buddys dad and a couple of buddys have some badass yota's im thinkin i want somethin like theres my friend has a 84 with the 22re with dana 60 up front and lockers and 37inch boggers it wheels like no other

·
Registered
25 Posts
HEY!!!! Steve lets not be so negative... My 93 is a 3 OH and I love it, the factory did a recall on the head gasket years ago and that was the main problem with burned valves. I have a SAS... took a whole 6 days, CAKE!
Hated the crawl ratio when it had the chain drive case, but went to a Marlin Ultimate dual set up, and it is now point and shoot. Granted the mileage isnt the best 5.29s and 39.5s, but do you wanna do the mall or really live??? My only complaint is the bed hangs WAY out off the a$$ but that will be remedied soon. IF you have to have a older 2nd gen with the 4 cyl look for a injected motor, and even better the turbo, it had a 23 spline T case factory so doing a doubler is even easier. Look in the rear wheel wells and check for rust, the spotwelds on the fender buldge ALWAYS rusts out, killing the whole bed...
LATE SHAW

·
Registered
25 Posts
The only real advantages for the turbo is the extra ponies it will generate, and the 23 spline Tcase (Strength issues arise when big tires are applied) the regular 4 is kinda anemic, that is why the doubler is such a popular upgrade. Look at MRTRD he runs the 3.4 and the super charger and the horses do help him a lot, it is peace of mind when you need it it is there. Just my 02
LATE SHAW

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was lookin at gettin this 83 i found for 600 the only problem is that it doesnt have a motor tranny or transfer case i was thinking about putting a small block in it either a 327 or a 350 has anyone ever did the small block swap how much did it cost if so :thumb: :beer:

thanks jeramie

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I did one of those a few years ago... if you already have the engine and T-case and tranny, it isn't all that expensive... other than firewall and tunnel clearance issues that need resolved with a liberal application of a BFH, I don't remember if we ran into any other major issues... other than radiator and something else... I forget... :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Best Toys

I have had 11 Toyota trucks over the years, most of the were 79-85. I think that these are the best years for a solid platform. A solid axle swap is not that hard to do, but why would you if you can get an 85 with the 22re. The problem with the 86 and newer is that the front frame dips down lower that an 85, the good thing about the 86 and newer is that you already have the proper stearing box for the cross over and a wider rear axle. My current truck is an 85 22re short wheel base. I used to use is for racing but now its for crawling. If your into mud, I would look into a Long Wheel Base truck for stability, you can still bob the bed for crawling. I have had 2 toys with 350 V-8's and if you set them up right, they are great for mud. The killer and easier swap is to go with a Toyota Supra 6cyl and even a turbo because they will bolt up to your stock tranny. Just some thoughts, keep posting if you still have questions.
Later,
Toytech :beer:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts