Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

What ya gave for your truck when u started?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr.TRD 
#1 ·
basically what the title said is what i am wanting to know.

Some of ya'll might know me from texas4x4.org and fullsizebronco.com.

I Bought a '81 Cherokee two door wide track, for $400 cash and $400 labor. I just done some light stuff like getting it running and looking good. I have nothing major planned for it. since i have a 1979 camaro i am still rebuilding. After the camaro is finished i might start on modifying the jeep by putting a 14ff in the rear with 4:10 in front and back. change the motor out for a chevy 350 with a th400 and np205 combo.and do crossover steering and replce the springs with better springs to give it some more lift. and if i can put 40" tires under it with little help from trimming the fender well.

But if anyone got a 79 Ford F150 shortbed 4x4 they would like to trade and it is running i am up to the trade. plus in decent shape. :deal: :firedevi:

#2 ·
Welll

Well, the first day I bought it, it had broken rear leaf springs, and didnt run. 1976 K5

I paid 50 bucks for it. Brought it home, threw some plugs in it, changed all the fluids, and went the the junk yard and picked up some leaf springs. Total cost there 32 dollars.
So far 82 dollars.

Then, I got the bright Idea to take it wheeling, that was after I traded the 30 inch cooper tires off of it for a set of Q78 Buckshot mudders (cost 0), well, needless to say, it was a rough night, to much throttle, and not enough tranny cooler. TH350 = junk

So, now, im stuck without a tranny, talked to a buddy of a buddy of mine, who had a TH400 mated to a 205 out behind his house, brought it home, put it in, cut my driveshaft, changed the filter and fluid, and was rolling again a day and a half later. Cost = 100
Total 182
Well, I got tired of the rotten, broken off before the muffler exhaust and bought some 2.1/2 and 3" exhaust tubing. A friend of mine owns a service garage and has a hydraulic exhuast bender, bent up a set of dual stacks with that, and put a set of cheap turbo-style mufflers on it. Cost = $94
Total: 276 dollars

Once again, to much throttle got the best of me, resulting in a broke 12 bolt. So, off to the junk yard again, but before I got there, I found someone with a 14FF and an 8 lug D44 w/ 3.73's and got em for 175 bucks, put em in, and I was rolling again, I had to buy a set of rims though, that set me back another 50 bucks to put the tires on 10 inch rims.... cost - 225

Total: $501

Went out the next night after getting the axles in, and bashed my tank on a HUGE rock result = 2 inch hole in the tank. Cost to get a used tank from the junk yard: $10

Total $511

I got the bright Idea that I was going to get a 10 inch lift for it, so I bought the lift, then talked myself out of it, cost: $650 (and didnt even put it in) (Superlift swamprunner kit, COMPLETE minus brakelines if interested)

Total 1161 (LIFT IS FOR SALE)

So far, I've got about 1161 dollars into it, but the lift isn't in, and the money i get for it is going right back into the blazer by buying a set of tires, or gears and i need to buy some 2 1/4 moly tube to start on my 10 point cage.

Oh, yea, I have more money into it, i just bought a set of flat top D44 knuckles, a steering box and a tie-rod to cut to fit for my crossover. Also picked up 2 52" leaf spring packs to put up front. Cost $35

so, I guess its at 1196.

What can I say, I was bored so i felt like writing up what i had invested in my blazer, and give you all a little chuckle.

#4 ·
75 Scout: $1800
77 Scout: free, traded an AC system for it
79 K5: $500, was running and driving until I pulled the engine and tranny
79 K10: $1500
81 K30: $500, runs and drives, just not legally
03 S10: WAY TOO MUCH

#5 ·
well, lets see...
I just got an 89 blazer for $250 and just had to put a battery and a U-Joint in it, replaced the ignition switch, but later found the key on the floor....it's still a work in progress though...
55 CJ5.... $600... needs total resto..
69 J3000.... free, but still has no motor
74 dodge with a dump bed....$300..needs R&P install kit...
and the summer's just starting..... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#10 ·
$24,820 was the sticker price.

Leased it for 3 years, realized I had too much money into it so I bought it at 10.25% for 5 years(total of 8 years now) then refinanced it two years into that loan for 4.75% and another 4 years. That was one year ago so it has been 6 years and I still have another 3 years(total of 9 years) and still owe $9K. But I think that I will keep it..... :firedevi: :firedevi: :firedevi:

#12 ·
FREE ..............from my brother-in-law
drop in used motor and go wheelin'

well not exactly, I worked my tail off the whole summer removing garbage from the back of his property to help him get ready to sell it in the spring, he lost interest in the truck and got tired of looking at it so he gave it to me, little did he know it would be in his shop for two years while motor and paint slowly progressed. :rotfl: When I got started it was red and gray sitting on blocks for about five years.

Well.....after a new hood, doors, bedsides, tailgate, paint, sweet small block, tires, wheels, carpet, seats, and other accessories, I had almost nine or ten grand into it before, BEFORE, I even got to drive it. Would I do it again..........oh yeah!

#13 ·
I think that I will have paid about 29K for it, and yeah it has been worth it. Now the mods on the other hand, boy I wish that I could have gotten them right the first time. I have spent about 45K (retail) on mods. Does it sit there on the jackstands with 45K in mods now, HELL NO, but I have the debt to prove that it has had that much!!!! Paul knows what I mean about getting it done right the first time....shoulda just got out the torch and sawzall right away!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.