Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead: I just bought my truck. It is a 2003 Chevy Silveraldo 4x4 1500HD Crew Cab. I am also new at wheelin. I am looking for advice on the best suspension lift for my truck. I was thinking a 6" Fabtech lift, with 35" tires and 8" rims. I am banging my head against the wall trying to make a sound decision.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Are you building a street cruiser? The 6" lift and 35" looks real nice on the newer trucks. Have you thought about gear changes as well for the tire size? May not be an issue in your case.

I hear the Fabtech lift is a real good one.

BTW: Welcome to the board. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to be able to offroad in my truck at least on some amature stuff just to have a little fun without worrying about clearence or traction. But a clean look would is a plus also

·
Registered
883 Posts
If your looking for a 4x4rig, dont use the new truck!! Cause even the smallest of trails can add dents, especially in a full size, and with a new wheeler!!

Once you start wheelin, you will want to tear it all apart, voiding warranties, if you have them, and getting into a whole lotta $$!! If the vehicle is financed, I wouldn't touch it with anything because it the warranties are voided, it kinds defeate the issue!!

But hey, thats my opinion, doesn't mean you have to listen to me!!

I have a suggestion, how bout building a SAMMI to Wheel!! There are CHEAP, and Very Inexpensive to maintain!! Cheaper then a full size that is!! Let me know, we have our shop almost open and would be happy to assist you in any way!! Check out the Jamboree pice, My sammi is the blue one, it goes just about anywhere our comp buggy goes and is very FUN!! The best part is I don't have to worry about the dents, cause itas my trail rig!! Good luck in your journeys!!

And if you decide to change out the suspension, don't do it uintil you come see us at the shop.. Great service, Top Quality Work, and great prices on parts!!
:beer:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Personally I would leave the suspension stock unless you want to spend the money to put a straight axle under it. Some 285/75r16s would probably look good on it and you shouldnt really need any lift. I would just crank the torsion bars up a little to level it out. Just be sure to get an alignment afterwards.

This is my mom's 99 with the 285s. http://www.geocities.com/oworfreak/99chevy.html I'm pretty sure that the torsion bars were cranked up by the previous owner as it sits level and higher than most similar trucks.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I would lift the truck the fabtech lift is good but I think the best one out there is the rockcrawler lift that replaces the torsion bars with coil overs. Also body armor is a must. You will probably have to go to a custom shop for this stuff cause you need strong stuff that will keep your new truck from getting dented. As far as the warrenties go if the new car warrenty will still be good unless the dealer can prove your modifications caused the problems. The burden of proof lies with the dealer. If they give you any trouble with it call your states attorney general. :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I know you can go to Utah and the dealers there lift them 10 at a time, I doubt they would do that if it voids the waranty, maybe it has to be dealer installed to be ok :? If your going to use the the truck, don't buy tuff country, fine for on the street, but that's it, fabtech and RCD are good ones :thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
RCD has great kits - I use a 6" on my '94 street truck, and I'm more then pleased with it....50,000 miles and not a single problem with the suspension. It's not the cheapest kit around, but you'll thank yourself in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts