Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

what are some problems with a dana 44 and a 12 bolt axle

973 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chevycrew 
#1 ·
for my '52 flatfender i was planning on using a dana 44 in the front and a 12 bolt in the rear. my question is what are some common problems that happen that would make me change my mind. and what kind of modifications can be made to the axles such as gears lockers and anything else.

#2 ·
If you are planning on running the front full width you will have to outboard your springs. The d44 is a good option for the front. The weak link on the d44s is the ujoints and hubs.

I dont know much about the 12 bolt. not really a popular swap so I am not sure if you will have the same locker/gear options as a D44 or 9".

Are you running stock motor/transmission/tcase? If your tcase is the model 18 you will need an offset rear housing.

#3 ·
There is not any real problems with either axle, as far as I know. Just keep in mind the strength limitations and you will be good to go. Strength will depend on how the axle is built, weight of vehicle, tire size used, amount of power, gear reduction, etc....

I went with a 9" in the rear of my toy, due to very large aftermarket support, and I can upgrade to a hi-9 later.

But nothing wrong with your axles from my point of view.

#4 ·
I have had a "little" trouble with my front dana 44 outer (stub) axles. The good news is, I am getting pretty good at changing out axles on the trail.

I run 39.5 Iroks and a 350 chevy motor. How "strong" the dana 44 is depends a lot on your engine, tires, gears, as has been mentioned, and right foot. Chrome Moly axles and CTM or Longfield U joints will increase strength tremendously.

#6 ·
Keep in mind though, There are many axles that use the c-clip design.

Most half ton and lighter axles do. There are a few that dont, semi-floating dana 60 in 5 on 5 1/2 pattern, and same pattern in the ford 9"

Dana 44 parts interchange if you use the right parts. I run chevy knuckles, spindles, and brakes on my ford hi-pinion 44. With the ford bearing hubs to stay with the 5 on 5 1/2 pattern to match the 9"

You have some options in the rear, but in the front, if you cant afford a 60, the only choice left is a 44.

Nice thing about the Dana 44, no matter if its a ford, chevy, dodge, jeep, or whatever housing, you have the option of 8 lug, 6 lug, or 5 lug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.