Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sucks missing out on the club runs and stuffm cause of bad weather or taking my rig is overkill for whats going on. So I went and picked up a Grand Cherokee. Thinking lift and some 33" tires, locker in the rear and driving it. :drive:

I'll get some pics up in a bit and maybe I'll drive it to the meeting on Thursday. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
What year? 5.2L or 5.9L I hope?? 4.0L is a slug.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Gay, Gay, Gay!

J/k Dude, it probably would make it out of the hot tube on hells revenge with the right driver!!!!

Oh SNAP.....

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe if you head into it at about 30mph. :flipoff:

Its 98 limited with the 5.2 V8. Its pretty loaded with the sunroof and leather and a bunch of stuff that I'm not sure what it does.

Looks like I'm going to have to swap out the 249 Tcase and maybe do something about the Dana44a rear. Or not. Did find one locker for it and If I truss it, it might be just fine.

Been looking at the lift options. Lots of them. Overall it seems to drive OK and it has decent power. The MPG computer is saying about 16mpg. I reset it all so we'll see.

There is no owners manual so I need to figure out how to program the in visor garage door openers. :rotfl:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah put a 231 in there. Fairly strong, simple and good aftermarket support.

Aussie is the only locker for the 44a. They aren't being made anymore too, so might be hard to find one.

If you want to run 33s, the Rubicon Express 4.5" kit is pretty hard to beat.

Dunno about the visors, mine doesn't have all that fancy shit.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think the long arm kit is worth it?

Thinking Ax locker for the front now.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Depends on how much lift really. 4.5" on long arms is pretty low, the arms may hit the tub.

The front drop brackets for XJs work on ZJs with a bit of modifying and help out with the front arm angles. The rear isn't so much of a deal until you get up there around 6" or so. It'll have a fair amount of rear steer.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I can go with a short arm kit and then do something about it later if I want to. Got a line on a used 4.5" and an aussie locker for the rear.

I'm going to jack up the rear and see what I have for sure. I looked these up and I guess there is a factory locker or LS that was an option. This thing has all of the options that I have found listed (except for the 5.9) so maybe they checked that off also. I looked at the rear last night and it has the 3.73 tag (for the 5.2) but nothing else. The cover has been off though.

Looks like I can get an SYE kit for hte 242 and the 231 but the 231 has some gear options.

Need to go hit the junkyards I guess....

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jacked it up and its all open.

Do you know how people are mounting KC lights to thier front bumper? I looked and all I could find was a bunch of plastic and some foam. Didnt really see a good place to mount it all but I've seen it done.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Sandman, Check out Polyperformance's lift's for XJ/ZJ's it is nice if you are thinking of going long arm. Spendy, but worth it IMO.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
behind the foam is a steel "bumper". I guess you could make a bracket that tied into that and then you could slide the tuperware bumper over it?

Clayton is a good long arm kit. The setup I run is loosely based off their setups.

Jacked it up and its all open.

Do you know how people are mounting KC lights to thier front bumper? I looked and all I could find was a bunch of plastic and some foam. Didnt really see a good place to mount it all but I've seen it done.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Poly stocks the RE kits I believe?

I'm not a hgue fan of the RE long arm kits since they are still a 5 link in the back. Also they use all sorts of bolt on brackets to make the kit strong enough. Simplier to weld in a setup and 4 link the rear.

Sandman, Check out Polyperformance's lift's for XJ/ZJ's it is nice if you are thinking of going long arm. Spendy, but worth it IMO.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I was looking at some other ones. Like Clayton or Kevins kit.

I might just put together my own and build my own arms.

I think on the bumper, I'll just build my own. It will be a lot cheaper then buying one.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yup. The ARB bumpers are pretty decent too. About $600.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ahh. I might just get some of the body brackets and build the rest myself. Thats where I'm leaning now.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
They must be using a totally new design. One of the guys in Alaska had put a RockKrawler kit on his ZJ back in 02 or 03 and it was the least thought out pile of crap I had ever seen. They had to basically re-design half the kit to make it safe even.

It's pretty easy to make your own, I know you wouldn't have trouble doing it Sandman.

What I run on my Jeep was a "Kit" that most of the brackets were made and I just had to weld it all together. It was called Sierra Rock Control. They made 3 kits, and the company went under.

My lowers are 2" .25" square and the uppers are 1.5" 3/16". The truss is 2.5" .25 wall.
(If you need metal for the truss, let me know... I still have a 6-7ft stick since I had to buy a whole stick).

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Call me if you need brackets, shocks, joints ect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts