Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the side armor off and the windsheild off and the frame cut off. By the end of the weekend I hope to have most things chopped off. I have the new design roughed out and I think I see a way to get the whole thing about 3 inches lower overall. I'm going to have to cut the floor some and do some channeling to make it all work out though. The idea is that the outside of the current cage will become the outside of the vehicle. Thats about 9 inches off of each side. To give you an idea, when I did the taper job, it was about 9.5 inches. This will just about wipe that out. So I'm going to taper it a bit more. :smokin:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

Attachments

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: lol

nice!!!:goodjob: :goodjob:

keep up us posted:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
damn Matt, you aren't gonna have room for that Big Block anymore!!
I'll just hafta trade you the BBC for a Toyota 22R!

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got some more done. There is some dinner thing I have to go to today, so I ran out of time. The space between the front outer fender and the new outside which you can see by looking at the floor, is 9 inches. And that does not include the rocker guards that used to be there. You can see the clearence that I'm going to gain. I hope to rip the front end apart tomorow and then tuck it in the garage. The weather is supposed to go bad.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

Attachments

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little more work today. I was able to pull the 1" body lift and shave the mounts another 1/2 inch. I also chopped the bottom off of the cage and dropped it down. Overall its about 3.5 inches lower with the driver being 2" lower then before in relation to the dash. Its a total of 80 inches at the highest point and it just fits in the garage now. Mr. TRD stopped by and we weighed some of the parts:

Windsheild: 27 pounds
Winsheild frame and stuff: 25 pounds
Rear Bedsides: 76 pounds each.

I didnt weigh the inner fenders of the other small stuff. I also didnt wnat to weigh the side armor. That stuff was heavy. I bet I'm a good 400 pounds lighter right now. I see plenty left to cut. There is plenty off room to pull the winch in between the frame rails and that should really help my approach angle. I can drop the dash down and I'm limited now by the powerbrake booster on dropping the hood. Going to loose about 8 inches off of the rear. I still have a lot of cutting before I can start building. I want to do a snow run. The whole goal is to stay below 5,000 when complete and be able to seat 4 people with some storage.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

Attachments

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Matt, why not make a cutout in your hood for the brake booster? also, you could probably relocate it further down on the forewall without a whole lot of hassle..

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you could probably relocate it further down on the forewall without a whole lot of hassle..
Yeah, thats the current plan. Its a big 1 ton cast iron unit so lower would be better. I have a fiberglass hood for it and I dont want to cut it up more then I have too. I'm also thinking aftermarked radiator or maybe a 4 core 16" high version if there is such an animal.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
you one crazy bastard matt. :goodjob:

I'll keep my eye's peeled for updates :popcorn:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
I would have droped my hood down but I was limited by the radiator but if you don't mind spending the $$$ on an aftermarket one....... Dropping the booster shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
or you could do it like some of the prerunner guys do... move the radiator to the rear with electric fans. Ford Windstar fans fit almost perfect on the radiator. I bought a brand new dual fan for a windstar for like $109 here.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought a brand new dual fan for a windstar for like $109 here.
You got ripped off. I paid $80.

looks like you're trying to keep up eh?

Pretty much! I got the origianal idea of the taper from Stephans rig after running with his group one year on EJS. His first effort also kept the origianal core support and he ended up smashing it at SuperCrawl. That thing is just a mean machine. I like the smooth clean approach.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Its a total of 80 inches at the highest point
I measured mine yesterday and it is 82" at the highest point

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
twistedjack said:
I measured mine yesterday and it is 82" at the highest point
No kidding? I'm measuring at that bump at the top of the cage to clear my fat head.

Got the front off yesterday and pulled most of the dash apart. Still have to pull the stinger stuff and finish the dash removal. After that, I'll do the final major cutting and then go from there. I forgot how heavy those radiators are. The biggest issue will be cleareance of the brake booster on dropping the hood. Looks like I can drop it an inch or two without too much trouble. I would like a shorter radiator also. Maybe I can get one out of a fullsize car or something. I'll have to look around.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
My guess is that you will end up less than 80" after you are totally finished every little pound that you add will drop the overall height a little. I measured mine from the floor to the very top of the cage. I still need to take it to the scales so we can compare when you are done.:deal:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mikey Main came over last night to drop off my pipe bender and we took a closer look at things. The brake booster should not be too bad. I can drop it enough to do what I want. The biggest issue now is the radiator. Its 21 inches tall and even sitting down on the frame rails, its a bit tall. I really need an 18" high radiator. The three inches will make a difference. The grill is 14 inches high so that would give me a few inches for the hood lip and a few inches on the bottom of the grill.

I'll have to look around for an AL unit or something. I'll have to get something in hand soon so I can start figuring out how it will all come together. I'd like to start bending and tacking in a few weeks with the brunt of the work over my Christmas vacation.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

1 - 20 of 84 Posts