Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its always best to not weld to cast but when you have no other option.......have any of you had any luck?? I know arc welding with nickel rods is supposed to be the best.

I have heard they make a nickel mig wire that is WAY expensive and one company told me to use silicon bronze wire that is a little more reasonable in price.

Im just wondering what has worked for someone else.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I read a read up on this the other day, and now I remember where, it was a Ford forum.... Link forthcoming

·
Registered
135 Posts
I know its always best to not weld to cast but when you have no other option.......have any of you had any luck?? I know arc welding with nickel rods is supposed to be the best.

I have heard they make a nickel mig wire that is WAY expensive and one company told me to use silicon bronze wire that is a little more reasonable in price.

Im just wondering what has worked for someone else.

Thanks guys!
You can weld to it if you have too, but make sure that while its still red hot after you finish the bead, to take a ballpin hammer and peen the hell out of it.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You can get nickel rods for stick welding. They are usually pretty reasonable. The thing that I have usually heard for welding to cast is to preheat before you weld.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
What is the cast steel on?? Axle housing????

I've welded to those before with regular old MIG or 7018 rod.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
You can get nickel rods for stick welding. They are usually pretty reasonable. The thing that I have usually heard for welding to cast is to preheat before you weld.

Post heat too. Let it cool real sloooowwww. Wrap a blanket around it if you can, or even stick it in the oven and bring the temp. down real slow. Usually in the post heat is where you get the crystalization of the weld. Try to brace it to something else that is mild steel as well to take some of the stress off the cast.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am building a panard bar for my front dana 60. I want the brackets to sit on the old spring perch that is connected to the housing. My radius arms and coil buckets are filling up the whole tube on the short side so thats what Im left with.

I thought about building a plate that I could bolt to the spring perch using the stock bolt holes and one u bolt then I would have mild to mild.

I know that panard is under tons of stress so Im just worried about it ripping off of the cast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts