Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A race or two ago we haerd that Weiser was going to have another race this year. Has anyone heard anything. Seems I remember them wanting to be part of the MH points thing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey all, Talked to a gal named Denell from the Weiser Chamber of comerce and they are going to have the mud bog on October 1. I explained some of the problems that they had last year like the 20 foot deep pit. She would like to hear from Tag and Chris Bowman. Also I gave her this website so every body could ask questions and post ideas. Her phone # is 208-414-0452.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Weiser Mud Bog

Hello All,

Glen pointed me over here and I'm sure glad he did.

And yes, Weiser is hosting a Mud Bog on October 1st.

I used to do a lot of rock climbing about 20 years ago but am only familiar with Mud Bogging through being an observer, not a participant.

So.. essentially I don't know jack.

But the powers that be, here in Weiser, have said "GO FORTH and MUD BOG"

Now, I wasn't here last October, but I understand there were some problems with the Bog last year and I want to avoid that this year.

So.... I am asking for any advice and/or help on making this year's Bog a winner.

I probably won't be able to make this weekends Bog in Fairfield but I'll be at Mnt Home's the weekend after. Hopefully, I can meet some of you folks and get some advice and tips.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:thumb: MamaD,
Great news! The guys and ladies from the Mountain Home facility have learned a lot about putting together a good pit. They are also the ones to talk to about the organization of the race.

Basically, it's like Glen said: the pit in Weiser was way too deep. At one point I could have sworn I heard Chinese coming up in the bubbles I was blowing with my exhaust in the mud. The first round saw most folks only getting their front tires into the pit before coming to a stop.

If you build a "speed" pit like Mountain Home (about 24" deep) then make sure there is LOTS of shut down for the faster trucks. We tend to run out a long way.

If there is room then I vote for a side-by-side pit with 15 to 20 feet between the lanes. Side-by-side racing is much more fun for both the drivers and spectators.

That's a start for some ideas.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I think everyone would prefer a slightly smaller pit. But you should keep it a bog and not a speed race. Some people like the speed but some have their trucks built for the deeper stuff. I'll be there either way. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[img]

Last year was pretty deep. This is a shot of me after breaking through the wall everyone else was hitting. I am sitting on "high ground"! The mud was hitting most trucks in the middle of the grill. I don't mind deep mud as long as we all don't watch one truck try to see how far they can go (which is about 15 to 25 feet and then sit around and watch for the next ten minutes as they are drug out by a tractor. Spectators get tired real fast of watching trucks get stuck. Folks should at least have a [i]chance[/i] of making it through. [/url]

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
pit depth

we do have enough room out there to have two pits, one a speed track and the other a bog.
How deep would be best for a bog?

The property out there is owned by the City of Weiser. Last year I guess, the City Council were the ones who had final say on how deep it should be... I am formally requesting the City Council tonight for permission for me to have complete control over it. They have already yes unoffically but I am going thru the formalities to make sure all my i's are dotted and t's crossed.

My main concern here is for everyone to have a good time and to have this thing done right this year.

I would like this to become an annual event, possibly even several times a year like Mnt Home. The sucess of this year's Bog will determine if that will be possible.

Since you folks(mudders) are the ones who do it all the time, I figure your advice is best.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Rock crawling background huh??

What about setting up a rock crawling venue there????

Id be interested in that!

I would love to help set it up and design it too!

Give me a call at the shop if you are even slightly interested :thumb:

323-4275
Thanks
Shane

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
BadDawg said:
Last year was pretty deep. This is a shot of me after breaking through the wall everyone else was hitting. I am sitting on "high ground"! The mud was hitting most trucks in the middle of the grill. I don't mind deep mud as long as we all don't watch one truck try to see how far they can go (which is about 15 to 25 feet and then sit around and watch for the next ten minutes as they are drug out by a tractor. Spectators get tired real fast of watching trucks get stuck. Folks should at least have a chance of making it through. [/url]
I agree with I am just saying don't build the pit so trucks with 33's make it all day long. At least put some difficulty in it.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I went to a bog in Montana once and they had a long cable hooked up to a tractor for the lesser classes. You hooked up before you started and then everyone was told to stop with in about 50 ft of the end of the pit they unhook you and a four wheeler took the line back. If you didn't make it they pulled you out quick. Kept things moving along nicely :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to think attaching a cable to a rig before they jumped into the mud was a good idea, until I actually drug one by hand. They are HEAVY and can really hender what a rig can do when drug through the mud. When we ran the races in Starkey we ran a cable down next to the pit at least part way to have it handy for those who couldn't make it through. There was always a tractor sitting ready to quickly pull out the stuck rigs.

There are two kinds of mud races: one is a bog and is usually a single pit where the object is to see how far you can get and the distance is measured for each rig. The other is more like a drag race with side by side racing. Sometimes the "drag race" is in slow motion and it does end up being about who got the furthest. We have done both and had fun as drivers. Our problem in Starkey was that it became so big that we had over 100 rigs we had to run through and if each rig took 5 to 10 minutes to watch get stuck and then drag them out it ran into a two day event.

I like a challenging pit, that's why we like mud racing more than sand drags. We do both. There is a real art to building a good pit, no matter which kind it is. And even if you know what you are doing the pit can get ugly. We will have fun no matter which kind is built, just so it doesn't end up where all you can see of the rigs is the top of the cab.

This is great. It has been years since we could even have a conversation about what kind of pit to build. The sport has really picked up in the last few years around here. :thumb:

·
Registered
30 Posts
weiser bog

Ok I went and walked the place where we will be holding the bog.

I have a 700' long by 400' wide area for the pits/tracks/whatever
and an adjoining area thats approx 500' by 250' for parking.

How wide should the tracks or the bog be?

I'm still considering having both a bog pit and a side x side
speed track.

We have the room.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hey Denell,

Were you at the Mountain Home bog this weekend? I think that this was one of the best pits we have had to race in. Deep for the stock trucks and fast for the bigger trucks. I would suggest something like that for what you guys are trying to do. Side by side 18 to 24 inches deep 150 feet long with plenty of shut down for trucks like the Dawg. When we spoke on the phone you mentioned having some other events to run through the day. I would talk to Shane at HBRK and have him help you set up a rock course. Then do like a Mud bog starting at 12 run the mud trucks once then a rock crawling for a couple of hours then another mud run and maybe finish off with run offs or whatever. Mud Volleyball, 4 wheeler mud bogs, snowmobile mud bogs. If you have it during the chili cookoff have a couple of venders down where the racing will be. My suggestion is not to do a deep sink hole where nobody can get make it. Anyway we have another race in Mountain Home in two weeks get ahold of Chris Bowman if you want.

Glen

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mud Bogs

I tried to make this last weekend , but my son used my truck and it was weekend before payday so I didn't have the gas to make it to MH and back and then to work this morning. I will most definitely be at the next one.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:thumb: :thumb: Good ideas Glen. Sounds like Weiser could turn into a major fun event. Looking forward to it. By the way, our last race together was really good. We were really close at the end. One mistake and you would have taken me. :thumb:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Looking forward to the next race. Our new motor will be in this weekend and we might copy your header idea, I really like the way yours turned out. We are getting so much mud under the truck we are actually restricting the headers. I told your wife to make it fair you should pull two of your plug wires :mrgreen: or maybe only run one paddle tire on each axle. I think that is a better idea. :thumb:

Glen

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:thumb: That's one of the reasons we went with the headers going up. In Weiser last year the mud was so deep the back pressure killed the engine. Too bad because I think I could have gotten through after breaking through the wall.

One paddle huh? Don't you think I make enough turns as it is? Something tells me your new engine is going to put the Dawg down.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Put the Dawg down? Maybe with one paddle. Our fastest time was still half a second behind you. To be honest I dont think we would be where we are at if we didnt have you guys to chase down. One thing for sure we learned a lot about NOS in the last two years. After blowing up three engines last year we tore down the one we have been running this year and not even any hot spots on the pistons. By the way good luck in Soda. Show them how the western side of the state does it.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because of folks like you guys, racing has gotten to be a lot of fun. It really is cool that so many other folks have stepped up and are chasing us. It makes for some good racing to watch and drive in. I don't know how much longer we can hold you guys off. Now that I'm retired from HP our racing funds have almost run out.

With your new engine will you stay in Pro Stock and Pro Mud?

Last year we ran in Mud Mod in Soda with the Boggers and got my ass kicked :oops: . I couldn't get any traction, too much wheel spin :? . This year I'm jumping back up to Pro Mud with the paddles and running against the boys with NOS. I don't expect to place but I hope to do better than last year. VERY slippery mud over there and they seem to have it all figured out.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts