Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

What would you do with a nearly-free waggy if you could?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a '73 waggy with a 360, TH400, and I think D-44s front and back. It's got the single speed transfer case, it's been sitting in a field for a dozen years and there's a variety of reptiles and birds nested in it. The body panels are whole, with almost no rust and no crumpling that I saw. The floorboard would need to be patched or replaced.

Best of all, the things not going anywhere and I can get it for a song. I think $100 and beer while helping and he'd load it up and drive it to my house for me (the owner is my age and we've known each other for years...I was close friends with his mom, his grandma, and the rest of his family.)

I leave it there because I have nowhere to put it and no money to work on it with. But I was thinking that with stouter axles, maybe grab the NP-200 sitting on another rotting vehicle closeby, rebuild the engine and tranny, and lots of cosmetic work I could have a comfortable tow rig. It'd take awhile, but I couldn't help but learn quite a bit since I can't afford to pay someone to do it like I did my first truck.

The reason I'm inclined this way is because it's big and there's a lot of metal that can be crumpled. It's not the optimum off-road vehicle even with all the above effort. Right?

Or am I right. What would y'all do?

-Mikey-

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I think it would be a cool tow rig, but really are you going to tow your truck with it or what? I love to see those lifted a bit and restored. So heres what I would do. Get it running. Get rid of the quadratrac t-case find a 60 rear, convert the front or rear to match the other axle. t-case could be many different things. Patch the body up so that no more damage is done. Then when you get tired of the ratty body pull it off fix it, and lift it etc etc etc. Of course this is the most expensive route to go and also a very time consuming one. Just my opinion

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Some of us do, I love your waggy Paul just a bit smaller than a fullsize but plenty of room for everyone, with a family that goes with you a truly ideal rig

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
blt2, you run that exo'd chopped primer gray waggy that is built to the nits, and you have some photothreads here, huh?

That is my kinda rig, so I guess to validate the vote that I made, instead of flipping, I would entertain the idea of building, still kinda wish I had the one that I owned a few months back.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Yeah, it would be cheaper and easier in the long run to just pick up an older 3/4 truck of some flavor for a tow rig. Seen them go in OK condition for $1,500 or less.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After Eric's poke, I should explain the "tow vehicle" option which, by the way, is my preference. But I understand it's the least money conscious...hence my conundrum.

I have a fullsize Chevy with 1 ton running gear, one fully capable of towing. That's part of the problem. When I figured out how I wanted it built, I couldn't go all out because I knew that the more flexible my leaves were, the less likely they would be to run happy with my camp trailer's 7k lbs wet tow weight. Bobbing it drastically is out for the same reason. While I'm not inclined to put coil-overs on this truck, I couldn't if I wanted to. So...another tow ride to pull my trailer would be nice. One that's got lots of room for coolers full of...soda. And Hershey Kisses. And all that other perfectly innocent food and drink.

But I know I'll spend $20k on it by the time I'm done, because that's the kind of fool I am.

I could get the nice Chevy K3500, not primo, but nice, including the required D-60/D-70 and an NP-205 downstream of a 454 and a TH400...all in good shape...for about $5k (at least that's what Ebay's told me...I haven't hit Craigslist.) That makes more sense, right? Right?

Naw. Not as fun. Not different. Besides, I like Jeeps.

Maybe it should have a blown Caddy 500 cid, keep the Quadratrac, lower it and bag it, and then run over all the rice rockets on 17th street. No, that'd just get me drummed outta Planet4x4, and I just got here.

Choices choices. Well, until I get a place to put it it'll stay where it's at...abandoned in a line of abandoned vehicles. Turning into dust. Not too far from a '79 Toyota, I should add. Still has the stock axles/other parts, but the tranny is in the bed and the transfer case is sitting on the front seat. I think I heard that the engine welded itself together...dunno for sure. That one interests me, too.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Your not going to use the waggy as a tow rig. You would be fine for a utility trailer or a small camper but anything else would be a little sketchy. I like length and a stiffers suspension when I'm towing. I say use your one ton for towing and build the waggy into your wheeler. My. 02

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
No kidding! Jack the front axle from your Chevy, slap it under the waggy for an instant spring over and add a few inches of WMS. Then slap a 3/4 ton front into the chevy since you are just going to retire to it to towing duties. Find a 14 bolt out of a 3/4 ton and put it in the back. If I remember, the chevy 1/2 and 3/4 tons almost share the exact same spring to spring width. So a day of u bolts, brake lines and drive shafts and you would have a pretty stout base for wheeling.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you believe in fate. And Anti-fate?

You know what's going to happen, right? The damn thing's been sitting in the same weeds for over a dozen years, so I'm guessing that my bringing it up here will send the Muse Beeyatches over to K____'s house and force him to scrap it for no apparent reason whatsoever. The next time I go there, it'll be gone. I just know it. Just the random thought has me all worked up. All because of you guys... }8 + ) For some reason that bubble of exigency shoved its way into my groin this morning just because I thought about these posts...all because I got cocky.

Of course, there is still the '79 Toyota. He's also got...nevermind. He's got a nice pile of cars performing oxide experiments. If my groin bubble is right, I'll just pick another one. And this poll has answered my question regardless the beater I choose. Axles, 1 ton transfer case, big leaf springs, cut metal, and an intent to really damananjange the rocks (that's a special made-up word meaning to "really beat them up." THAT much I'm now sure of. And since I'm sure, I've traded the exingency bubble for a "f**k that" bubble. Feels good!

-Mikey-

ps: Damn...I'm getting excited. It's been many months since I've wheeled and I think it's made my butt soft. And after all these years of, at work, being called a "hard ass." I can't hardly take it.

pps: I've had multiple beater cars that I raced, but I've never had a beater rock machine...this is gonna be FUN!)

ppps: There is NO way in hell I'd undo any part of my one ton to fix up another rig, regardless how logical that step might sound. I've waitedwaitedwaited a long time for my truck to be released to me (I'm hoping this weekend, maybe next) and I'm thinking I won't even drive it for awhile. I'll just pray to it. Because I need to, considering how...challenging...the last year of waiting for it to be done has been. Some of you might understand, but I doubt many of you do. Because many of you are too damn smart to wait as long as I did.

p-quad: After that I'm gonna beat the crap out of it. That's why I didn't paint the body and that's why I've already warned my wife that I'm making a tube and diamond plate bed to put in place of the dentable one. I'm building Hummer style ladder-bar skid plates. I'm installing a 117 megawatt laser just behind the D-60 axle so I can vaporize the rocks that I can't crawl over. That and slow 1J drivers with cowboy hats still on their heads while driving...

-Mikey-

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Just a note here all. The single speed T/Case is a Q Track without the reduction unit on the rear. P.O.S. That also meams the rear is offset to passenger,,, and probably a AMC 20. Some had offset 44's....

I'm voting for trail rig !!! Sawall then big axles and tires. Then wheel it like you stold it.
I'm pretty sure they didn't start using the AMC 20 until 80 or right around there. I know the 76 I parted out a few months ago had a 2 speed quadratrack with an offset D44 in the rear. I don't think they ever had an AMC 20 with the massive offset for the original quadratrack, but I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm pretty sure they didn't start using the AMC 20 until 80 or right around there. I know the 76 I parted out a few months ago had a 2 speed quadratrack with an offset D44 in the rear. I don't think they ever had an AMC 20 with the massive offset for the original quadratrack, but I've been wrong before.
i agree, 73 should have a 44 unless a 20 was swapped in. watch out though, 73 was a change over year for waggy drive trains. some (like mine when i first go it) have a closed knuckle d30 front, a 5x5.5 bolt pattern, and drums on all four corners. the rear should be an offset 44, but i would check it out because there are a couple variations from 73. but even if it has those, you could just buy my old axles for some cheap spares :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts