Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the V10 in the 99-02 superdutys a good motor? Seems strong, but I understand they get horrible gas mileage. Is that accurate? I am getting a little closer to buying a newer pickup and want your thoughts. I will be getting a crew cab. I know the diesel is better, but wondering about these.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Good engine, bad milage. Like most all gas engines used for towing....

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My first superduty was a V10. I blew the motor on the way home from the dealership!! It had like 70k on it. So they put a new motor in it for me and it ran great for about 4 months then it started having problems to. Sometimes it wouldnt start. Sometimes it would idle but when I touched the gas it died. The last time I hauled the Scout to Idaho (last summer on the rock trail) I got 5 MILES PER GALLON!!! I know something was wrong with it but still!!! I messed with it for awhile then said screw it and traded it off on a 02power stroke. Which I love by the way

In my opinion I think you would be better off buying an older Ford with a 460. About the same power and gas mileage and a lot easier to work on. Better yet.....just find a 99 powerstroke. You can find them for around 15 in good shape. Hopefully the tranny has all ready been replaced:rolleyes:

Why do we like Fords again???:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I expect poor mileage towing (5 is worse than I would think) but it's the bad mileage when not towing I don't want. I also don't expect outragreously good mileage, just not horrible. Thanks again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a V10 in my motorhome. I love it. I get about 10 miles haulin' a Heep at 75 MPH to Moab. If I am not haulin' a trailer I get about 15-17 MPG. I have not had a lick of problems with it. The V10 has a lot more power than a 460 and gets better mileage from every thing that I have seen.

The new V10 is even better than the older ones. It has lots more power and gets better mileage than the first generation.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I've looked at these a lot too. It seems you can pay for the difference in poor gas mileage compared to a diesel just in the price of fuel difference. I have a friend who has one with 180k on it. He bought it new. He says he gets between 10-12 mpg pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer. He has a heavy foot. And he runs with guys driving tweeked diesels. He seems to keep up just fine. He gets in the 17-18 range running around town. he went from 97 Powerstroke to a 99 Dodge Cummins to this. I think his is a 2000. He must like it a lot as he still has it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a 2002 F350, it was my work truck,got it brand new put 250,000 miles on in three years,never had a problem with it.Got around 10 and 11 towing with it and empty on the highway 14 to 15, in town would get about 5 and 6 miles. Had more power then my dully with powerstroke it was a 2000. V10 had the 5 speed and 410 gears.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 56 mpg in town is what worries me. Is that common or has anyone done well in town. I will drive it back and forth to work daily, tow on occasion and haul junk around. I get about 12mpg in town now and that is good enough for me. Is it feasable with a v10?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I had a 2002 F350, it was my work truck,got it brand new put 250,000 miles on in three years,never had a problem with it.Got around 10 and 11 towing with it and empty on the highway 14 to 15, in town would get about 5 and 6 miles. Had more power then my dully with powerstroke it was a 2000. V10 had the 5 speed and 410 gears.

Very realistic.

Some of the other MPG claims are not accurate.

My duramax only gets 12-13 around town empty and the cold really affects that. On the freeway empty best I can get is 17-18 if I only go 60-65mpg. Towing the jeep I get under 13mpg going 65. I get around 10 going 75. I know that it will break in and get better, but I have been disappointed compared to the alleged MPG that I would read from others on the internet.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Real world gas mileage on a couple different rigs with different motors.

Peppers 94 powerstroke truck lifted towing the buggy we were getting 11-12 average at 75ish about 15 empty

My 2wd 92 burb towing with a 454 got 11-12 towing the buggy on the open trailer at 75ish and 15-17 empty. With the 20' enclosed trailer, we got ~9mpg.

My 04.5 dodge Cummins got 13-14 towing at 75ish and 18-20 empty

My 99 burb with a 454 gets 14-15 empty at 75ish, I havent got to tow with it yet.

All empty measurements have been highway miles.

If you are going to get a gas engine to tow with, get a 454! They tow like a mad man, and are really a fuel efficient motor for being gas.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
my 2000 F250 with V10 gets 12-14 in town, 11 towing, and about 16-17 on the freeway...
You must let that thing just idle around, or you have a 2x4 block under the gas pedal...

I know a lot of people with those motors, I have never ever heard one of them say they got anything more that about 11-12 cruising on the highway empty with a tail wind.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
My '92 Dually with the 454 and 5 speed manual got about 9 in town and 7 or worse towing with the camper and car trailer. It would get about 14 on the freeway if I kept it under 70. I also got passed by everybody including a homeless man on a riding lawnmower once.

Dont know much about the Powerstroke I just got but in the last week it has averaged 21.7 MPG with driving back from Rigby and driving around town since then. This includes some acceleration tests with the chip in "extreme" mod.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
And you had the worst era of 454 out there, in my opinion, the injection was a poor step over carburetion.
The Vortec 454 was a heads and tail better motor.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I don't own a single one of these trucks nor have I ever, but I think both the Dodge and Ford v-10s are good motors overall, you can always get a bad egg, Cheston got way unlucky with his truck.

I did drive a u haul van with a Ford v-10 fully loaded up towing a sami with a highway speed of 75 mph from Phoenix to Salt Lake City and it got 5 mpg. I know for a fact that Forango on here gets over 13 mpg towing just his durango. That was on a normal trailer. I have some very good freinds with Dodges that get 10-15 mpg towing 8500 lbs (cummins) He has 3 of these and although almost all the miles are highway his oldest currently has 450,000 miles on it.

I honostly think that no matter what you get Ford V-10 Dodge v-10 or Chevy v-8 they will all perform very similar to each other, same with diesels. Just gotta find the best deal (something Scott is good at) Good luck with the shopping Scott. Talk to Corey he has a couple of lines on some trucks

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
With the fuel costs these days, if you ask me, it's VERY hard to justify the cost of a diesel truck if your looking to save $$ on fuel.

As for fuel mileage, I get 16-17 mpg pretty much anytime the truck is empty.
The best I ever got was 18mpg doing 80-85 from Mtn Home to Preston and back. No idea how that worked out.

Towing my Jeep (about 16000lbs for the whole setup when I weighed it about a month ago) I get ~14mpg.

(all hand calculated #s btw. I don't have a fuel mileage calculator built into my truck)

A 2wd standard trans Cummins with 3.55 gears and stock tires can get in the 22-23mpg range. That's about the best combo for fuel mileage though.

Nate, those #s aren't too bad.

Guy I work with just bought a new Mega Cab a couple weeks ago, and he's been getting 12-13mpg empty with it so far.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
With the fuel costs these days, if you ask me, it's VERY hard to justify the cost of a diesel truck if your looking to save $$ on fuel.
That is my thought.

Unless you are towing 80% of the time, gas seems to be the way to go, if you calculate the overall $ per mile.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Even if you are towing, With the price of diesel last year, we towed thousands of miles to comps and back....

But we did share a ride with another competitor for our TX comp....Towing buggies on a 26' flat deck trailer towing 75+ with a 05 dodge dually crew cab diesel....We still got 13-14!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
One other note, my friend's around town mileage isn't probably typical around town driving. We live in MH. He isn't starting and stopping all the time. His around town is probably 6 miles of 45-50 mph and a half mile of 30 mph each way every day. I thought about this after Nate's comments (his around town has about 8 miles of highway each way) and driving to Nampa Friday evening for the Monster Truck deal. My VW which typically gets about 28mpg around town in MH. Only got 25 on that tank. It was all the traffic and starting and stopping that was killing my mileage. I can see where driving a big truck in the Boise area or other larger city would SUCK the fuel down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts