Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here’s an update on the doubler. Got everything working and took it out for a simple test run. We were at the beginning of the road where it was a bit snowy with deep ruts. Decided to put it in 4Hi to help out with the traction. Managed to get around a little bit. Played in some snow and continued up the road, nothing too major. All of a sudden I hear a loud BANG and my buddy over the CB saying I’m bleeding. I knew at that point that the trip was over.

Thank you Ford for a T case with an aluminum housing. I am not sure what caused the failure. I believe that it was one of those fluke incidents that was just waiting to happen. It occurred in 4 hi with not much stress on any drive train components. I was just casually cruising up the road with no tire spin 2nd gear and lower rpm’s. The doubler wasn’t engaged and nothing I can think of on my part could have caused it. The only other possible explanation is when the rear flange on the t case was removed last week; it was torqued on too tight during reassembly (but is this even a possible outcome of something like that?) Well in the end, I’m in the market for a new BW1350 and I didn’t even get to test out the new doubler off road. (scratch 1 for carnage, 0 for Ford) It’ll be down and out for a while before I can get time to tear it apart and get it all put back together, and this is all depending on the availability of a t case.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oh man what a bumb deal. I know how it feels to put all that time and money into something and have it go boom.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I should have left it stock with the 31's Paul...I had less problems back then and what seemed like more fun...now I'm stuck in that middle ground you were in a few years back...decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
198 Posts
My advice? You can't go back. Just roll with the punches. Truth is if you're like me the build is as much fun as the end result it just doesn't seem like it while you're in the middle of doing it.:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts