Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks High Desert! It was a great day and I didn't see anyone without a smile on their face. Well except maybe Brian T. after his mom's Jeep got smashed.

I have a few photos. Some more tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Everyone I talked to all day said they had a great time, both on the poker run and the rodeo games. I was asked several times why we did not do this more often. (Until you have been on that end, it is hard to realize just how much volunteer work goes into these things.)

A thousand kudos to Chuck and Sherry for ramrodding this. :thumb:They spent alot of their own $, and countless hours to get this together. All the checkpoint folks, the chefs, the prerunners, the judges/timers, registratrs, the balance beam constructors, the rangemaster, and any I missed; many thanks for your time and willingness to help make this happen.
Thanks to all the clubs represented, and the offers/willingness to help.
Many thanks to Bucks 4x4 and others that donated prizes.

I believe we ended up with 27 rigs entering the poker run, and many folks bought extra hands of cards. Thanks for your support.

These events won't happen without volunteers, so when you can-give some of your time so we can continue enjoying these events.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wht a fun day! I'm so glad the weather was awesome for us! No rain at all!

THANK YOU Chuck & Sherry!!! We really do appreciate all of the time and effort you put into this and other events! Your efforts do not go unnoticed!!!

:drive:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just wanted to echo what has already been said. I met some great folks today and had a lot of fun. Well worth the long drive down from McCall. I even received a little custom sheet metal work to remember the good times. Oh, and a broken hub too. Still had a lot of fun in my "pretty" blue Jimmy. Couple of pics of the fun:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I was supposed to be there no matter what. Looks like a great time was had by all. I was on my way when a main bearing decided to let go inside my motor. It was a long sad trip home being towed

·
ITTC Wench!
1,419 Posts
We had a great time as well. It was my father in laws first time "off roading" and he had a blast. He said he couldnt believe some of the stuff we do (and that was at the turkey run, maybe we should take him up 2 headed dragon next:rotfl:). My step dad now wants to buy a buggy and I'm thinking he should buy Krazytoy's buggy:thumb:. And somehow I earned the new nick name of Ditch Digger! I just want to say another "THANK YOU" to Tony and Mark for pulling my big truck out of the sand, I got to use my winch for the first time!!!! To everyone eles who also came to my rescue, a big thank you to you as well. And Tony, I know you said that it wasn't my fault, I didnt break your toy....but sorry I broke your toy! They were able to get me unstuck before my husband showed up and had the "opportunity" for braging rights for pulling me out with pictures! I would also like to say a big thank you to everyone at HDOR for all their hard work putting this run together... and to Nate for the Ice scrapper that I won. As Chuck said, I will use it to see so while I'm talking I wont run off the trail and get stuck:darn:.
Thank you again to EVERYONE for all their blood, sweat and tears so this great event happened. We all had a awesome time!

·
Registered
698 Posts
My family and I had a wonderfull time. I didn't make it last year but after this year we will plan on attending. I will make Maria drive next year so I can get the good poker hand, or not let the kids draw the cards. She smoked me, I ended up with a pair of 3's and she took home a turkey with a full house, Queen's over 6's. Thanks to everyone who put in the time to put this on, it was a great time.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I very large thank you, to all volunteers. I had a BLAST!!! Toy worked great, I got 3rd in the blindfold rodeo, what an experience...

Fun day for all.

The best part, weather was nice, no rain, light wind. We did a couple short night runs, and it was even warm at midnite!

I hope no one skipped out because of bad weather....I dont think anyone could have asked for better!

:beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Heres to a great 2nd Annual HDO Turkey Run. The weather cooperated and most rigs did as well.

It was fun running one of the check points. From my vantage point high on Marker hill I could see clusters of vehicles driving back and forth and back again. The Montgomery's pink and purple paint scheme could be seen for miles!

People would make their way up to my hill, dissappear as they stopped to put it in gear, and then come up with a roar of the engine and smile on their faces.
I could not see it but could only hear The Carroll's V8 toyota on Horsepower hill. Pretty soon they were at my hill using that V8 to make it up the "steep" side!

As Mark Bennett and I were coming back to camp at the end of the day we came across Sherry's Big Dodge off in the loose sand. The local ranchers were already there helping her which was awesome. We thought we might need a snatch block. Mark says "Ive got one." We needed jumper cables. Mark says, "I've got some." Someone said "I have heartburn and need tums. Mark says, "I've got some!"

After we got back to camp the 4x4 rodeo started. The drivers were blind folded and then with the instruction of the passenger had to drive through an obstacle course. LJ talked me in to taking the buggy through the course.
I dont know who was more scared me or LJ. We won the course with a time of 2:54 seconds WITH penalities on a course with an average time of 4 minutes! Keith and Dustin came in second place with a 3:05. It is very strange to be told to mash the gas and go for it when you cant see a thing!

The balance beam was a lot tougher than I thought. I couldnt balance at all!

The turkey shoot had a FOUR way tie at the range with four 47s out of a possible 50. The range was set up at camp and there was a THREE way tie of 46s. One more shoot and Lehi ended up the winner! Those guys can shoot!

After we put the vehicles away the Dutch ovens fired up and hamburgers and hot dogs got grilled. There was some tasty dutch oven dishes. I have to learn how to do that!

The prizes were handed out and we raffled off lots of stuff donated by Bucks 4x4 and Alliance title. Many thanks to our sponsors. We appreciate your support.

Roxanne and I left about 8:00 at night. The fire was going and everybody was still sitting around talking and laughing.

It was a really fun day! The weather was perfect! The poker run was just challenging enough. Cant say the rodeo went off without a hitch but we had fun.

Thanks to everybody that attended! You made it a success! Congratulations to all the winners. Hope to see everyone back next year.

Too all the volunteers, thank you! Whether you ran a check point, the rodeo, helped set up, loaned out gear, we could not have done it without you.

A special thank you to Chuck and Sherry Coble for all the time they spent planning, scheming:D, and executing this event!! I know you spent countless hours and a lot of money and materials putting this together. Thank you, thank you and thank you.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The Montgomery's pink and purple paint scheme could be seen for miles!
That would have been the clark's Pink & Purple Pig (it was the Turd back when it was rust primer) Montgomery drives the flashy blue donkey.

People would make their way up to my hill, dissappear as they stopped to put it in gear, and then come up with a roar of the engine and smile on their faces.
Gineric & I snuck around the back side of your hill just to throw off anybody following us. :what: Only 3 tracks on that one, a bike, 4Wheeler & ours. Best trail we hit all day.:thumb:

So, who were the "ringers" anyway. If I was a bettin' man (which I am not according to my poker hand) I would think Sherry or Lehi to be the ringers representing WWOR.

Hats off to HDOR for puting this on. A very well planned & laid out event for all. (Well, except for the 4x rodeo parking
. )

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I could not see it but could only hear The Carroll's V8 toyota on Horsepower hill. Pretty soon they were at my hill using that V8 to make it up the "steep" side!

I looked on google earth, to give an idea how loud that lil toy is....

Its 2.5 miles from benchmark, to the top of horsepower hill.

Thanks to everybody that attended! You made it a success! Congratulations to all the winners. Hope to see everyone back next year.
We will be back, no doubt! Id even do it at night!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Thanks to everyone. It was a great time.

Greg, I wasn't a ringer but I did go the wrong way on purpose when certain people were behind me. LOL

1 - 20 of 38 Posts