Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else on here turkey hunt? I just got mine this morning. :thumb:

Attachments

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
nice! was that in the owyhee,s. we have a bunch here too.

up around rexburg, they hand out in the hyway median. lol lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
a friend and i had plans to go this weekend but we will be working 12 hours shifts non stop for the next 2 weeks. hopefully i get a chance to go this year i havent been turkey hunting since i was a kid

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
:help: :what: :what: :what: So... which one is the Turkey??:what: :what: :what:

:flipoff: :flipoff:

nice Bird!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hunt some land towards Idaho City. I met the owner 5 years ago knocking on doors asking permission and have hunted it since. The mountains are beutiful this time of the year. On the way there today I saw about 200 deer and two herds of elk. Try to get out Travis you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I've tried the last 3 years but down here there is no general, draw only and so far I havn't drawn (3 years in a row). I think the system is screwy cause there are a couple guys I work with @ Sportsmans Warehouse that have drawn the last three years in a row.
I might just get pissed enough and drive up north next year.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Travis if you can hunt it I do. Hate to say it but 4x4 goes second plate behind hunting. I haven't really got into elk yet. I mainly hunt the Owyhees and bunch of farms. I guess I have about 15000-20000 acres of private land that I can hunt. It makes it easier than having to deal with idiots.

I was planning on taking Greg out for Pheasant this year when I get back your welcome to tag along.:deal:

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
I can't wait! Pheasant rock. I enjoy hunting dear & elk and it doesn't really matter if i get one myself. It's just being out there, getting up at 0-dark-30 and hiking ythe hil sides. I've never hunted private land but the areas my buddies & I go to are too far off the beaten path for most of idaho's road hunters. I used to go hunting pheasant with a coworker after we got off mid-shift about 4 times a week.

Back in Wyoming, I used to go antelope hunting with 4 coworkers. Unlimited tags cost $15 before season opened and only $7.50 after opening day. The game cops had to check every kill and wen we drove through the checkpoint with over 12 antelope in the back of the pickup (all 48 hoofs sticking straight up), he looked pissed and called 2 other wardens over to help him record ages. Wyoming rewards land owners for letting people hunt antelope on their land. After a kill, the hunters put a section of the tag in a box at the entrance and the landowners get $7.50 for ech one. Made for a good hunter/owner relationship.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Trail Bus said:
I can't wait! Pheasant rock. I enjoy hunting dear & elk and it doesn't really matter if i get one myself. It's just being out there, getting up at 0-dark-30 and hiking ythe hil sides. I've never hunted private land but the areas my buddies & I go to are too far off the beaten path for most of idaho's road hunters. I used to go hunting pheasant with a coworker after we got off mid-shift about 4 times a week.

Back in Wyoming, I used to go antelope hunting with 4 coworkers. Unlimited tags cost $15 before season opened and only $7.50 after opening day. The game cops had to check every kill and wen we drove through the checkpoint with over 12 antelope in the back of the pickup (all 48 hoofs sticking straight up), he looked pissed and called 2 other wardens over to help him record ages. Wyoming rewards land owners for letting people hunt antelope on their land. After a kill, the hunters put a section of the tag in a box at the entrance and the landowners get $7.50 for ech one. Made for a good hunter/owner relationship.
Stories like this always pique my curiosity in hunting, but good lord its like fishin. Once in your life time you have a great -luck- day, and that is all you have to go on for years. Lehi, sounds like you have some great luck, but I bet you put alot of time into it. For me, wheeling comes first, as far as hobbies. You know there is the family and job and stuff. :flipoff:

See you guys on Sunday.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I guess I have about 15000-20000 acres of private land that I can hunt. It makes it easier than having to deal with idiots.
ya nothing like getting peppered with 6 and 4 shot at the WMA areas this last year.

I never really hunted for deer till i got here didnt get anything last year, so im looking foward to this year. as far a birds go i love quail and dove. phesant was a new one for me this year and i will defintly be heading out again for that this fall. Im down to go out for anything i found that whistle pigs and rock chucks are one of my new favorites.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Interesting tidbit, you can hunt turkeys in all 50 states.

My dad is a member of the National Wild Turkey Federation. I've spent many weekends hunting turkeys. It is sort of sad but I haven't gone hunting since I moved to Idaho. That was 8 years ago. My dad also loves hunting antelope. But he lives in Wyoming. Land Use is a big deal there. The bazillionaires have been buying up land next to the forest service land and then getting roads closed. Smart lawyers with hefty salaries have allowed a lot of them to do it. So the same land use fights as 4wd enthusiasts.

I've always wanted to go sheep hunting. Maybe someday?

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Baja Travis said:
I never really hunted for deer till i got here didnt get anything last year, so im looking foward to this year. as far a birds go i love quail and dove. phesant was a new one for me this year and i will defintly be heading out again for that this fall. Im down to go out for anything i found that whistle pigs and rock chucks are one of my new favorites.
Since I moved here I have gotten at least one deer a year. two years in a row I had two depredation tags designated to me from the farmers so I ended up shooting three deer those years and the Landowner Depredation tags don't cost a penny. I can definetally take you deer hunting if you like the desert. I got my spots but I'll kill ya if you ever tell anyone.:shame: :deal:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
lehi said:
I can definetally take you deer hunting if you like the desert. I got my spots but I'll kill ya if you ever tell anyone.:shame: :deal:
how far on the planet site is that comment extended to? :deal: Im a looser I've only got one doe my whole hunting carear :darn:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
muddinmike said:
how far on the planet site is that comment extended to? :deal: Im a looser I've only got one doe my whole hunting carear :darn:
It all depends. I'll talk to you at the cleanup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts