Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I’ve got a week next week to kill. (Mon. May 8- Sun. May 14) I’m planning on doing a weeklong trip into Idaho, but I’m looking at options. Maybe some of you have some ideas or input as to where to go and where to stay. I’ll have my bronco and be fully self sufficient, so some wheeling is a very likely possibility. I’ll mostly be camping unless something else comes up. I’m planning on making a big loop to Nampa ID to visit Wildgoose, MightyMouse, and few other old friends. (yes, I’m calling you guys old :D ) Here are some of the ideas I was tossing in my head. I’m starting from Bozeman, MT and need to be back to Bozeman by that Sunday.

Day 1: Head to Yellowstone and do 1 night in Yellowstone
Day 2: Cut across 20 and do Craters of the Moon (I’ve never been through there and want to check the area out, any wheeling/camping?)
Day 3: Push though to Nampa following Hw20, and spend a couple days there.
Day 4: Wheel and visit friends in Nampa
Day 5: Do the same, maybe travel down to the Owyhee’s and play around in there
Day 6: Either head north to the Saw Tooth’s for the nigh or follow I84 south to City of Rocks to do the night there
Day 7: Head back up to Bozeman.

This is just a rough itinerary, and those of you that know me, know that I rarely make plans that I stick to. Those are just some areas I thought would be interesting to see along the way. If any of you have had experiences as to where to stay, and where not to stay, and such, please let me know. Currently I’m just looking for opinions and options as to what do you guys think would be a worthwhile tour? Any places I need to see and such? Thanks! :goodjob:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Hit Shoshone Falls/Hagerman area.

·
Registered
213 Posts
swiss said:
Well, I’ve got a week next week to kill. (Mon. May 8- Sun. May 14) I’m planning on doing a weeklong trip into Idaho, but I’m looking at options. Maybe some of you have some ideas or input as to where to go and where to stay. I’ll have my bronco and be fully self sufficient, so some wheeling is a very likely possibility. I’ll mostly be camping unless something else comes up. I’m planning on making a big loop to Nampa ID to visit Wildgoose, MightyMouse, and few other old friends. (yes, I’m calling you guys old :D ) Here are some of the ideas I was tossing in my head. I’m starting from Bozeman, MT and need to be back to Bozeman by that Sunday.

whats up swiss, long time no see or hear, moon rocks is awsome it would be even better if u could wheel there so just take your rc crawler, and when your in nampa i the only chance i have to go out and do anything is after work and i get off at 7:00:lame: but i am off wed but im taking my parents to twin to pu there new car so hopefully we can get some wheeling in hope to here from you soon:thumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
:thumb: I vote night wheelin'

·
Registered
134 Posts
mighty mouse said:
well night wheeling does sound great ill have to get some rock lights in and see if i can get a truck to haul it out
I've got a set of lights you can have. Probobly not the greatest, but they work well on mine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a plan to me. You guys want to set up a date and time and location? Wildgoose, where the heck are you? You in? I'll need to get some rock lights on as well, I have some lighting, but no rock lights. (Prob enough to get by)

·
Registered
213 Posts
i guess ill go get some of those lights,
that would be good meating place its close to everyone besides spinach
well now anytime on that wed would be good im going this wed to take the parents to get there car so whenever is good:thumb:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll see what my schedule looks like. What time works best foir you guys? I can try to push in sooner.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey, sorry I was out. Had a last minute trip to Indianapolis Indiana over the weekend. Boss bought a tractor there so Johnny and I left friday and just got back tonight. Long tripy no sleepy. We were deffinitely doctoring the log books to make that one work. You can't really run that long with a day cab truck, need a sleeper cab.

As far as the wheeling:
I will go when ever, night is fine, Haven't seen you for so long I'll treat it as a special occasion!:goodjob:
Got my new driveline in the front so I'm good to go. Neal if you need my trailer I can drive mine out there and all you will need is a tow rig. My lights might not work but it's Owyhee County and most of theirs don't either.:rotfl:

My opinion on Day #2 drive through craters of the moon on your way to somewhere else. I think that will be all you need! Maybe stop for a minute to pee. If the falls at Twin (shoshone) are running water still, that would be cool to see and you could probably leave yellowstone hit craters of the moon, stop at the falls and still get in to nampa in a long day. That would save you sleeping in a tent that night. Up to you man. Call when you start getting near here or if you have problems.

EDIT: I just looked at my calendar and wednesday night is the one night I have to be somewhere. If we are night wheeling it will need to be Tuesday or Thursday. I can probably swing some time off during the day one of those days too. I'll just wait to hear what you guys decide. Later.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like i said, my plans are all still in the air and I'm easy. I can work around just about anything between those days. A far as long trips, it is still a Bronco II, and the 35's don't help the street ability much, but we can work something out.
I was wondering if the Hw 20/Hw 26 cut across is worthwhile? I've never been through there, I've always taken I 86/I 84. I would like to do a day or so in city of rocks just to play around, but that can also be on the way back. If early to midweek in Nampa works best for you guys, I can swing that and then take an easy drive back. Let me know, like I said, I'm easy.

I'll keep an eye out on the weather as well...tenting it in the rain is not my style of a vacation...

·
Registered
213 Posts
well if we end up going on a day besides wed i get off work at 7 and thats down town meridian, paul thanks for the offer on the trailor well see what happens mabey the boss will let me take a truck and trailor ill see what can happen, on wed if its just scouts just bring em out

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wednesday is not. It's a huge deal with about 50 youth on a short hike starting at 5:30 and we won't be done until around 9:00pm. Too big to skip it and I need to be there. Sounds like we can work something else out anyway.

Swiss: just my 2cents. The lava flows are a state park so I am sure there is no wheeling. If you fall down in that stuff you will rip your clothes so you wouldn't want to wheel with good rubber there anyways. It is a bit interesting but I doubt you will leave there feeling it was well worth going out of your way to see. I'd save it for another time. You could actually go through there in the car and see everything. I will plan on taking a couple days off that week once you are here so if you want to go climbing we could go try out the black rocks by lucky peak or even run out to jump creek. I haven't ever tried either but there are route books available for the Black cliffs at REI and I have heard it's good climbing. I would follow you to the City of Rocks too on friday or Sat. if you choose to go that route. We ran past there on I-84 and there is still a lot of snow up at the ski resort so I'm not sure what the park is like right now. It might be too wet. I am not sure if they close the gates or not. I'll try getting some word on that this week so you can make an informed decision once you get here.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems I don;t have a tcase yet. I was planning on having one here today and having it in tomorrow, but customs had something else in mind (shipped from Canada) So tomorrow I am on a desperate hunt for a new t case. Let me know what pans out on your guys' side, and i'll keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts