Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who missed it, this was a helluva run. We had 6 rigs including myself and an atv, I think one rig and the atv avoided damage.
Club members who came with were
myself with my bronco/f-150 thing
darryl with his 85 yota
jeremy with his tj
Non-members were
josh with his 74 jeep (he is a friend from on base)
eric (rockpunk) with his blazer
chris(lumpdog) with his chevy longbed pickup
matt with his atv
90% of the trail was pretty easy, a nice run with some pretty good scenery. We ran the bruneau loop which is about 2-3 miles long (i'l get the exact info when I download my gps) has one waterfall drop and a couple small rockpiles to navigate.
The other 10% was a bit rougher. at one portion of the loop you can turn left instead of right and drive down a river wash to where it enters the bruneau canyon. It is pretty scenic with some awesome rock formations and two waterfalls that can be walked down and a third that ma be possible to climb down. we didn't try this time.
The entrance to this part of the wash caused the most troubles of the trip. It is a rock section about 20 feet long and were it isn't rocks it is loose sandy silt that is perfect for digging to china. The vehicles with the most problems were the open diffed vehicles as the rocks were spaced almost perfectly to leave the drive tires digging in the dirt. Everyone made it down except for chris in his pickup, it was a little too long and a little too low to make it down the first ledge without grinding. He chose to park it and ride along with one of us.
The climb back up was where the real fun began. Eric was the first to make the attempt and with his rig it wasn't even a challenge. He had to readjust his line a couple times to make up for the lack of a front locker but he made short work of what would give the rest of us a very hard time.
Next up was josh in his mildly lifter 74 jeep on 35's and with open diffs. he gave it a valiant effort and pushed his jeep to the limits, destroying his drivers rocker panel and muffler in the process. He was also having some problems with his carb flooding out and this resulted in several clouds of blue smoke, one of them right in my face. He finally elected to take the strap.
Next up was darryl in his toyota. He was open in the rear but had an air locker in front and was making a very strong showing until he bent his steering linkage. He attempted to make a bypass but was unable to turn so he backed off and began efforts to repair the steering.
Jeremy was up next but he was hampered by open diffs and not airing down enough so the best he was able to do after numerous attempts was get lined up for a strap. He made it but his transfer case linkage came loose.
Meanwhile darryl had repaired his steering with the help of chris and his bottemless toolbox and was ready to go. Some time had been taken to repair some of the worst parts of the climb and this allowed him to get a better line and with the aid of his front locker he made the climb unassisted.
I was hoping that my rear spool would allow the same victory. Sure enough it helped me get lined up and get most of the way up the climb but the lack of adequate gearing and clearance bit and I fell off he rock. I made the attempt a couple more times before taking the strap, unfortunately not soon enough.
Attempts to get me over the obstacle were unsuccessful as for some reason I was unable to turn right. It was finally determined that one of the falls had bent my drag link into a U. We were all impressed.
Here I have to thank the people I was out with. Without their help I would have been unable to get this repaired on the trail and would have been forced to leave the truck overnight. As it was we were able to get it straightened and braced well enough for the drive home.

Thats what I have for now. If I forgot anything or left anything or anybody out let me know. Also, for those who took pictures, this would be a good place for them, wink wink :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
It was lots of fun. Thanks for leading it Dave. You're not still coughing up exhaust smoke are you? I'm pretty sure the guy on the atv's name was Matt. I also want to say thanks to Eric, because if it wasn't for him several people, including myself, would be stuck out there still trying to get out of that one spot (I think I'll call it the devils bunghole :mrgreen: ).

Anyway it was good to meet all you guys, and I hope we can do it again sometime.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
If you come up with some pics, I'll add it to the trip report section. :mrgreen:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Nice :thumb: Sorry I missed out looks like you guys had a good time.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks josh, i made the change. Thanks darryl for the pics. There were a couple more cameras out there, hopefully we'll get some more pictures soon

·
Registered
267 Posts
:banghead: Wow! Looks like a fun one. Too bad I had to miss this one too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well just got back round a comp since saturday.Will get my pics to one of ya'll ASAP so you can throw em up.
HAd a good time fellas.Definetly good to meet up with ya'll!!!!!Thanks for letting me come out and getting some wheeling in.Looking forward to the next ride!!!When do you guys plan on hitting Carnage Canyon again?
Yepper definetly need to slam another detroit in the front of my junk.Kinda ticked me that i couldnt take the line out that i wanted!Or just man up an weld that junk .Thanks again fellas... :finger:

·
Registered
530 Posts
:banghead: :banghead: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH
GOSHDANG I hate fricking dial up,and webshots..
Welp,I uploaded 24 or 25 photos to my webshots account (erict151) if anyone wants to head there and post em up here.I couldnt get the shat to take on my end.Dave, Darrly,sorry about not emailing em to you guys,it was taking sooooooooooooooooooooooo long trying to upload them to hotmail,that I had to say fork it..especially after sitting here uploading all those pics to webshots for an hour.hope ya'll enjoy :finger:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
SHOOOOOOOOT,I dont know why I didnt just link em myself..Thanks Lump
No problem,I think I have 2 more of your rig if you want me to upload em on there.you gonna make it to the Nov 26th we're getting together? :finger:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
You know I'd love to see some more pics of Moby Dick beached on the rocks!!!!! :thumb: Sorry, wish I could get outta my plans for T-Day, but I am headed down to Sacramento to have some dinner with my Dad. Make sure to post lots of pics!!

Hey Eric, I pretty much write my own schedule at work, and I go to school on Wed, Thur, and Friday mornings in Boise, but other than that, if you want to tear it up somewhere let me know, I haven't run a lot of trails in that area and maybe we could scout a few more.......my pickup is always up for some wheeling!! Hopefully over the winter I can get my XJ or the woman's FJ40 up for wheeling, until then, my pickup will have to get me as far as I can!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
530 Posts
Consider that a done deal then.I found a few spots on and near the property that are pretty knarly.2 of em i didnt want to attempt by myself.kinda of a long walk to get the tractor or my other rig,to either pull me off or roll me back over :thumb:
My junk MIGHT be out of comission til or close to the 24th wednesday night.Looking at having HBRK ordering and slamming that detroit in for me.And if they can do it,then I am trying to dump it off ASAP..Rather spend the money local and support a member/vendor of this board.Amber is getting back to me in the AM ,so I'll have a definet answer as to the sitrep on the blazer.. :finger:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
SHOOOOOOOOOT ,where were ya at yesterday when I posted up about who or where to go??MUAHAHAHHAHAA :rotfl:
Could I save money?More then likley!
Could I gain the experience to be able to set my own up next time or hlp someone else?pretty sure I could!
I try an stick to my guns at all times,and I told Amber yesterday that i would be giving them my buisness,if they could get me in and out ASAP.They are holding up their end,I'll hold up mine.Not to mention I truely dont mind supporting a vendor from this boad/area,even if it costs me a little more in the end then doing it myself or having folk like yourself helping me out.
Thanks for the offer though boss.When your ready to do yours,let me know,and I'll come over an give you a hand!! :finger:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Thanks for more pics Eric. I'm gonna have to bring my camera next time out. Keep us informed on the locker. I want to see if that beast will be able to make it out of that spot on that second line with the front locked.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Informed you shall be :finger: ordered it from HBRK this afternoon..Dumping the shitbox off wed picking it up that night,beating the guts out of it friday with ya'll..
SHOOOOOOOOT,that line shouldnt be a problem now..let alone that day :thumb:
I aint really sweating that trash now though...The real shit is that wash/canyon we found thursday,with no outlet,and having to knock out a 50 point turnaround and come right back down.Looking forward to hitting that junk.. :finger:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts