Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brief history....

2 weeks ago my transmission stuck in 5th gear.Took to tranny shop where i had new synchros,output-shaft,clutch replaced 2 months prior. Turned out to be in the shifter($5 part: replaced on thier dime)....Drove for 3 days and it now has developed a nasty rattle that appears to be coming from tranny. Back to same shop.(hoping covered by warranty)5 days....4 R&R's of tranny....4 test drives and sound is still there......5th time out they use a different tranny ....test drive noise still there. So they tear into T-case thinking it may be problem....Nothing found...new fluid ...test drive ....noise still there.....

Here's where I start to get uncomfortable......Thier response to unknown issue is put some miles on it and hopefully it will go away or worst case scenario it will break and then they will know the problem.Great :darn: ...if its the tranny(Thier problem) ...if its anything else it's my problem and my dime!So now pissed,concerned,frustrated I start searching forums for possible solutions and think I may have found problem....Busted motor mount(Checking tomorrow after work, Ill post up and let you know if that solves problem #1...Doubt it!).Problem # 2 is my other concern.......I think they left the other tranny in my jeep and I wasted money on synchros and other internal parts.....Is there serial #'s somewhere on tranny or possibly vin code to identify if they indeed did swap or do I take thier word for it and hope all is well.(Which I dont believe to be the case!) My main concern is the AX-5 tranny brass synchros and are prone to failure and I dont know the inner workings of this tranny.....or what form of abuse its been put through!!!
..I was there when they originally tore into mine and it looked ok, and what didnt I replaced. I spent 2 hrs reading posts in other forums and it seemed to be a general consensous that jeep trannys rattle...deal with it. Im not sure i can buy that answer..but if thats the answer...so be it!
Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.:darn: :darn: :darn: :darn:

PS: 91 YJ 2.5/5spd

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If the motor mount is the culprit and the noise goes away, then approach them about the other tranny. Dont expect too much, but it probably was an oversight and they will likely feel obligated to swap them out. It also depends on what work you indeed paid for, but I have always requested the damaged parts from the shop.

My personal opinion is that the ax5 that has been gone through is not much better than the older one. I had the same exact story on my ax15 and I finally swapped in an AW4 auto. I like that solution alot.

I know that you were both likely frustrated with the transaction, so just play it cool and ask nice questions. ( then when you get somewhere we can start to go into details about what the actual problem was and why there was so much work done for the wrong symptom ) :darn: :darn: :darn:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to the shop owner and it turns out that what they did was build another tranny using mostly my parts and new parts that they thought may be the problem. I actually have a pretty good relationship with the owner and feel comfortable that is what they did.Noise still buggin me, but after talking to a few members of SRO and other Jeepers Ive decided to just drive it 'til it breaks and deal with it when I have to:drive:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts