Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may be a dumb question but i need the info to go on with my project. i have a 92 s-10 4x4 with a 4.3l tbi. my tranny is a borg warner t-5 and i have either a np 203 or a np 205 tranfers case (i haven't scraped the crud off to find out which yet). i am planning on eliminating all the ifs crap and going with solid axles. my question is can i swap my transfer case out with another gm transfer case that puts my front drive shaft out on the passenger side so i can run gm axles or do i just need to find a set of axles from an older ford that puts the differential on the drivers side. i thought about using cherokee axles but i don't think they will be strong enough for what i want to do with the truck in the future. any help would be appriciated. thanks :beer:

·
Registered
183 Posts
what are you going to use the truck for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i want to build it so i can take it out and go trail running but if i come across anything fun (rocks and trees) then i don't want to worry about week links.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I seriously doubt you have either a 203 or a 205. I'd bet you have an np231 unless someone swapped it out. Reguardless you could swap out a different t-case which if you are worried about strength may not be a bad idea. However, the 231 isn't a bad case and there are lots of upgrades available for them since they are used in jeeps (although they are slightly different). You may be better off upgrading what you have and using fullsize ford axles since they also use a drivers side drop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that would be cool. as far as the axle swap goes i think i have a line on a set of dana 60's out of an old ford but i think that may be a little much for the little monster. sandman give me a call and we'll figure something out. i just started a new job so my schedule is a little craqzy right now. :beer:

·
Registered
183 Posts
the kit sucks. :( it has no flex and a stage one starts at $1,000. :( besides that it would be great.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Your tranny is most likely a nv3500, AFAIK, the t5 only came behind the 4 cyl. The t-case is either a np207 or a np231, I dont know when the transition took place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts