Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lumpy, you probably have the right answers but anyone can chime in here. Here's the situation. Driving my truck today it started shifting hard from 1st to 2nd, just a real abrupt shift. Then I was pulling onto the freeway and it wouldn't shift out of 2nd. Limped it to the nearest auto parts store and bought a quart of ATF. The dipstick showed a little low and after dumping in some more ATF the shifting is back to normal.

The tranny is a 4L80E in a 94 chevy 6.5 TD. Here's my questions, basically what should I do.

1. Drive it till it blows up then rebuild it? (Hoping it was just a little low on fluid and nothing was damaged)

2. Rebuild it now, and upgrade it to better pull my junk.

3. Drive it till it blows, and swap in a 4L85E.

4. Delete this post and offer it for sale on this website :rotfl:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Sounds to me like you were stuck in limp mode, most commonly caused by ignition switch, wiring, etc. If the trans gets fluctuations in power or a temporary failure, it will go into limp mode until the next drive cycle, or the next time you turn it on and off. Check the transmission codes in the pcm. I don't think the generic code readers will pull the trans codes, you need a scanner. If you have codes, fix those first.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the codes and it threw 74, 85, and 87. I lost my login to TheDieselPage, but I'm pretty sure they are all transmssion codes. I'll know more when I get my new login info. Thanks for the heads up, hopefully I won't be needing a full rebuild.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts