Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was talking to a guy at work about Ford Power Strokes (I have an '01 and he has a '00 for work and an '04 for play) and he mentions an "old diesel trick" of adding a quart or two of ATF to the tank when fueling up. Supposedly it cleans the injectors and loosens up deposits in the engine. He said when he got his '00 Power Stroke with 80sum thousand miles he did this for four tanks and it made a big difference in power and fuel mileage. Any diesel guys out there that have heard of this?

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
At the price of injectors I don't know if I would chance it on a new truck

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
yeah, i know that trick... I would use it in older diesels as well as carbed gas vehicles, but the new ones? no way...too delicate of injectors...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yup heard of it and it works too, on all motors not just diesels, there are quite a few fuel system cleaners out there and most of them are 95% or more just straight ATF. Reason is is becaue of all the detergents in the ATF it does clean them out nicely. But I would only be putting in a full quart if you had a very large tank. I have done it to my toyota, but I only put about a 1/4 of a quart in. Also to clean up the top end of the motor you can suck some into the motor through the brake booster line, but don't put too much in too fast or it will create too much pressure and could ruin the motor. And when you do put in through a vacuum line, it will smoke like all get out....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The modern injection system is the reason I'm pretty hesitant to try it out on my truck. The guy was telling me a diesel could (in theory I guess) run on straight ATF and bio diesel is just recycled vetable oil from Mc Donalds. Sucks they charge so much at the pump for diesel fuel when is so crude. doah

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know for a fact that it works, but don't put it in your gas tank fuel injected friends my auto tech teacher said put just about a cap full in your vacuum line and it will black smoke a bit out the back for about 15 to 20 minutes while it's cleaning it out. I have tired it and works well on cars used it on my mustang one or two times but trucks I'm not so sure but if your willing to try more power to ya let me know how it works. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts