Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted this over in suzuki_land as well. fyi. Has any one used any of Trail Gears products yet. any input on the company? quality of product. looking at t case gears for sammi. thanks guys

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seems that trial gear has a lot of the same product as all pro. thier merch. seems identical in all the pics too. coincidence?

i think that i read somewhere that the guy running trail gear is an ex emloyee of all pro or something. that is just hearsay though. don't hold me to it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
seems that trial gear has a lot of the same product as all pro. thier merch. seems identical in all the pics too. coincidence?

i think that i read somewhere that the guy running trail gear is an ex emloyee of all pro or something. that is just hearsay though. don't hold me to it.
The guys name is Chris Geiger i believe. I think he also worked with marlin crawler. I've done business with him when he worked at all pro and always got good service.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I've helped install two of their solid axle swap kits. The kits seemed to be built well, only problems we had were with shipping and recieving the wrong parts and a little on the communication side.
Ozzy and Blazinzuk on here have delt with them a lot. I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I wouldn't rank their service as stellar but its better than most. And their prices are better than all pros usually. With service that is the same or better than all pro and their prices I usually end up ordering from Trail Gear.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yeah the guy running it is an ex employee of All Pro and Marlin Crawler. Chris Gieger is his name and he is the number one ASSHAT in my book, but that is probably just because I own a tacoma and I know what he thinks of tacoma owners....if you need proof of what he thinks of his customers, I have it and he don't want me to be spreading it. He made a real tool out of himself over at the TTORA board a few years back while working for All-Pro, there is a reason he got ran off.

But that is just my opinion, you can form your own if you want to....

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I agree it seems most Toyota guys think he is scum of the Earth. In the Land Cruiser world there is very little positive said about him or Trail Gear.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Trail-Gear = the Walmart of the 4x4 world.

With regards to them producing a decent product at a good price they do have everyone beat. It isn't a mom and pop shop, they've got big $backing$ and can produce and sell things for a lot less then the competition. I've got their stuff on my truck and it's decent.

Now that they've got the run of the mill stuff dialed they're looking into fun inovative parts and systems for toyotas, zuki's and I'm sure in the long run even Jeeps.

Are they the "best" company out there, nope. Do they have the best customer service, nope. But they do have great prices and just like Walmart, that's what's going to keep them in business.

I don't blame Chris from hopping from one outfit to the next, that's just business, you go where the money and the potential for money is.

If you want to order stuff from a guy that's humble, makes killer products and really does put customers #1 then order from Marlin.

marlincrawler.com

He's a great guy and has really done a lot for the Toyota aftermarket.

Jim over at inchwormgear.com is also a good guy and makes some decent stuff, especially with some of the new bling for TACO's.

my .02

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
If there is a part from trail gear you need, Sky-manufacturing also deals in trail gear products, you can still get the parts if need be, without dealing with them directly.

Sky has done above and beyond with customer service for me!

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts

If you want to order stuff from a guy that's humble, makes killer products and really does put customers #1 then order from Marlin.

marlincrawler.com

He's a great guy and has really done a lot for the Toyota aftermarket.

my .02
I dealt with Chris Geiger while he was at All-Pro and he wasn't a very personable guy to me on the phone....... I will leave it at that.

Unless it is considerably less (which I haven't found to be true, I will purchase from Marlin. Never has done me wrong, great products, have talked to him on the phone and he takes the time to answer any and all questions you may have.
Skys manufacturing is also good people who have been exceptionally cool to deal with for what I have gotten from them!
Haven't ordered from trailgear and am debating as they are the only one I can find with a nice LONG slip for front driveline..... time will tell!

My not so short bit of feedback!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't blame Chris from hopping from one outfit to the next, that's just business, you go where the money and the potential for money is.
Well that is the case if it wasn't for the fact that he was run out of the other places for his customer service. At least at All Pro.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I
I will purchase from Marlin. Never has done me wrong, great products, have talked to him on the phone and he takes the time to answer any and all questions you may have!
Pardon the paraphrasing, but I so second that.

He rocks. Asked a question about trannies last year, expected simple yes or no, or "you are high for considering that, stop wasting my tme" an d I got an hour discourse on the functionality, and himself being referred to in the third person, and then putting himself in the first person as if he was attempting my project, and then coaching his attempts from the sideline.

Awesome guy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i also refuse to buy from Trail Gear, or any of their products, from any of their dealers. i contacted Chris about the colorado 4runner jamboree (CO4RJ 2006) we wanted to know if Trail Gear would like to show support to the off road community, it wasnt like i was asking for a $800 item, i told him anything, a couple of hats, t-shirts, key chains, something small, give away items. and we would put his company name on the event shirts, to help promote his business.
Lets just say, he wasnt the friendliest guy, a simple no would have been nice, Ive heard alot of, not so nice stuff about him personally, and about his products, and how hes stabbed All Pro in the back, but of corse, thats just hear say and internet talk.

does he even manufacture any of the products he sells ? or does he buy it from overseas ?

amen. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts