Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some thoughts on a traction bar. I am thinking about running basically two links from the frame (mounted with a shackle) one on each side of the t-case one will be lower than the other one and on the axle end they will be mounted on either side of the cast iron center section on my 14b. The questions I have is, does anyone think this will give me torque steer? Should I angle the links to help a little with lateral stability? Should I use heims(most expensive) or something like johnny joints, keeping in mind that in the spring and fall my truck sees alot of deep mud. And last but not least what to do for a front traction bar? :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Best results for a traction bar if you simply want to eliminate axle wrap is where the shackle is mounted from a crossmember to a bar that triangulates to the axle. Bushing mounts on the axle close to center as possible. Heims at the shackle end.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a traction bar like the sams one It worked really well. My idea just makes two traction bars that mount like the sams bar but is a single peice on each side. One will be mounted higher than the other. The reason for this is it will be easier to make one act like a skid for my driveshaft. Do you guys think I might get torque steer out of a set up like this? I am reasonably sure this will kill most axle wrap problems I have. :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have an idea of what might work for you but I have to show you, so stop by :thumb:

by the way....your missing another cage build......

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I would be much good right now Steve I hurt my wrist. I will stop by tommorow :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
blazinzuk said:
I had a traction bar like the sams one It worked really well. My idea just makes two traction bars that mount like the sams bar but is a single peice on each side. One will be mounted higher than the other. The reason for this is it will be easier to make one act like a skid for my driveshaft. Do you guys think I might get torque steer out of a set up like this? I am reasonably sure this will kill most axle wrap problems I have. :rotfl: :rotfl:
does not seem like there would be enough room for all that??? with a 14b?

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its less than it sounds. One of the reasons I want to do it this way is because I will be welding mounting brackets to the tube instead of to the cast section of the housing. I am not the best welder around and would feel more comfortable welding to steel tubing than cast steel. :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
the idea behind the sams bar is that it welds to the tubes, not the chunk - you should mount it on the pass side to have less torque lift, but it works fine on the driver side for my jeep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts