Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

toyota suspension with 1 tons?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  WOOD 
#1 ·
hey all, been doing lots of research on this project im getting ready to start and looking for some more input. im putting 1 tons under my toyota ext. cab pickup and trying to decide if i want to 4 link front and rear or link rear and run springs in front. if i ran springs in front i was thinking either chevy 52's or 56's. im wanting to run at least a 40" tire but no bigger than a 42. i have seen a lot of people running springs front and linked rear and love the way it performs. im new to rock crawling and just looking for some info from people that maybe have ran either set up and their opinions on them. thanks.

#3 ·
Front link suspensions are difficult and take lots of know how and understanding of how they work. A 4 link with conventional cross over steering does not work very well, a 3 link would be more appropriate and would handle much better. I would stick to leafs up front if you don't know steering geometry and suspensions very well. Leafs can and do work well and are much, much simpler.

#6 ·
Will randomly throw out my thoughts.

ive Had both, currently linked 3 link with panhard. Flexes awesome with the links but more difficult to set up. Springs are much simpler and cheaper... I have airshocks up front and is a concern that if I blow one up I'm Screwed.. (I still drive what's left of mine to and from the trail.) that has made me question my decision to link the front personally. So far so good... But have bend a few links and pushed my luck a little!

WOOD runs springs on his 1st gen and 39.5 pits with tons.

I run toy axles and have had 37's, just upgraded to 38.5 pits but as mine isn't running can't compare too much.. There isn't a lot of room to play with with you axles and frame for everything needed.

You can outboard a little more with tons...

What are your plans.. Motor? Trans? Transfer cases? Will make a difference over all in planning.

#9 ·
Will randomly throw out my thoughts.

ive Had both, currently linked 3 link with panhard. Flexes awesome with the links but more difficult to set up. Springs are much simpler and cheaper... I have airshocks up front and is a concern that if I blow one up I'm Screwed.. (I still drive what's left of mine to and from the trail.) that has made me question my decision to link the front personally. So far so good... But have bend a few links and pushed my luck a little!

WOOD runs springs on his 1st gen and 39.5 pits with tons.

I run toy axles and have had 37's, just upgraded to 38.5 pits but as mine isn't running can't compare too much.. There isn't a lot of room to play with with you axles and frame for everything needed.

You can outboard a little more with tons...

What are your plans.. Motor? Trans? Transfer cases? Will make a difference over all in planning.
as for motor, trans and t case im running the 22r and factory 5 speed and toyota t case doublers. going to run 5.38 gears in the tons and lockers front and rear.

#12 ·
I've been running a four link rear and leaf springs up front for the last four years.
I wouldn't change a thing.
The leaf sprung front is extremely stable and with the four link in back I don't have to worry about axle wrap.

(rig has one tons, 5.38's and 39" iroks)

#13 ·
I run RUF but still have some front leafs mixed in the pack. Works pretty good for the money it saved. However I do plan to link the front and rear in the future, I have 99% of the parts but just need the time to put it all in! Ha ha ha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.