1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
341 Posts
You could, but you would be riding on the coast side of the gears, in turn wouldn't last too long.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'd imagine you'd run into pinion bearing lube problems?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
You would be going backwards forward?? That does'nt sound right. The ring gear would be on the wrong side of the pinion in turn making the axle spin the opposite direction. The only way to make that work would be make the thing a mid engine like Shanes buggy.. I don't know if that makes sence, but you can't do it. Well you could do it, but the tires would rotate opposite than the back and that might make things bind up. You could get a high pinion 3rd, but they do not "recomend" running them up front.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok

1. I would not be running the gear set up side down, I would be running the axle housing upside down. Essentially moving the third member from the right side to the left side.

2. Because the housing would be upside down, I would have to cut and turn the knuckle ends 180 degrees to compensate.

3. That is why I asked if the third member would bolt in upside down with a little housing clearancing.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Oh, and BTW a low pinion third member in the front does drive off of the coast side of the gear set, that is why a reverse cut gear is stronger in the front, because it drives on the drive side. So all Yotas (except the HP 80) fronts drive on the coast side of the gear. Ever wonder why the FJ80 went with a smaller high pinion gear set in the front....because it was as strong or stronger.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Yeah makes sence now. I don't remember if the the studs are cemetrical? I built a skid for a guy and I bolted a 3rd in upside down cuz it was for a high pinion front. Yeah and you are right, can't run a high pinion in the rear, my bad. Or not "recomended". If you really want to do it you could just weld up the holes and drill and tap new holes. If my memory serves me correctly only the two center holes line up. It could be done with a little fab. time. And yes you do have to grind a spot for the ring gear to go into the houseing I do remember having to do that. I have a toy front end sitting in the shop with the 3rd already out. I'll try and flip it over tonight and see if it would work.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I believe that its 55" wide.
Chris,

You weren't very specific. Which Yota axle? 80, 60, 70, 40/55, or mini truck? I have WMS measurements for all of them at home.

I don't know the answer to your question. It is too bad they aren't built like a Dana and you just yank the tubes out of the center section.

Eric V.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
So you want to make a driver side drop, but still bolt in the third member right side up, right? :thumb: Very ingenuative, if that's a word.(i think it is):lame:
Anyway, the stud pattern is not symetrical. So like krazytoy said, some fab time is needed to make this work. BTW, if it does work, let us know.:bowdown: After all, you are the guinea pig.:thumb: :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Pirate, Wild Yoats, RME, and Rockrawl (overtaken by spammers, shame really) all told me that it is feasible, and functional to make a drivers drop Toy 8", back during my SFA van lunacy.

The van is Drivers side IFS.

Had donor pickups, wanted to keep it all related.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts