Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in march i'll be moving back to Idaho and I will be towing my CJ. should i save the money and flat tow it(currie shackles and towbar) or spend the $200 and trailer it. i haven't towed it before, and so i'm not sure if there would be a huge difference for the 16 hr drive?

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Personally, I would use the trailer. But thats just personal preference.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
PavelowIII said:
in march i'll be moving back to Idaho and I will be towing my CJ. should i save the money and flat tow it(currie shackles and towbar) or spend the $200 and trailer it. i haven't towed it before, and so i'm not sure if there would be a huge difference for the 16 hr drive?
trailering for $200.00 is a hell of a deal, I wouldnt pull it the whole way

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pull the rear shaft and flat tow -- Save the 200.00 bucks and the extra weight !!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey Ken how about flat towing with a Bronco 20 ?????

·
Registered
89 Posts
Doug I've always gotten mixed answers to that question. It's a gear driven oil bath case, so should be ok. Then others say they've burned them up. Never really wanted to flat tow the $1000- $1500 tires around. Anybody got factual based info?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was thinking of trailering it anyways to keep wear off the tires. i think spending the $200 is worth it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Looking at what, 750-800 miles? If you have nasty tires like Boggers, Swampers I would trailer it.... "normal" tires, wouldn't really be that bad IMO.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Ok... I was off a little bit. Street and Trips is saying 970 from Kirtland to Boise. Yeah I'd trailer it... well that is if you have a truck that will be able to handle the trailer and Jeep.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Yeah, I just checked with yahoo maps (which sucks because it has you go up through denver to wyoming) and it said 1280 something, but I just checked with Rand McNally and it says closer to 950. The moral of the story, don't use yahoo map.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be towing using a 04 Grand Cherokee with a V8. sorry i guess i should have posted the towing vehicle first, and the route we take is around 950 miles which goes through moab,SLC.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
PavelowIII said:
I'll be towing using a 04 Grand Cherokee with a V8. sorry i guess i should have posted the towing vehicle first, and the route we take is around 950 miles which goes through moab,SLC.
Well you will have to lie in order to rent a trailer, cause that is definitely not rated for towing - i said that i had a 97 f250 when I did that - it did fine, but i highly recommend against it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
WJs have a 6500lbs tow rating. Should be under that with a CJ and normal sized trailer I would imagine.

·
Registered
545 Posts
As long as it's not a Ford Exploder UHaul will pretty much rent to anything. They rented me a trailer to pull behind my Nissan Frontier to haul one of my wagons back from Colorado with.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
nate said:
WJs have a 6500lbs tow rating. Should be under that with a CJ and normal sized trailer I would imagine.
go try for fun, see what happens - been there, howdya think the yj made it to boise from sacto two years ago??? pre towrig days wifes 00WJ :deal:

not recommended, once again

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as far as the towrig, its the only option i have so it'll have to work. uhaul said they would rent the trailer, but I better check first so they don't change their tune once I get there.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I would say it's not "ideal", but it's not like your pulling a 15000lb travel trailer with the WJ.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts