Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if i could use a torque converter out of a th 350 in a 700 r4 if not does anyone know how cheap a new torque converter would be for the 700r4 it is in a 88 s 10 :beer: thanks

jeramie

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
You can not use a 350 converter on a 700. The converter looks similar, but is completely different. Just curious, why are you replacing just the converter anyways???? Not too many problematic converters in 700's, it's usually caused by something else in the trans not working that causes converter failures........

Should be able to get a reman stocker for $100 or less at a trans parts house......check the phone book.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reaSON i am replaceing the converter is becuase the dude that had it was towing some big ol boat of a car over the mt hood passes and he said he over heated the torque converter it is what he said but i dont know i will have to check it out[/b]

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
I have baked many an auto but have never damaged a torque converter. I bet the tranny's toast but the converter is OK.

On one baking of a 700, the front main seal went out (melted).

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
i replace the converter on every rebuild, unless the customer requests otherwise, upon which time they assume the responsibility of possible damage from a faulty or damaged converter.

If the trans was baked that bad, then the converter clutch lining may be damaged as well as the piston seal inside the converter, plus, any debris that entered the converter will be trapped. Converter seals on 700's are prone to failure if the bushing is not staked in, the drain back holes not enlarged, and if the seal retainer is not installed.

Most converter overheating concerns are due to the converter clutch not being locked on in OD, due to bad converter, solenoid, valve, or oring on the input shaft.

700 normal complaints are no third or fourth, no reverse, or no movement at all. 90% percent of all 700/4l60e trannies I repair have these complaints.

If the trans still moves and shifts ok, then run with it, otherwise, bite the bullet and have the trans built right by a reputable shop. It may cost more than a Freeway trans, but you'll get lot's more for your money. Slapping a converter on a mediocre trans will only cost you more money and headache in the long run.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the guy siad he had it in second when he was going over the passes and he said after you drive 20 miles on it it heats up and will not go sounds like the tranny is shot to me what do you guys think thanks :thumb:

jeramie

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts