1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I did not vote either way. Its up the user to decide.

For cost effectiveness: Welded or spool. If you do the welding, a lincoln locker is the cheapest. Just the cost of your time+rod or wire. You will have to (or should) remove the carrier from the housing, remove the ring and bearings prior to fully welding. I know there are people welding the spiders in the housing. You should weld the crap out of it and it should get really hot to get your welds to proper penetration. I know some that did not really get good welds in there and the welds broke. This cost them more than if they would have done it right.

Spool is the second in line for cheap. Just replace your carrier and bam you have a locked diff. Not to mention it is lighter too. (If that is your concern) No worries about it. Road manners, you will drag tires in a turn. For front end no way would I choose this option.

For some, like me, I use cutting brakes and the detroit is the next best thing. But they are $$. Used to be a time when you could buy a detroit for 570 bucks new. Not anymore. But they too are a "set and forget" locker for the trail. On road they are noticeable during deacceleration specifically in a curve. Icy roads they could be dangerous. This application can be used for the front end as well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If it is a trailer queen rig then a spool would not be bad but I just don't care for welded or spooled axles on street driven rigs. I would spend the money on a locker just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Due to recent threads, the welded rear (spool) debate has crossed my mind.

Would you rather have a auto locker or a spool for the rear.

This would assume that you would use no cutting brakes etc., and that the rig is not going to be the daily driver.

I have two rigs with welded centers and really like the guranateed performance of them, as well as the reliability.
I have no comment about the poll, but what does "guranateed" mean? I think you need to use the advice you gave Cory last night and find that one in the dictionary. :flipoff:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I voted for lockers, thought I suppose on a trail only rig you could use a spool. It just seems that the ones like Lockright, it's just so easy. Keep original carrier and install the locker. My first time it only took me a couple of hours. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have no idea, but I'll let you know when I get the 9 inch under my truck. It is spooled.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
welded is the way to go. i never question if i have traction. it is always there.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Not ready to advise until you tell us what the housing is. I would not even waste the wire on any jeep housing.

If you are talking 14 Bolt, HELL YEAH, even that trooper housing.

I will vote welded or spool on anything 3/4 ton or better, but not on this thread til you clarify.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think it was just a general question. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have anything he is looking to weld or lock right now.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Rigs with ratchet differentials outperform spools and the like on hill climbs that require wheel spin and/or steering to a complicated line. This is more of an issue in the north-east where the terrain is almost always wet and muddy.

I have seen a couple cases on dry rocks where a spool forced the rear of a rig into a non-ideal line where rigs with ratchet differentials had enough slop so that the rear tracked the front better.

If you have the money and can set up gears go with the detroit. If you are short on cash but can setup gears go with the spool. If you don't setup gears weld it.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have been running a spool in the rear for several years, both with the previous dana 44 and the current dana 60. I have run at highway speeds on the interstate and have run several trails too.(but not at highway speeds)

I would continure to use the spool even if someone gave me an air locker or detroit (give me one for a dana 60 - I will keep the spool in the rear and use the Detroit in the front lol)

Pros: traction! Predictability - price - strength - love it! Will not take out your Detroit if you break an axle ('cause you don't have one remember)
traction!

Cons: dangerous on the road with short wheelbase vehicles under icy conditions - would not be good for competition(you need cutting brakes) It pushes the front. I don't see this as a big problem, you get used to it and for a trail rig, you can back up (usually) if you can't make the turn. Another reason it is not good in a comp rig though where "backs" are "points". Tire wear? no big deal on a "crawler". Don't know how it would be on slick muddy conditions, Peter has experence there. I stay out of the mud, wouldn't want to get the old Jeep dirty!

anyway, my .02 after having run one for a while

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
875 Posts
After having a detroit and a mini. I would say go spool. I have never ran one in a short wheel base though other than my easly bronco and that was just in the mudbogs. I guess here in a month or two I'll get to see how it acts on the street and the trail:thumb:
What do you guys mean by "cutting brakes"?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts