Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets talk Titanium. I have discovered a good source for the stuff. I think right now I'm going to just get some flat sheet to do my body panels with and maybe my dash. The issue is the welding as I understand. I might be able to get enough to do some cage work. From what I understand you can TIG it in an Argon atmoshpere and be OK.

Does anybody here have any real world experience?

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Matt, a bazillion years ago I welded titanium by tig, using argon shielded gas. Try getting Super Dave to go over to the base flightline welding shop and talk to them. They will be welding that on the aircraft.
About all that I remember is that it has to be super clean at the welding surface.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey Matt I will check for you, the guy that does all my tig welding runs the welding - fab shop on the base , I will try to get him to post on here.........

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
UHHHHHH I have some in my leg but I don't know anything about it other than it hurts like a sum bitch in the cold wet weather:pissed:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I know it's wicked expensive... and you can't mig weld it, tried that once.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i feel your pain on that one twistedjack

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can tig it. I have never with mine but some one told me once that to do it you get a second argon feed hitting the back of the weld too or it will contaminate from the other side. Some evidently weld small parts in a complete argon atmosphere box like a glass bead unit. Am not speaking from any real world experience though. I have played with some ti samples though, it's some wicked stuff. Way more flex than I expected and compared to steel it returned to original (held it's form) way better.

Also just to ramble on...I read an article about a european mountain bike maker who made one out of ti that was a full rear suspension without any rear suspension just 6" of frame flex. Sounded far out there but I guess thats one of the best points of titanium is the relx and return aspect. I could see a wicked cool radius rod that could take a hit and spring back! Cost then really becomes the new issue.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have tig welded titanium for anodizing racks. Titanium loves itself, flows together and makes pretty welds! Even just doing a fuse weld adding no rod. It has been a few years since I welded it.

Unless you can get the material for cheap that is going to be one expensive dash! Cant wait to see it done.

BTW you can get titanium fasteners from anodize rack mfg companys like

http://www.vulcanium.com/anodizing/catalogue.asp?id=192

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can get it for 10 cents a pound, scrap price, no kidding. Usually in sheets but sometimes in Tubing or other forms.

Is it easy to cut into sheets? Might make good body panels.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Sandman said:
I can get it for 10 cents a pound, scrap price, no kidding. Usually in sheets but sometimes in Tubing or other forms.

Is it easy to cut into sheets? Might make good body panels.
Is there alot of it available?
would you mind sharing your source, or is it pretty limited??:goodjob:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
twistedjack said:
UHHHHHH I have some in my leg but I don't know anything about it other than it hurts like a sum bitch in the cold wet weather:pissed:
Amen Brother! My arm aches like an SOB every October. :mad2:

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
so what DO you do with that arm while you are out hunting??????:what:

if you switch hands that one prolly wouldn't hurt so much!!!:idea: :idea: ;)

:flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there alot of it available?
would you mind sharing your source, or is it pretty limited??
Yes, and no. :flipoff:

Lets just say its in the Family. ;)

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Triple T said:
I have tig welded titanium for anodizing racks. Titanium loves itself, flows together and makes pretty welds! Even just doing a fuse weld adding no rod. It has been a few years since I welded it.

Unless you can get the material for cheap that is going to be one expensive dash! Cant wait to see it done.

BTW you can get titanium fasteners from anodize rack mfg companys like

http://www.vulcanium.com/anodizing/catalogue.asp?id=192
if it flows so well could a guy go old school and oxy/acetylene weld it togheter?

cheaper than a tig welder :what:

·
Registered
496 Posts
"Titanium 's great affinity for the atmospheric gases oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen rules out all welding processes in which the molten metal can come into contact with any of these elements and result in embrittlement.
Oxyacetylene welding is therefore not possible."

Processes for welding Ti
  • Gas-tungsten arc welding (GTAW)
  • Gas-metal arc welding (GMAW)
  • Plasma arc welding (PAW)
  • Electron-beam welding (EBW)
  • Laser-beam welding (LBW)
  • Friction welding (FRW)
  • Resistance welding (RW)
Long answer, NO!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I admit, I don't know what some of those terms mean, but is one of those regular arc welding with special rods or something?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts