Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulled over in idaho falls today on 17th street. they said I was to close to the car in front of me.
Watch out ther clocking you in a speed trap if you will an giving you tickets for 62.00.
The officer said I was .93 seconds away form the other car I don't know how he could tell that. I told him that i had just switched lanes and then was backing off but he said your still braking the law.
Maybe next time I should stop in the middle of the road and wait for traffic to clear before I go again.

thanks for the ears!!!:darn:

·
Registered
327 Posts
For some reason sounds like they are cracking down on a lot of things in IF lately. Tires sticking out from fenders, distances between cars. What next? Lifted too high and no mud flaps? I've already had cops in Pocatello hasseling me about that one.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Fight it. Go plead inocent (you can do it through the mail), and then make the police prove it. 90% chance it will go away.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree on fighting it.

My wife got the same thing, driving down 17th, some one made a right on red in front of her, and the cop pulls her over for following to close.

Long story short, she fought it and the cop didn't even show, judge dropped the ticket.

A pain to fight but worth it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cops suck, no offense JT. I got pulled over on Tuesday night because I have "illegal modifications" to my Jeep. He said my tires stick out too far and I need mudflaps:lame: . He said that a rock could flip up and hit a windsheild from my tires and cause an accident. I've never heard of that happening. Then why are dump trucks with whole loads of rocks and gravel legal to drive on the road. Your're always hearing accidents involving those. Just my opinion

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh you better belive were going to court thats stupid. I look at my speedo it said just under 30mph so I thought that I better back off just after changing lanes that when I saw a squad car with its lights on no chance he said your still breaking the law!!!!!:lame:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Before the TJ was turned trail rig I gathered tickets at an amazing rate!

I have paid almost $500 in mud flap tickets alone!

Can't wait to drive it around town after the one ton swap and 39.5's are on it! :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Fight it! I was ticketed in Rexburg for failing to come to a complete stop. Long story short the ticket was dismissed. Makes me mad that I haven't fought against a few others.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
No offense taken redxj90 but here's a story about a rock.

Not to long ago in Boise, a man was driving with his 4 year old son in the car. A dump truck caught a rock in his rear duals and flipped it out. The rock went through the man's windshield and hit him in the head, killing him instantly. Imagine the poor 4 year old. I think about it sometimes.

Anyway, I know, not the same. It had duals, we don't. I know ISP in particular is hard on equipment tickets, maybe the story of the 4 year old is why, maybe not. They really are just "doing our job" ISP didn't write the laws but go by what others thought was important. The laws are for our protection and the protection of the many idiots who have drivers licenses. I know it doesn't seem that way when you are getting pulled over for a tire sticking out an inch or so but try to have a good attitude toward it . You can always make it legal or trailer it I guess.

At least equipment tickets don't go against your driving record or your insurance.

It is always the officers judgement as to what action to take on equipment. If you are civil to the officer, he may just give you a warning. I know my Jeep does not meet the requirement on the tires, that's why I trailer it.

We have the most pertinent equipment laws posted on the Idaho Offroad web site for those interested.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Funny thing about duals and mudflap laws. In TX if you have dual rear tires on anything, pickups included, you are required to have flaps, period. That's pretty much the only mudflap laws I know of there. I find it funny that ID isn't the same way since they seem so mudflap happy about everything else. Seems duals have a much better chance of picking up and throwing something that could actually cause some serious damage than any single tire.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Even if it isn't a law to run mudflaps on your rigs, it's common courtesy. Pull them off once you hit the trail if you really want.

The laws are there, if you don't follow them and get a ticket, I don't see how that's a cop being an ass. It's more like a cop doing his JOB. Your the one that chose to not follow the law.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The above is correct! For all the tickets I have gotten in my rig, I have gotten the same amount of warnings...

Having a good attitude with the officer is the key.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
When I get pulled over and asked if I knew why, I normally ask if its for mud flaps, fender flares, front bumper height, rear bumper height, or headlight height... after a chuckle i normally get a mud flap ticket. They say if i get them on by the court date, they will get it thrown out for me. And they do.

They respect honesty, playing dumb usually costs alot more.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Its kind of funny to me, I know all the laws and even though my Burb looks pretty stupid with the drop bumpers and semi mudflaps I have never been pulled over. I know my headlights are illegal and my tires stick out too far but I believe they see the mudflaps stick out as far as the tires and I make an effort.

·
Registered
288 Posts
thats true lehi if you at least make the effort in trying to obey the law cops will see it. im tired of people complaining about cops doing their jobs a little off subject here but i hear teens always saying that cops are ass's they harass them and i tell them all that if you quit being jackass's to them and have more respect for them things would go smoother. JUST RESPECT THOSE WHO PROTECT AND SERVE just think about your kids and what would happin if there were no cops?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some cops are guys trying to protect and serve.
Some cops are guys out to get anyone who reminds them of the guys who used to steal their lunch money.
Some cops are guys who have such rigid, anal-retentive minds that they thrive on enforcing uniformity and lack the ability to distinguish between the intent of a law and the written word of the law.
Some cops are ego-freaks who say things like "trigger time is happy time".
Some cops compensate for incompetence with brutality and/or arrogance.

Some cops work for bosses who have fixations on things like lift and tire size, or noisy exhaust, or for raising x amount of money each month with tickets.

Some people have long hair/punk hair/nose rings/ sideways hats/tatoos/stupid sayings on tee shirts (all things that signal disregard for societal norms/authority) and then wonder why Officer Fife eyeballs them from the start.

Some people drive like idiots and make the cops think "what if my kid was playing near the street?"

It takes all kinds I guess, but when you get pulled over for things like tires/lift, it probably goes back to the mayor/city council.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Law Enforcement officers have to deal with some of the most pleasent people around. You know the murders, kidnappers, and tweakers, and all the people you never see on the news. The people with hep C, and HIV that try and spit at cops or fight with cops while there covered in there own blood. The people who say they will kill them and there families when they see them again. Having to deal with that on a daily basis you would probably become a little "anal" as well.
Not everyone is bad, Bad things do happen to good people, but you want to say cops have nothing better to do but feed there "ego" cause you got a fix it ticket. Your way wrong. Personaly, I take the ticket, wish the officer a good day and go about my day without giving the officer any more crap then he/she already has to deal with. Cops didn't write the laws the just enforce them.(Law Enforcement Officer)
If a cop says, "Trigger time is happy time" then maybe he/she takes to heart, and practices more than once every six months. I'd rather have a cop who pratice a few times a month with there weapons rather, than a cop who pulls there weapon out of the holster once every six months protecting me. Besides it you where paid O.T. and the ammo was bought for you, Trigger time would be happy time for you too. But I guess that makes them "Ego" driven.
I've gotten a few tickets in my day, and the cops that were cool and treated me fair I couldn't tell you there names or what they looked like. The one cop who was a jerk, I can tell you his name and what he looked like. That was 4 years ago. There is nothing worst then a badge heavy cop.
Most people on this site understand that cops are just doing there job. but there seems to be some, that think cops are some of this ,and some of that. Cops are just doing there job as safe as they can so they can go home to there families. Just My Two

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lets see now....Life without police, and the courts, and the governing bodys that make up our judicial systems.

Total tyranny!! Then who would ya wine at when the top of the pecking order kicked ass on ya? There are good and bad in any group/orginization, A$$holes are every where, It's the way life is, and ain't shit ya can do about it if you ain't God all mighty his self.

I agree with ID Moose.

I been on the wrong side of the law before, I knew it, and I didn't snivel about it. If ya disagree with the officer go to court, it's the first of your rights as a FREE man. And quite frankly, I wouldn't do the job for the meager pay a officer gets for the danger and crap they face every day. And we ALL have bad days. I just had one,,,,,can ya tell?:darn:
Yep me too. I never tried to BS out of it. Plead guilty, did my time and I have always been courtious to cops even when they had me cuffed and were hauling my ass to jail back in my Cali drinking days. Except of one cop Baptista, a black cop and we hated each other. My Dad was a fireman in the Bay Area and half his buddies were cops. Those guys got away with shit we could only dream of. That ain't right no matter who you are even if your name is Alberto:rotfl:

As far as your tires there buddy boy, me and you both knew it was coming. They just caught you first. He only gave you a warning so it could of been worse. I think if he read this he would have second thoughts next time he seen you:shame:

So take your Dads advise here and just roll with it. We also need to take a look at some of those mud flap mods the guys have where they can just pull them off at the trail head. We have came up with a dozen ideas for making them more trail worthy , lets just put some effort into making them street legal, or like John said Trailer it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its kind of funny to me, I know all the laws and even though my Burb looks pretty stupid with the drop bumpers and semi mudflaps I have never been pulled over. I know my headlights are illegal and my tires stick out too far but I believe they see the mudflaps stick out as far as the tires and I make an effort.
Plus they may be worried you would roll over them like a Beer can and flatten them into the pavement:rotfl:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts