Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I would like to thank Weiser for putting on a good race. I was amazed at how many rigs showed up to race :thumb:. You seemed to get a lot of raffle items and Dash-for-cash to give away to spectators which shows me Weiser has community support. With that said, I have some thoughts/reactions about the race that will help for next year.

1. Tractor -
    • Make sure that Weiser has everything they need to put on the race. I don't know the story behind the tractor mess up but it could have been VERY ugly because the pit could not be groomed. It was especially bad because of the rigs that screwed around the night before made a complete mess of the pits. Even with trying to run the 2 wheel drive tractor back and forth in the pits, it left them unsafe. Glen and Mark demonstrated how an umgroomed pit can jerk the best drivers right out of the pit or into the berm causing damage to the rigs.
    • The time wasted pulling rigs out because they got stuck in the ungroomed pit got old FAST. To add to the frustration of both the drivers AND the crowd was the VERY long intermission because we were trying our best to do something with the pits to make them better for the lower classes and safer to us in the upper classes. I don't know how many spectators left at intermission but I know we had friends that left from the pit side early because of the wait.
  2. Payback -
    • The payback in the lower classes was awesome because of the number of rigs that showed up to race in those classes. However, I don't think Weiser understands yet what it takes to have people and rigs show up to race in the upper classes. The costs associated in building and maintaining rigs in these classes far exceeds those in the lower classes. The number of rigs that race in the upper classes is inherently lower and because of this a supplimented guarenteed payback is expected at events like Weisers' to bring in more upper class rigs. $28 for first place and $16 for second in Pro Mud was embarrassing, especially in light of the hundreds of dollars given out in the lower classes. Perhaps something can be figured out with the local sponsors to kick in prize money in the upper classes that generally have just a few rigs racing.
  3. Length of pits -
    • I think there is enough room to lengthen the pits to 175'. What do folks think? If we could have groomed the pits this time would the 150' have been too short?
  4. Class rules -
    • There was some kind of mis-communication on the rules. We need to make sure a current set of rules is available to Weiser for next year.
  5. Loud Speakers -
    • It was almost impossible to hear anything the announcer was saying on the pit side. I was supprised that we didn't have more mess ups with the stageing of the race rigs. (Thanks Steve, you did a good job of keeping folks lined up). It would be nice to be able to hear what the announcer is saying on the pit side.
  6. Information available to the drivers -
    • Copies of the rules and the run order should be handed out to the drivers as they come through the gate. Having those available would help us to know what to expect and when.
I want to make it clear that these thoughts are not meant as complaints but what I believe would make next year even better than this year. I would like to hear what Courtneys' thoughts are on how things went. I do know that there was a good sized crowd of spectators and we had an awesome turnout of racers. :thumb:

Thank You once again Courtney for all your hard work and those who helped you. We, the racers, really appreciate the effort you put into this. :beer::thumb:.

Darrel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Darrel,
Thank you for the feedback. I've been remiss in not addressing the forum prior to today. I really appreciate the support given to Weiser by the "regular mud boggers" who have attended the last few years. I'd like to just give an update as to this year's event scheduled for 10/4/08.

1 - Tractor - WHAT A MESS last year. I apologize profusely! The water was applied to the pits prior to final grooming and then there was no way for our tractor guy, Jeff, to address them.

2 - Pay back - I completely agree with the small purse for the upper classes. We are well on our way to working out corporate sponsorships to greatly increase those purses. It was also due to my ignorance of the other area mud bog procedures in terms of splitting up the total racing fees over the entire event rather than keep them separated by class. We are working very hard to increase pay back.

3 - Length of pits - We would not be opposed to lengthening the pits, great idea! Just Safety is a priority, though, however if we can lengthen and remain safe, let's do it!

4 - Class rules - Puh-leeze, puh-leeze, Send me an updated version of the class rules / descriptions. We definitely want to remain on the same page and show consistency with all the other area races.

5 - Loud Speakers - Another issue we are working on. We have purchased a (hopefully) better sound system. We'll be doing some testing to make sure. Also if "Steve" has been the one to help stage and set up, thank you, kudos, huge appreciation to you for all you've done for Weiser!

6 - Information available - We will be putting together a "program" for the drivers, spectators, etc., this year to hand out all over the event. We will include the run order, the sponsors, the door prize info, etc., along with information about the other events going on in our community that might be of some interest to contestants, spectators, etc.

The bottom line... Just thank you so much for "mentoring" me through this process. Please send me all the constructive criticism you can, you want, you have. Our goal is to make this a great, fun, safe event that can continue for years. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any information you'd like to share. I want to know if there is something out there that can improve our event.

ALSO - please see the Weiser Chamber's website. Weiser Chamber of Commerce - Welcome We are in the process of adding a Mud Bog page to it that will have all the information listed along with a pdf version of the registration forms, rules, class descriptions and a map. We hope to have the page completed by next week at the latest.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!! Looking forward to this year!

=) Courtney / Weiser Mud Bog

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
<<<steve

The staging was a lot of hard work, but I felt it was worth it to keep the event running smooth.

It shows to the racers how much this race means to the people of Weiser.

We are going to do our best to come up from Utah to make this great once a year event.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Courtney,
Here is the thread with all the current rules for the different tracks we are familier with. http://www.planet4x4.net/forums/mud-racing-bogging/9755-mud-racing-rules-here.html Each track lists the tire size in Stock as 31" or 33" or OEM size. Some trucks these days come from the factory (OEM) with larger tires, like the H2 that comes with 35" tires, the new Jeep Wranglers come with 32" tires. The rule is suppose to keep whatever rig a person races completely stock as it was available from the factory. So far this hasn't been a big issue but for someone like me, who can get pretty anal about things like this, I can foresee someone who has an older truck that came with 29" tires having to race another "Stock" rig that came with 35" tires getting upset. Someday this may have to be figured out, but for now as long as the rules say "OEM/DOT tires" you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'll start it. Courney asked for feedback to this years race.

First off...WOW! What a turn out. More than anyone expected. Obviously, Weiser is turning into one of the biggest races of the year. Thanks to all the drivers for supporting the race. Too bad we ran out of daylight to keep it safe. Who would have expected it to start at 1:30 or so and go untill it got too dark to race anymore?

Now my thoughts. I think the pit was dug too deep and before long the rigs dug it further and it got into the water table and things got way too thick and deep. This resulted in most rigs getting stuck. This takes waaayyy too much time to tow so many rigs out. Watching rigs get stuck after a few seconds of racing and then waiting many minutes watching them get pulled out got old fast. The pit couldn't even get groomed good because the tractor even got stuck.

That's it! Other than the pit becoming too deep because it was dug too deep to begin with, I think it went well. The issue with not being able to finish the second passes for a lot of folks was the result of so much time being taken having to pull stuck rigs out.

Other thoughts?

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I think all complaints could have been avoided if the pit was a little shallower. I spoke with the people who dug the pit, and it was built about 18" deep. He mentioned making a compact bottom for next year then only 8 to 12" of mud.

Great turn out, great event, will be back next year! GOOD JOB WEISER!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Next year I think we need to fill in the old pits and start over. 12 inches deep. In 4 more years we can start over again.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Courtney, Please contact Toni at Bucks' 4x4. Thanks. Also, have gotten an OK from the city council if the mud race is a go?

Thanks again,
Darrel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just checking in here... we are getting ready for the Weiser Mud Drag on October 3, 2009. I've attached a pdf version of our poster if anyone would like to download and print it.

We have adopted the DIRT rules and regulations and have adjusted for the changes since the Richfield race.

Our forms will be available on the www.weiserchamber.com website under the Chamber sponsored events page.

One BIG change.. in order to not run into the loss of day light that we encountered last year, we have decided to start 2 hours earlier. We are unable to do anything about lighting this year and the only way to fix this problem is to start earlier.

Driver gates will open at 8:00am, Driver's meeting at 10:30am and Races to start at 11:00am. There will be free overnight dry camping on site for those who need it. Please contact me if you would like to camp.

We are REALLY looking forward to this year's event and have made some good changes to help make this event run a lot smoother (slicker, slippier, and all other words descriptive of mud!) Ha ha!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So....the photo shows what NOT to do :D. Going out of the pit isn't a good thing! Try to keep it in this time Glen (and so will I :eek:).

·
Registered
22 Posts
The photo in our flyer/poster is courtesy of Itsamudthing.com. What an awesome job Laura does in photography!!!!

I've attached a new poster for our event. This year we have to get really strict with the alcohol on site per our City Council and Chief of Police. We will no longer be allowing anyone to bring outside alcohol in to the race in coolers. There will be Coors products available on site for those who are interested. We also must be responsible and not allow anyone to race who has been drinking either. Not that I'm aware of any problems, but just to make sure we are being good citizens. Also... absolutely everyone will be ID'd, please don't be offended.

We will be shifting the lanes over a little to allow for fresh lanes and a longer shut down area. The original route for the drivers will be used again, so the spectators and drivers will not have to use the same entrance. YAY!

We are also having 3 food vendors this year, Idaho Pizza serving ... pizza... ha! and Weiser Classic Candy serving hamburgers and hotdogs and more. We are also having a local organization serve breakfast items, too.

I have also attached a copy of the site map for those who are interested.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your support in the Weiser Mud Races!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hi Courtney,

I copied your message and posted it over in the "Mud Racing and Bogging" thread. I hope that's ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts