Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is a Cherokee for sale on base here. I was thinking about buying it for the axles and maybe motor and selling everything else. My only questions are what size motor would it have? It is a V8 but would it be a 360 or could it be a 401 or 304, and what do I check to find out? Second question is would it be okay to run an offset rear axle in my CJ with a centered output D20?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm not up to speed on FSJs, but I think it was just the 360s in those? Every one I've seen had a 360 in it.

Your D20 Case is centered I take it (not very familar with that t case). For trail only it could probably work, but that rear diff is offset quite a bit. Would be funky driveline angles.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, with the short wheelbase and the offset on the rear axle I'm a little skeptical if it will work.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It could either be a 401 or 360 depending on the year. It will be stamped in the block right under the motor mount. You can run the off set rear axle with a CV rear shaft with no problem. Many people have done that mod. What year is the rig?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what year it is. I didn't see it on the paper, but I'm gonna go look at it again after work. Is there a rig I can look for a cv driveshaft in at a junkyard. I'm trying go cheap with this thing.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I went and looked at it again. It is a 76 4 door Wagoneer with a 401 and auto (don't those things have TH400, that's what the pan looked like) w/quadratrack. I noticed the front shaft has a cv joint so I'm thinking I can canibalize something together for a rear driveshaft from that. I'm gonna meet the guy tomorrow and try to work out a deal. Maybe I'll put a 401 in the CJ. :drive:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yes it is a TH-400 with the AMC bell housing. depending on your spline count on your Dana 20 and the front out put spline count on the quadratrac. The yokes will directly interchange. When I had the quadra track in my waggy I had a dana 20 1350 series yoke on the rear out put shaft of the quadra trac. I just don't know if the angle of operation on the QT front CV is enough for a rear axle application

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well hmmm. Anybody have a suggestion on where to find a cv joint?

I did some checking and I found out wags in that year range also have flat top knuckles. That's good news for me because I'll probably be doing a SOA when I swap the axles in.

Anyway, as long as this thing runs okay, I think I'm gonna pick it up. So if anyone is looking for some wagoneer parts this thing looks pretty complete, but I really have no knowledge about full size jeeps.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
6 States would be able to build you up a nice CV driveshaft. They have 2 shops in Boise and 1 in Twin Falls.
Jim's Driveline prolly could do the same.

I paid about $600 for both driveshafts on my Jeep.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I said cheap. I'm probably going to be getting the whole waggy for less than that, no more for sure. :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
You could find a junkyard CV shaft and have it built to the proper length. Hell if the thing is just for the trails, get some square tubing and make your own. Jamake-it style :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
:thumb: for a trail rig you can't beat the square shafts, I also looked at that Waggy, It's the same year rig I used the front 44 and front leafs for my YJ. Best thinig I did was match up a toy rear end to go with the pass drop front and use a dana 300, 6 lugs and the right width.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking and I think it does have flat tops. I haven't ever seen flat tops in person though so I'll let you tell me. Are these flat tops? Both sides look like this.

wag 003 (Small).jpg

It also has these cool wheels that will match the paint on my CJ pretty well. :thumb:

wag 002 (Small).jpg

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I picked it up today for $450. Not too bad in my opinion for a running driving vehicle like this. Only thing is it pulls really hard to the right. As soon as you let go of the wheel it makes a beeline for the ditch. What would cause that on a straight axled rig? Balljoints?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
ball or tow, what's that?

It's probably got some funked up alignment if it's pulling. Doesn't really matter if your gonna pull the axles out of it anyhow.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
JoshH said:
Well, I picked it up today for $450. Not too bad in my opinion for a running driving vehicle like this. Only thing is it pulls really hard to the right. As soon as you let go of the wheel it makes a beeline for the ditch. What would cause that on a straight axled rig? Balljoints?
Those tires dont look so great, could be uneven wear or pressure, also could be a toe in or toe out problem like stated above. I am guessing both.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know what it is now. It is power steering bleedover in the steering box. If I'm rolling down the road and shut off the engine it tracks straight as an arrow.

Owyhee Rock Man, I may be getting in touch with you about the stuff you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts