Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just so you know the real history of may 5....
Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England.
In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for
delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the
great ship after its stop in New York.
This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico.
But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.
The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.
The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do the letters F. O. meen anything to ya? :flipoff:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Perhaps it is just a coincidence that mayo is also used as a salad dressing and that there is a type of lettuce called iceberg.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoshH said:
Perhaps it is just a coincidence that mayo is also used as a salad dressing and that there is a type of lettuce called iceberg.
It's a F'n conspiracy I tell ya

·
Registered
385 Posts
muddinmike said:
Just so you know the real history of may 5....
Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England.
In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for
delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the
great ship after its stop in New York.
This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico.
But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.
The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.
The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.
Nice one! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
55 Posts
That is exactly why I substitute Mayo for salt around the ring of my margarita glass on Sinko de Mayo, in true commemoration of the holiday.

Good story, but it would make a little bit more sense if it were actually a Confederate war ship carrying the mayo in an attempt win Mexico over and gain their alliance for the civil war; because the celebration of Cinco de Mayo dates back to 1862.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Don't even talk to me about Cinco de Mayo. The Mexicans decided to have a big party today at the park. I get home from work this afternoon and there are cars parked all around my house, 1 even in my driveway. Just had time to pull out the tow strap to haul that out and the owner ran over to move it. "Oh... I didn't know anyone lived here". :darn:

Lowrider Caddy's and Cutlasses doing burnouts and running ther air bags up and down the Alley. People walking through my yard.

And loud ass spanish music... wore earplugs all day!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts