Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a ticket in my parking lot at my job for not having "mudguards" I realize that my tires stick out and I do not run mud flaps on the jeep, but the cop that issued the citation was not sure what the law was. The officer could not(did not know how to) explain his interpretation of the law to me and would not explain how to make the cops stay away from me.

I realize this is just one incident, but the cop told me that mudflaps cover the tops of the tires and my tires stuck out too far.

This in fact would be a fender infraction. I questioned this difference because my concern is that the officer could still give me a citation in the future if I was to add mudflaps, ---as he had told me was my infraction. The officer said, "I dont know what it is, I think I wrote mudguards on the ticket".

The citation is the same for either _" 49-949"_ and is as follows for my rig:

(c) Behind all wheels of every motor vehicle other than trucks, buses, semitrailers, or trailers, the fenders or covers shall extend in full width from a point above and forward of the center of the tire over and to the rear of the wheel to a point that is not more than twenty (20) inches above the surface of the highway, unless the bumper is a factory built bumper fastened directly to the frame of the vehicle pursuant to factory installation requirements;

just an FYI

:angryfir: :banghead: :angryfir: :banghead: :angryfir: :banghead: :angryfir: :banghead: :angryfir: :banghead: :angryfir: :banghead: :deal:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Should have just slapped the mudflaps on a long time ago. If you look like you are trying they will leave you alone for the most part. At least in my experience. My 40's stick out almost as far and I run those ugly mudflaps just to look like I am making an effort not that I like them. :finger:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I pimp my shower curtains behind my truck for the ho's.

Okay actually I got a ticket last year for no flaps :finger:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
49-949. REQUIREMENT AS TO FENDER OR COVERS OVER ALL WHEELS ON MOTOR
VEHICLES

Relevant mudflap law:
Behind all wheels of every motor vehicle other than trucks, buses,
semitrailers, or trailers, the fenders or covers shall extend in full
width from a point above and forward of the center of the tire over and to
the rear of the wheel to a point that is not more than twenty (20) inches
above the surface of the highway, unless the bumper is a factory built
bumper fastened directly to the frame of the vehicle pursuant to factory
installation requirements
What this says to me is if you have a factory bumper in the factory position you aren't required to have mudflaps. fyi the trucks they are talking about are 18 wheelers

Fender law:
When measured on the cross sections of the tread of the wheel or on
the combined cross sections of the treads of multiple wheels, the fender
or cover extends at least to each side of the width of the tire or of the
combined width of the multiple tires, as the case may be
So it sounds like the width of the tire must be covered at all times but you aren't required to have mudflaps unless you have an aftermarket bumper or it isn't in the factory location.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
nice loop hole but I bet they can fawk you on lifted trucks anyway

·
Registered
56 Posts
A year or two ago I was given a "fix it or ticket" type of written warning for having no fender flares. I was pulled over on the Connector for this. Obviously a cop that had nothing better to do. :roll:

It said I had 72 hours to get it fixed and have it signed and inspected by a sheriff. The annoying thing was, he said to me "Did you know it's illegal to modify any vehicle from it's factory specifications?" I said, "Are you sure it's that way in this state?" He said, "I think so". What a load of BS.

But, as luck would have it, I met with the Idaho 4x4 club at a meeting the next night, and John there is a sheriff. He came outside, looked at it, and then signed my form for me.

But I do make sure I have flaps and fenders anymore so as to not get hassled.

Heather

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Actually in Idaho according to the Idaho blue book the mudflap (fender extension) has to be no more than 10" off the road surface Check out http://www3.state.id.us/idstat/TOC/49009KTOC.html for the whole lowdown on the rules and regs. the interesting part is that they use the term wheel when they should be using the term tire, I got out of two tickets because of this :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
twistedjack said:
Should have just slapped the mudflaps on a long time ago. If you look like you are trying they will leave you alone for the most part. At least in my experience. My 40's stick out almost as far and I run those ugly mudflaps just to look like I am making an effort not that I like them. :finger:
I dont even care what it looks like, I just need the setup to be functional. I will indeed take your advice and I am on my way to D&B to get those truck monster flares like Bret has.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hcgalvin said:
A year or two ago I was given a "fix it or ticket" type of written warning for having no fender flares. I was pulled over on the Connector for this. Obviously a cop that had nothing better to do. :roll:

It said I had 72 hours to get it fixed and have it signed and inspected by a sheriff. The annoying thing was, he said to me "Did you know it's illegal to modify any vehicle from it's factory specifications?" I said, "Are you sure it's that way in this state?" He said, "I think so". What a load of BS.

But, as luck would have it, I met with the Idaho 4x4 club at a meeting the next night, and John there is a sheriff. He came outside, looked at it, and then signed my form for me.

But I do make sure I have flaps and fenders anymore so as to not get hassled.

Heather
I know john, and was honestly shocked that Idaho does not have fixit tickets. it is a citation and I have been fined $43.00

·
Registered
155 Posts
nate law book states headlights no less than 24 from ground and no more than 54"/ taillights 20/ 72".

all of the tire must be covered and rear mud flaps not more than 20" above the surface of the road.

and let me find you the bumper law later.

shop bitch

·
Registered
155 Posts
nate the police just look for flaps and flares and they do have fix it tickets i got one last year from ISP for flaps and flares.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mtngoat said:
nate the police just look for flaps and flares and they do have fix it tickets i got one last year from ISP for flaps and flares.
The officer specifically stated that ID does not have fixit tickets, believe me i made a fuss about it. I will check into this further, but I was informed by the officer that there are no fixit tickets in idaho. Perhaps they have been eliminated, or he was misleading me. I will find out for sure.

I do have cali plates still, but that will change this week, as long as I can get the jeep registered :deal:

got the flaps at D&B for $12.99ea. didnt think that was too bad, but it is still $30 for rubber flaps. :banghead:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts