Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

Which Transmission should I use

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in another thread I am swapping the heads on my wrangler for mpi. It was suggested that I put the auto tranny in as well. So, I am wondering what the general consensus is. I have always been a manual tranny guy so it would be a change for me. If you vote auto, please let me know why. I currently have a T-18 with a 6.32 granny first. The auto would be an aw4. Either would be followed by an Atlas II 4.3 and 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've got the T-18 6.32 in my CJ right now. Seriously considering auto, but I'm gonna try and get better with the manual first. The reason I am considering an auto is the clutch has got me in more trouble than is has got me out of. Of course just adding a hand throttle made a huge difference in my driving, and is probably the only reason I am considering keeping the t-18.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I voted for the auto. I have wheeled both and I have to say the auto is the way to go. Much more control and much easier on axles and drivelines. No more burned and slipping clutches either. I did like the T-18 in my Jeep, for the brief time it was in there, but, after wheeling an auto, I have no regrets on the switch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have both auto and manual trans in my Heeps. I like both of them for some things.

In technical stuff I like the manual (I know I am weird) but you do have to have low enough gears. With 36" tires I would say that 110:1 is the minimum that I would go with. I also run an 18 transfercase with a 25% overdrive so I can split all of my gears.

I really like the compression brake of the manual. I find that half the time I am going down a steep incline with the auto I am in neutral so that I do not drive through the brakes.

Another problem that I have had with an auto is cooling. I know that this is a problem with a solution but if you do go with an auto be sure to have plenty of cooling.

This is just my 2 cents. I know that other people feel that the auto is the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Why the Asian Warner instaed of the RE series auto?

I'm swapping in a auto and getting rid of the T-18 in my rig.
I guess it just depends on what motor is in there. I like the AW4 because it is fairly reliable (thats one up on the chrysler trannys) and so readily available in those mall running cherokees. Since it is a bolt on and there is an aftermarket following, it seems like a great swap.

If I was throwing WJ or ZJ v8 in a wrangler, then I would likely use that tranny too.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
My auto is the best thing I have done to my rig. I have much better control and am very proficient with a manual. Everything is smoother and I love being able to enjoy the drive. I have a good tcase ratio, so downhill isn't as important to me. Good luck.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I much prefer the auto on a 4x4 (and a stick when hooning about in a sports car.) The auto allows you to avoid the three pedals-two legs confusion that can occur when you're balancing your ride on its side or going over the top. You won't kill the engine with a mistimed pedal change.

Lastly, the auto accepts and, at least the way I've pictured it, meters out the driveline stresses linearly whe you stomp on the Go pedal. If you're in gear and not feathering your clutch, those same stresses hit the driveline like a wave and their fully telegraph downstream. All the bolts / straps / u-joints / bearing surfaces / etc. downstream of your first gear reduction (and the second when in 4 low) are feeling that wave greatly multiplied as your torque sequentially spikes up. With an auto there's not a torque spike...there's a torque ramp.

Again, that's the way I picture it. While I'm okay with mechanical theory, I couldn't diagnose or rebuild a transmission (auto or manual) to save my life.

By the way, there's a new kit out to let you put a 4L60E (including a stand-alone brain for the tranny electronics) on Jeep's 4.0 I-6. Its 3.06 first gear is very respectable for a slushbox (though it's no 6.32).

-Mikey-

·
Registered
40 Posts
I voted man 18, but I am kind of split. I do like the idea of wheeling in auto (most of my other rigs of dif makes and mods have been auto), but I do like the gear control and so forth with a man trany. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Figure the torque convertor is roughly 2:1... so possible to have 6.12

By the way, there's a new kit out to let you put a 4L60E (including a stand-alone brain for the tranny electronics) on Jeep's 4.0 I-6. Its 3.06 first gear is very respectable for a slushbox (though it's no 6.32).

-Mikey-

·
Registered
360 Posts
Figure the torque convertor is roughly 2:1... so possible to have 6.12
Someday I need to dig around the 'net and figure out how one of those works. Beyond inertia of tranny fluid in channels causing expansion, that is. And I don't even know that part - it's just one quick explanation a friend gave me. He was sober at the time, so I can't necessarily trust what he said.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a T-18 in my jeep and it is the best tranny I have ever had. I can do most of my crawling without using low range but when I need its there. Going down hill is awsome too. I like manuals too though Either way have fun :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts