Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I just have quick question about suspension lifts. Everyone loves a truck with a suspension lift there is a somewhat cool factor to a lifted truck my question is how much is too much(for towing that is). At what height lift do you start to compromise the towing ability of your truck whether it be an suv or a pickup?

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
I guess it depends on what your lifting and what your towing. A four door longbed could get away with quite a bit and a dually even more. I dont see a 4" lift would hurt much at all on most things.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Now thats a truck! :shock:

The big Bias Ply tires might gove you a problem. They could induce side to side sway and might be an issue if you have to change lanes fast or something. A 38" radial might be a better tire.

How is the gearing on the truck and what rear axle is it running? With a big tire and a trailor you'll want some low gears so you have some power and a decent rear axle.

I had a stepside with 38" radials and I towed a car trailor around. It wasnt too bad but it was very gutless. Looked cool though. :mrgreen:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Power is no problem it has around 600hp at the flywheel/ Dana 60 front and rear axles(complete with detroit locker)/4:10 gears/700r4 tranny. Its just he has never attempted to tow with it and he doesnt know if it would be able to tow my camaro+trailer.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Bias ply tires arent' the best to tow with but if you drive your truck around a bit(without the trailer) before taking off with the trailer I would think it would help also building the proper hitch to keep your trailer level would be very important but I say go for it. that would be too cool to pull up to a dragstrip with that truck towing a drag car. :thumb: Just that might be worth some of the compromises :rotfl: :rotfl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts