Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 75 Suburban and it gets REAL hot in their being black primer & all - - been throwing this idea around for a while that I want to somehow make the 2 rear door windows and the 2 back (long) side windows tilt out somehow.

Someone mentioned the idea of checking to see if the older Blazer - slider windows would fit in there. Anybody know the measurements and if they are the same?? I don't believe so but thought I would check on here with the experts.

Second question - if they don't match up - does anyone know how I would go about doing this or where I could take it to get it done?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!! - Lesley

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
lol that was me lesley, I would say, go out to jalopy jungle with a notebook and a tape measure, and check and see. My idea for the 2 rear door windows, was check the vans with the pop out rear windows. I know they have a blazer top out there, 73-91 blazers all had the same size glass. Same as 73-91 suburbans had the same size, do they match? i dunno lol.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts

well the rear of the window is definately different
the front appears the same

If you got everything out of a blazer, you might be able to have a glass shop make the small rear part (since its a slider) then it might drop in, using the sub gasket, blazer front vent & sliders, and a custom rear piece.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I did a search on www.car-part.com the closest place that has the blazer side windows, is CBASS in payette. But only about half the yards are on car-part. The price was $55 per side, complete assembly.

oh yeah, paint the roof white!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve! I couldn't remember for sure if you were the one that came up with the van window thing or someone else!

I will get out this weekend and do some measuring! I don't know for sure about the white roof!!! I'm hoping it won't have to be black for to much longer!!

Hey - maybe if I spent more time working and less time on here and the Nascar website I could actually have some money to paint it!!! Lol.

Thanks again!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Just put a blazer top on it. Make a cage and mount the top to that. I would do it but then I think they would up class me out of MT

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Lehi- I doubt it would affect anything class wise if you had the top on it.....

Lesley-My mind works in spurts...you might be able to have a glass shop make the rear portion out of the stock burban side window.

I would also measure the length on the 76-91 blazer top and see where the front of it would fall on the burban. To make it work right you would need the burban top, and some parts of the blazer tub, Like around the back of the cab where the seal goes. It would leave you with a roof over all 4 doors, but a removable top for the back. Would be a retro avalanche:rotfl:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for all the info -

Chris - I am tinting the windows within the next 2 weeks & I would love for the AC to work but - I am missing the hoses, Compressor & brackets.

Lehi - I love the idea of the cage & Blazer top - I was thinking that a while back! I have the Barn doors in the back though so not sure what all we would need to do to change that.

Steve - I was planning on calling glass shops too to see what they can do.

I still have a couple weeks to figure it out before I'm driving it again - My front axle is shot (thanks to a 17 year old in a Honda Accord - by the way 35" tires leave a beautiful perfect doughnut on the rear door of a Honda Accord). We are putting Rocky's front axle under the Burb and he's going to be a 1 ton man here soon!

Anyone have any AC parts they are looking to sell or trade or something???

Thanks again! - Lesley

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I still may have some parts off my 73 and may have some of an 89 I will look what ever I have you can have just pay the ride to Boise ( I am in Idaho Falls) Of course it always seams like there are poeple coming back and forth too so we can probably work something out

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be awesome!!! I know Caleb comes that way sometimes - I'm sure he would be glad to bring it back to me:bowdown: :bowdown: . Let me know what you find out and I can send some beverages or something your way for your time!!!

- lesley

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Kaleb is gonna be in vegas this weekend, but his truck is in idaho falls, He's heading back to boise very late monday night from I.F.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Normally - I have always tinted my own windows and quite a few other vehicles roaming around town - I think though that I would like to have the Burb done somewhere professionally. Anybody have some good referrals they would ike to offer up. - I definitely want it done right! Not the cheapest but the best!

Thanks!!! - Lesley

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE to my old post -

For those who care - I found slider windows for my Burb in the LMC Catalog - says I need to use the original rubber which is fine- I just need to call around to glass shops for installation prices- should be done in the next 4-6 weeks

- Lesley

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't know they made them either - but I found them smack in the middle of the LMC Truck Catalog - $395 for the pair - but it will be well worth it!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts