Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to stretch the wheelbase on my CJ-5. I want to get it into the CJ-7 length range. I would like to use XJ springs for the rear to gain about 4 inches. But, for the front I don't know whether to use Dodge dakota springs or Ford F-150 springs. How would these rear springs hold up to the weight of a 350 chevy and winch and bumper?

The dakota springs are shorter but have more offset, about 10 inches. Will this effect the pinion angle and caster when mounted? Would it be best to correct for the change with a longer shackle or degree shims?

I know this is alot but any help would be appreciated. :banghead:

·
Registered
781 Posts
are either of those springs the right lenght to bolt on to your spring hangers or are they going to have to be moved? if so you can make up for pinion angle with the new mounts to a point, watch your caster angle it is critical :thumb: you will pobably have to add a leaf or two out of another pack to make them hold the weight, might take a little trial and error :thumb:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
you can use either of those springs if you want, but they would require that you relocate the shackle hangers and the leafspring mounts. I just moved the front axle forward 6" on my jeep (90YJ) using waggoneer leaf springs and moving the spring hanger forward 4"

I'll post pics once I can get the digi to load onto the comp

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Poison Spyder full size axle kit. I am going to move it forward a few inches with frame extensions depending on the spring I use. The psc kit is adjustable. The shackle hanger can be moved a few inches either way.

how did you lengthen your frame?

I guess I will have to make a trip to a few salvage yards and see if I can find some springs and try them out.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I am useing rear dodge springs on the front of a blazer and on my zuk I used rear sami springs up front too. You really won't know how well they hold up until you run them a bit. You can make a custom leaf pack pretty easy just make sure the springs are the same width and expect to expirement some. As far as which springs to use just hold them up there and see which ones will work the best. It would be a good idea to get your caster checked :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Nate, That looks like BOOTY FAB!! LOL Just teasing ya!! You rig is more then cabeable, that is if you STOP punchin holes in your diff...

LOL!!

And by the way, whats this WEBUILT CRAPOLA!!! Your Runnin with the HILL BILLY ROCK KREW NOW aren't YA??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up some xj springs this weekend in Boise. I will put those in the rear and add a couple of leaves to the pack.

Has anyone on here had any work done by Martin Spring Works in Pocatello?

Now I have to decide what to put up front. I think dakota springs with some more leaves will give me what I want up front.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Has anyone on here had any work done by Martin Spring Works in Pocatello?
Yes, I have. I would recommend going to the place in Idaho Falls. They understand trucks and 4x4's. The place here in Pocatello gave me a bunch of shit and I have tried them a few times over the years.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
allusee said:
Nate, That looks like BOOTY FAB!! LOL Just teasing ya!! You rig is more then cabeable, that is if you STOP punchin holes in your diff...

LOL!!

And by the way, whats this WEBUILT CRAPOLA!!! Your Runnin with the HILL BILLY ROCK KREW NOW aren't YA??
my significant other does not have a bender and a welder not to mention reputable fab shop :finger:
there is plenty of work left for the nose, including the hideous shackles, but that takes time which is very valuable to me right now

I was very happy with the extended WB this weekend, but I wont know if it made the specific difference that I was looking for until i get to the third waterfall on lost trail.

I am extremely happy with the predictability of the shackles being back out up front. I will get on my high horse about that setup from now on. SRS is a load a caca.

that damn paper thin cover :banghead:
much love for webilt

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the name of the sring shop in Idaho Falls? I didn't know there was one there. I would much rather deal with someone who has an understanding of what I want to do. Even if I have to travel a little. Is there one in the Boise area?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One more ?

I have figured out that I am going to run xj springs in the back with a full length add-a-leaf. I will also add two leaves out of yj pack that have the spring clamps on them to keep everything in line.

The question is in the front. I am going to get dodge dakota springs from j c whitney. There are two types a 2550 lb. heavy duty or a 1800 lb. spring both with 4 leaves?

I have a v-8 in the front and will have a winch, tube fenders, and bumper which all add quite a bit of weight. I want a fairly soft suspension that will flex good.

Which would be the best choice, IYO.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I think I would find out what the spring rate on YJ springs were and then on your CJ springs too and decide then which one to go with. It is easier to go down in rate then up in rate (unless you have some spare spring packs). I think a 3 leaf front spring would probably be alright that way you could get the heavier ones and then take a leaf out if they were not as flexy. One thing to watch out for is if you are spring over you may want to consider some type of traction bar device for the front it will make those leaves live alot longer as they will probably be flexed way beyond what the spring manufacture intended them to be and that combined with axles wrap in the front will eat springs alive. :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
781 Posts
the spring place in IF is automotive springs and overloads 524-3650, they are not the most knowledgeable about our sport, but there getting better and real nice guys willing to do all they can for you :thumb:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I finally got my dakota springs. Now the problem is the bolt for the main eye on the springs is smaller than the bolt hole on the shackle hanger. Should I find a bushing to hold the bolt in the spring hanger or close up the hole by welding a piece on the outside of the bolt hole and re-drilling it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts